Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The Contraband Slot Machine

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

captpickles
01.16.2015 , 02:37 PM | #121
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthTHC View Post
Do the Weekly on Yavin IV and tricking out a companion costs ~1.5 hours of your time, maybe less.
YAVIN daliles ... ehhh /apathy/

DawnAskham
01.16.2015 , 02:40 PM | #122
Quote: Originally Posted by Jeweledleah View Post
I have missions skills. unless they BOOST the drop-rate from mission skills? I'd rather they didn't nerf the machine OR conquests. as an altoholic, I was stuck using blue augments almost exclusively, BECAUSE THE DAMN PURPLES WOULDN'T DROP. even with multiple characters increasing my chances. I was swimming in blue mats though, way more than I could ever use even with augmenting every alt's multiple spec sets.

the issue isn't the machine. the issue is - mission skills always sucked. but you were forced to use them, especially slicing, becasue there was no other way.

now, thanks to jawa vendors being updated? we have options. and GTN gaugers, can go to hell.
Players are not the problem.

The problem is just as you outlined above with respect to mission skills taking lots of time and credits for little return, all of which are controlled by Bioware, not players.

Maybe if you stayed focused on that aspect and not losing all your credibility with your childish outburst, you'd see many of those concerned about the slot payouts are just wanting to see a balancing between the two.

I think the slots are a nice potentially fun for some addition that could be an effective credit sink and an alternative way to acquire everything form rare items to reputation to materials.

What they shouldn't be is a means to bypass mission skills entirely and render them useless, which is what will happen if changes are not made to either / or / both slots and mission skills.

The crew skills forms have been filled with posts and suggestions just about weekly since launch concerning the low returns for purple items along with the long time frames and high cost to run missions.

If this is their solution, so be it - but the least they can do is come out and state their intent and what they expect to change or not change with respect to crew skills.

But I imagine you, just like Bioware, know that the drop and conversion rates for materials versus the cost and time spent to obtain through the slots is out of whack, and if I were you, I'd enjoy it while you can because I don't see it lasting as is for very long.

Jeweledleah
01.16.2015 , 02:40 PM | #123
Quote: Originally Posted by Khevar View Post
Ouch, that sucks.

Just to double-check: Were you running any other Slicing missions besides "Disassembly Required" and "Forsaken Handshake"? Those are the only two missions capable of returning Adaptive Circuitry.
nope, just those (I'm assuming its rich and bountiful right? bad with names), on multiple characters. I literally leveled slicing on several alts, because my original sole slicer was not enough. well, no I lie. I also run rich and bountiful lockbox missions in van hope of maybe getting a guaranteed crit slicing mission. and this is considering that both my high level operatives are slicers, with maxed affection for SCORPIO

I have horrible rng. always had. and maybe its also the reason why I might not be getting as much purple junk as some people claim they do - but certainly more than what i get from running missions. at least conquest rewards are a guarantee, as long as your guild bothers to get into top 10.

Jeweledleah
01.16.2015 , 02:44 PM | #124
Quote: Originally Posted by DawnAskham View Post
Players are not the problem.

The problem is just as you outlined above right with respect to mission skills taking lots of time and credits for little return, all of which are controlled by Bioware, not players.

Maybe if you stayed focused on that aspect and not losing all your credibility with your childish outburst, you'd see many of those concerned about the slot payouts are just wanting to see a balancing between the two.

I think the slots are a nice potentially fun for some addition that could be an effective credit sink and an alternative way to acquire everything form rare items to reputation to materials.

What they shouldn't be is a means to bypass mission skills entirely and render them useless.

The crew skills forms have been filled with posts and suggestions just about weekly since launch concerning the low returns for purple items along with the long time frames and high cost to run missions.

If this is their solution, so be it - but the least they can do is come out and state their intent and what they expect to change or not change with respect to crew skills.

But I imagine you, just like Bioware, know that the drop and conversion rates for materials versus the cost and time spent to obtain through the slots is out of whack, and if I were you, I'd enjoy it while you can because I don't see it lasting as is for very long.
what childish outburst. stating that people selling mats on GTN price them high due to supply used to being low and demand from raiders being high? I can call them gougers if I want to.

and again, like I said - machine is not the issue here. yes, drop rate is better then mission skills, but solution is NOT to nerf the machine - solution is to BUFF the crew skills.

and you still are ignoring the fact that people have stockpiled jawa junk from conquests and opening cartel packs. it will level out once stockpiles are gone.

