Dark side Consular works or not?

Tyreanthil

As subject line says, does this work at all, fun and story wise?

It seems to me dark side on republic side is overall borked, so I'm asking in advance, before I ruin or reasly choose my character's path

Thx so much in advance

PS I have not decided yet, shadow or sage btw.

Thank you!

I haven't progressed very far in that particular storyline but a DS consular seems incongruous considering

you spend all of Act 1 gallivanting around the galaxy selflessly sacrificing your own strength to shield the afflicted Jedi masters from the Sith plague

which would be an odd thing to do for a dark side aligned person to do.

In my personal opinion the Jedi Counselar is the only class with a class story that only makes sense with one alignment. While a dark side knight and a light side Sith Inquisitor seem borderline to me, a dark sided counselar would seem completely odd in the class story line.

The dark side guardian I could perceive as selfish, obsessed with fighting, becoming more and more mercyless with the enemies of the Republic, so I could make some sense out of it. As a Counselar your class story is deeplz entwined with the Jedi Order and Jedi lore, I couldn't see how the order would let a dark counselor advance in the ranks of the Jedi.

My advise: For all other classes choose the path you like, but for Counselar choose light side.

I leveled my Sentinel with my brother's sage. He went all light. Ive seen it before, so I decided to go dark on my Shadow. Seemed fitting and the choices seem merciful. Although if you've seen the light side comparison, it wouldn't be quite so. ;)

since they really don't know they can be relieved of such pain and suffering with your shield

A dark side consular makes perfect sense. Just because you make "dark side" choices doesn't mean you're attuned to the dark side of the force or that you're aligned with the sith philosophy, it just means you're more pragmatic. It's similar to the Paragon/Renegade choices in Mass Effect, regardless of the choices you make you're still a hero, you're still a good guy fighting for the republic against the evil of the sith, the only difference is in how you solve conflicts (lightsaber to the face or "hey here's my vital strength").

In the movies, you could say Mace Windu was a "dark side" jedi in SWTOR terms, what with him not trusting the kid star in the jedi order and choosing to kill Palpatine, even though killing prisioners is against the jedi code and even though he was right on both counts.

Lvl 44 Dark 3 Sage here.

To me going Dark doesn't make sense with the Consular story, at least in ACT 1.

I supposedly have this special power that allows me to shield people from mind control, yet after I break the spell and set them free...I... kill... them...? Where's the rehabilitation? Where's the second chance? Why would I kill them when I can send them off to be a hermit somewhere and meditate on the evil they have done while being mind controlled?

Doesn't make sense to me that the Jedi Council doesn't send someone to arrest me or at least investigate why everyone I am sent to save ends up dead lol. I have more Jedi blood on my saber than Malgus does.

Act 2 and 3 make far more sense to me as a Dark Jedi.

Darkside Consular makes perfect sense, but what I think bioware writers didn't realise is, you really have to read between the lines and make huge assumption for it to work.

how does this work? well

the reason to kill the masters over saving them could be seen as your consulars agreement and following of Ravijari's (spelling?) teachings from the prologue, he was all about killing the weak ect in order to gain more power..if ur going darkside u could assume that ur following his teachings,even tho bioware seem to have left this out, but it makes sense.....what doesnt tho is syo's complete 'ah thats to bad, oh well next time/...i swear he said that line 4 times.....that was put simply pathetic storyltelling, like rly rly shameful

as for the later chapters, darkside i feel is better for the consular then it was for the jedi knight...instead of acting as a mean bully type like the knight, the consulars choices are actually meaningful...i.e u kill 1 guy to save 1000, over killing him for fun...it gets rly good that way and works.

lol long :D

however ultimately darkside does work and in many parts is great, yet chapter 1 darkside actions are unexplained and full of holes that frankly, bioware writers should have stamped out 3 years + ago.

While I haven't tried it (as I usually play Empire), Light Side Empire storylines are actually quite awesome. You could argue that the Agent doesn't matter as they're kind of autonomous operators. Bounty Hunters that are LS are, as was said before about the Consulars, more pragmatic. Just slightly less bloodthirsty.

Darkside Consular makes perfect sense, but what I think bioware writers didn't realise is, you really have to read between the lines and make huge assumption for it to work.

how does this work? well

the reason to kill the masters over saving them could be seen as your consulars agreement and following of Ravijari's (spelling?) teachings from the prologue, he was all about killing the weak ect in order to gain more power..if ur going darkside u could assume that ur following his teachings,even tho bioware seem to have left this out, but it makes sense.....what doesnt tho is syo's complete 'ah thats to bad, oh well next time/...i swear he said that line 4 times.....that was put simply pathetic storyltelling, like rly rly shameful

as for the later chapters, darkside i feel is better for the consular then it was for the jedi knight...instead of acting as a mean bully type like the knight, the consulars choices are actually meaningful...i.e u kill 1 guy to save 1000, over killing him for fun...it gets rly good that way and works.

lol long :D

however ultimately darkside does work and in many parts is great, yet chapter 1 darkside actions are unexplained and full of holes that frankly, bioware writers should have stamped out 3 years + ago.

Lol you're right about that Ravijari guy from from the Prologue. I completely forgot about him since it's been so long since I started my sage.

I've hated the Consular story so much in Acts 1 and 2 that I've had a really hard time summoning the motivation to play her (although i must say, Sage healing absolutely ROCKS!!).

Completely off topic, but for me the best "opposite of expected dark/light alignment" class to play is the Lightside Sith Warrior.

A light side warrior is completely awesome in a snarky, know-it-all, sarcastic, highschool ****** kinda way. Don't know how my Sith elders don't strike me down, but it's fun taunting and smirking at them the whole story long.

Plus Vette completely falls in love with you. That's a win in my book :p

The only way to go Dark Side consular and have it make sense, is to embrace your role as a 'Shadow', which is namely as a covert ops type, grey area Jedi.

You have to pretend that the whole healing side of the storyline doesn't exist, and that you are being sent out to take care of insane jedi, and keep it on the down-low as possible.

• 1 month later...
Lol you're right about that Ravijari guy from from the Prologue. I completely forgot about him since it's been so long since I started my sage.

I've hated the Consular story so much in Acts 1 and 2 that I've had a really hard time summoning the motivation to play her (although i must say, Sage healing absolutely ROCKS!!).

Completely off topic, but for me the best "opposite of expected dark/light alignment" class to play is the Lightside Sith Warrior.

A light side warrior is completely awesome in a snarky, know-it-all, sarcastic, highschool ****** kinda way. Don't know how my Sith elders don't strike me down, but it's fun taunting and smirking at them the whole story long.

Plus Vette completely falls in love with you. That's a win in my book :p

First, it's not all that off topic because, let's face it- they're both still playing "against the grain." (BTW? You're also forgetting just how fun it is sticking your tongue out at all those hypocritical Jedi that turn just because you walked into the room when you're trying to get a hold of Jaesa and my favorite one was the Master you got to laugh at while hiding behind the parents on Alderaan.)

Of course, that's got me thinking now that I've gotten around to starting my Consular on whether or not I should go Dark or Light. Darn... And I had hoped I had already made up my mind already too.... :(