Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Shield vs Focus for DPS (Hatred in 5.9)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Shadow / Assassin
Shield vs Focus for DPS (Hatred in 5.9)

SilverWF's Avatar


SilverWF
10.10.2018 , 11:20 AM | #1
So, I am running dps Sin in Hatered. Mostly solo, with the rare cases of random ops.
And I was wonder: what a difference in between Shield and Focus
Here is a comparison for 230 rating gear:

https://i.imgur.com/cAuyTdQ.jpg

So, with shield I'm loosing
145,4 bonus damage (~5%) and 107,5 bonus healing
but getting
5% shield chance with 20% shield absorbtion.

Just wanna ask: is it worth it or not?

TheGreyRanger's Avatar


TheGreyRanger
10.10.2018 , 11:31 AM | #2
I don't think hatred has the right charge to activate a shield, so shield will not do anything for you.

SilverWF's Avatar


SilverWF
10.10.2018 , 12:18 PM | #3
So, you mean, that in the Hatred shield didn't work completely, even that 5% are not really applies?

Rion_Starkiller's Avatar


Rion_Starkiller
10.10.2018 , 12:22 PM | #4
The shield should work in dps spec at 5%, but it is not advisable. You're a dps, so dps.
Beruhl / Zenovia / Lobotomy / Warpunk
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Quote: Originally Posted by Trolltar View Post
I believe he's quoting a frequent contributor to these forums. His name is Strawman.
Quote: Originally Posted by Lunafox View Post
Thanks Rion Starbrah.

xMaranathax's Avatar


xMaranathax
10.10.2018 , 01:34 PM | #5
AFAIK, the shield will not even trigger for the 5%, because the tank stance turns the shield generator on. Run a focus.

Even if it did, you wont see enough of a difference to actually care, so run a focus.

Talyc'jatne
Aliit ori'shya tal'din

AdjeYo's Avatar


AdjeYo
10.10.2018 , 03:17 PM | #6
Honestly a 5% chance for 20% reduction is very low, only reducing the damage you take by 1%. However, not even all attacks are shieldable to begin with, so you're reducing the damage you take by less than 1%, I wouldn't bother using a shield as a dps if I were you. Even for solo stuff the reduced damage wouldn't be enough to be noticable, and for group stuff I can guarantee that your healer won't be able to tell the difference.

Rion_Starkiller's Avatar


Rion_Starkiller
10.10.2018 , 03:46 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by xMaranathax View Post
AFAIK, the shield will not even trigger for the 5%, because the tank stance turns the shield generator on. Run a focus.

Even if it did, you wont see enough of a difference to actually care, so run a focus.
IIRC, there is a 5% base chance baked into the shield. You get an extra +15% if you are in tank stance, for a total of 20% base shield chance and 20% base absorb without any mods (in tank spec).

It's possible it has changed since the old days, but this is how it used to work.
Beruhl / Zenovia / Lobotomy / Warpunk
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Quote: Originally Posted by Trolltar View Post
I believe he's quoting a frequent contributor to these forums. His name is Strawman.
Quote: Originally Posted by Lunafox View Post
Thanks Rion Starbrah.

AdjeYo's Avatar


AdjeYo
10.10.2018 , 03:50 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Rion_Starkiller View Post
IIRC, there is a 5% base chance baked into the shield. You get an extra +15% if you are in tank stance, for a total of 20% base shield chance and 20% base absorb without any mods (in tank spec).

It's possible it has changed from the old days, but this is how it used to work.
I can second this, you get the 5% shield chance even in dps spec.

Robocles's Avatar


Robocles
10.11.2018 , 09:41 AM | #9
Shields only activate in tank stances.

CarlGustaf's Avatar


CarlGustaf
10.11.2018 , 11:39 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Robocles View Post
Shields only activate in tank stances.
no, they activate every time you have one equipped. Just because Bioware writes something in the loading screen, it's not true.
Natsu Dragonslayer Eideley
YOLO on T3-M4

Gimp aus Leidenschaft