DarthTHC
01.16.2015 , 02:50 PM | #125
Quote: Originally Posted by Jeweledleah View Post
what childish outburst. stating that people selling mats on GTN price them high due to supply used to being low and demand from raiders being high? I can call them gougers if I want to.

and again, like I said - machine is not the issue here. yes, drop rate is better then mission skills, but solution is NOT to nerf the machine - solution is to BUFF the crew skills.

and you still are ignoring the fact that people have stockpiled jawa junk from conquests and opening cartel packs. it will level out once stockpiles are gone.
Someone posted somewhere in all the rants about these slot machines that the actual cost of artifact grade 11 mission mats with the machines was between 1k and 3k, depending on which material. Plus it's an immediate return. In an hour, it seems like you can get a whole lot of materials.

From mission running, cost of artifact grade 11 mission mats is between 3k and 6k. Also, when you run missions, you get to wait 30-60 minutes for the return and you have at best around a 20% chance to get those mats after the wait. You have to keep running the missions to get the mats. In an hour... maybe you get nothing, maybe you get a few.

The machines have absolutely, completely, perfectly killed mission running for artifact level materials.

LordArtemis
01.16.2015 , 02:53 PM | #126
I don't blame sellers for trying to protect their revenue. That is understandable. I was a bit disappointed when comms were unified, embargoed items were added to NPCs on the fleet and when the CM started selling crystals (all three caused me to have to change my crafting to adapt to the new market).

But in the end I still found plenty of ways to make money on the market.

This is a huge improvement to crafting IMO, but not the kind of improvement I wanted to see. It hurts high end mat sellers substantially, others not so much. The market will adjust as it always does, and it will not crash as it NEVER does.

Prices will drop in the short term and stabilize over time. The time for gouging with high end mats is likely over.

Even if this machine remains as it is, which i doubt, Bioware already made it clear they wanted level 11 mats to be more accessible. This was not the way to do that, but who am I to look a gift horse in the mouth.

captpickles
01.16.2015 , 02:54 PM | #127
Someone posted somewhere in all the rants about these slot machines that the actual cost of artifact grade 11 mission mats with the machines was between 1k and 3k, depending on which material. Plus it's an immediate return. In an hour, it seems like you can get a whole lot of materials.

From mission running, cost of artifact grade 11 mission mats is between 3k and 6k. Also, when you run missions, you get to wait 30-60 minutes for the return and you have at best around a 20% chance to get those mats after the wait. You have to keep running the missions to get the mats. In an hour... maybe you get nothing, maybe you get a few.

The machines have absolutely, completely, perfectly killed mission running for artifact level materials.
This I will agree with the speed of collection is what is affecting value.

LordArtemis
01.16.2015 , 02:54 PM | #128

That would NOT be a death that would be lamented I would expect.

But an easy way to fix that is to increase the payout from missions and increase the coin cost to 2k per. Problem solved, still great for crafters AND it is a great credit sink.

Again, I have to say....

1) Coins at 2k per.
2) Chance of critical return in crew missions increased by 10 percent across the board.
3) Payout of mats in crew missions increased by 50 percent across the board.
4) Reshuffle button for mission display.

After all, for base materials you get a FAR HIGHER return simply going out and making scavenging runs on Rishi and Yavin right now due to the fast respawn rates. They beat crew missions hands down.

AND crew missions are still appealing to get crafting mats....they are much more expensive on the vendor.

And this, IMO, would solve most of the issues, except for the loss of being able to inflate prices for high end mats.

JonnyRay
01.16.2015 , 02:55 PM | #129

This is true. At least at some tiers of materials. For now. Long term effects remain to be seen.

For me, and my approach to crafting, I don't expect this to effect me overall. Certainly not for very long.

Jeweledleah
01.16.2015 , 02:57 PM | #130

yep. and its only a bad thing because... mission running is somehow more acceptable source or something?

like I said - the solution is to FIX the mission running. return on those was way too low.

how low? prior to 3.0 I used to check GTN daily for blue slicing mats. every other day or so, I'd find them listed for UNDER vendor price, so I'd buy those and vendor for quick minor profit. also worked with underworld trading mats.

and it was not just general stupidity. it was becasue in endless grind of trying to get purples, people would end up with so many of those blues, that they just tried to offload them undercutting each other absentmindedly into oblivion.

this is NOT a good game mechanic. for someone who crafts rather then just runs missions... steadier source of mats is a good thing.

so maybe, just maybe... they should make missions more attractive rather then people running them becasue they had no other option prior to jawa vendor update.