Companion Issues

EricMusco

Lemme stop you right there. Right now I'm spending millions just gearing and augmenting my characters (I have 34 at the moment) and you wanna take it back to a time when we had to keep companions geared as well? Not to mention being stuck using that ONE companion who heals..... nah bru....HARD PASS on that. I don't mind companion fixes to improve performance, but let's not even give them this idea.

Same.

Honnestly having to gear the companion was annoying, but being stuck using 1 that you don't necessarily like because he's the healer was far worse.

Being able to use the companion of my choice with the role of my choice is much better. Oh and being able to dress them tha way i want to dress them without worring about their stats is great too, especialy since they don't have outfit designer options.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Same.

Honnestly having to gear the companion was annoying, but being stuck using 1 that you don't necessarily like because he's the healer was far worse.

Being able to use the companion of my choice with the role of my choice is much better. Oh and being able to dress them tha way i want to dress them without worring about their stats is great too, especialy since they don't have outfit designer options.

Don't know, I don't mind either way. It was a pain while leveling, because only the trooper could really give his older gear to the companion, but I long learned to use the companion at hand, since my first character was my sorcerer and you get your healer after Hoth. So I used Khem first (Tank) and then Andronikos (DD), and it worked fine for me. I actually only used Andronikos later on.

What was a pain however was that I was only equipping Andronikos because of that and had to use Khem at the end of chapter one... the fight against Zash was a pain :)

Lemme stop you right there. Right now I'm spending millions just gearing and augmenting my characters (I have 34 at the moment) and you wanna take it back to a time when we had to keep companions geared as well? Not to mention being stuck using that ONE companion who heals..... nah bru....HARD PASS on that. I don't mind companion fixes to improve performance, but let's not even give them this idea.

I preferred comps having there individualities . Even more so as there are so many with possible more to come. I like having more comps so don't take that as a complaint about the how many we have. As for cost well get over it already. There are enough credits given in this game you can afford it. So can everyone else.

Now it has to be BW's choice not ours as doing this for comps would cost time and money and if they also do so for comp's after chapter 3 it's a lot of time and money. As said before us players should really not have a say. However comp's were changed because of players like you. So to be fair you are not in a position to complain if others are do the asking, you have done so plenty of times yourself.

Edited by SavantDreadtech

At this point, I have so many things unlocked in collections and so many extra bits kicking around, plus 268+ mods/pieces are so easy to come by, that I would actually like it if I had to gear up companions.

But, to me it's not "all or nothing". How about they still have selectable roles - tank, healer, or damage - but you need to gear them for that role.

But, to me it's not "all or nothing". How about they still have selectable roles - tank, healer, or damage - but you need to gear them for that role.

And have to dress them with ugly outfits, no thanks.

If they had an outfit designer like our toons, then, hm, not my preference but that could be alright, but considering how awfull the gear i have to wear on my toon looks, i don't want my companions to look awful like that. EVER...

THIS! Please please please pretty please with sugar on top, fix this annoying thing. It makes me not want to use Iresso anymore. :(

I don't use Iresso as healer any more because of this which is pisses me off as I prefer to use my character's romanced companion.

There are too many bugs with our original romance and/or class companions that it seems will never be fixed. Another big one for me is the failure to allow customisations of Elara Dorne and Malavai Quinn in Iokath. This is something the devs said they were looking at fixing but haven't. I have 3 warriors and one of my troopers still waiting to run Iokath once the face issue is fixed so I can have continuity in their story recordings.

There is one companion-related issue that only came to my attention when bringing Anlavi (my LS SW) up to date story-wise: I put Lana in the Revealing Bodysuit, but in some cutscenes she appears to be in the Concealed Bodysuit. I *think* it's primarily in the cutscenes that open new content chapters (i.e., each chapter of KOTET/KOTFE), and in one instance (the opening cutscene for JUS), she had the "classic customization" that overrides what she's wearing. I haven't noticed any other companions being affected by this, but that might just be because Lana, Vette, and Jaesa are the only companions I use with Anlavi outside of story requirements (Jakarro on Onderon, Major Anri on Ossus and Meridian Complex, etc) so haven't changed their outfits.

Agreed. No thank you. Just to Note: Cost doesn't bother me but having to be stuck with a companion because I need a healer and my favorite companion isn't a healer, nope. I had to deal with that at the beginning and having to deal with Kailyo for so long on my agent NO THANK YOU>

Edited by casirabit

Agreed. No thank you.

^^^

Agreed as well !! No thanks … I've been working my tail feathers off trying to rake up a little "extra" (??) scratch to buy stuff with as it is … Good grief... I don't need (want) THAT kind of added expense !!

If anything needs to be done for companions it is remove the brick wall hiding most of them.

Companion Ineffectiveness / Imbalance

One of the other issues that we hear about is that some Companions are ineffective in specific roles or imbalanced compared to other Companions. For 6.0 the team is making a full pass across all Companions to make a variety of updates. Most notably to address this very imbalance, update abilities, and more.

-eric

It's actually more than just hearing about things. It's been pretty well documented that some companions, particularly ones from the CM have crippling bugs that make them unviable. It's also been tested and shown that some companions, particularly Shae Vizla are immensely stronger than others. Cartel Market companions like ISO-5R are substantially weaker than vanilla companions. Treek and HK-51 have been considered bottom-tier for a long time now.

What's the status on companions being brought to more equal footing?

It's actually more than just hearing about things. It's been pretty well documented that some companions, particularly ones from the CM have crippling bugs that make them unviable. It's also been tested and shown that some companions, particularly Shae Vizla are immensely stronger than others. Cartel Market companions like ISO-5R are substantially weaker than vanilla companions. Treek and HK-51 have been considered bottom-tier for a long time now.

What's the status on companions being brought to more equal footing?

Like everything else - Eric's comment is just more spin BS.

They clearly don't have the staff to handle the laundry list of issues they have stated as having intentions to address, much less address those they haven't even acknowledged.

Edited by DawnAskham

I must be the only one that craves going back to the original way of gearing companions .... Companions back then had some individuality and they always ended up with my hand me down gear. I enjoyed the fact I could work on gearing them up and making them powerful, or not - my choice.

The cookie cutter "every companion is the same" system we have now is boring, tedious and roleplay killing.

grinding your own gear to BIS is pointless in the game as it stands at the moment. I'd be happy to spend some time getting my favourite comps geared up

I'm fine with companion gear being cosmetic, but I'm not fine with newer companions not having gear slots. It just seems lazy and half done and the companions are much less desirable because of it. Up grade them all please! And don't add more if you can't do them right! Why didn't Nico get upgraded when the rest were? Why did Paxton come out half done?

While you're at it, fix the bugs/short cuts. (Missing skins textures on Vector, Scourge and now New Lokin. Returned companions' mouths not moving when they talk. Returned companions not responding to area comment points around the game. Balance being all out of whack.)

And why oh why haven't there been any new customizations added for years?

I'm fine with companion gear being cosmetic, but I'm not fine with newer companions not having gear slots. It just seems lazy and half done and the companions are much less desirable because of it. Up grade them all please! And don't add more if you can't do them right! Why didn't Nico get upgraded when the rest were? Why did Paxton come out half done?

While you're at it, fix the bugs/short cuts. (Missing skins textures on Vector, Scourge and now New Lokin. Returned companions' mouths not moving when they talk. Returned companions not responding to area comment points around the game. Balance being all out of whack.)

And why oh why haven't there been any new customizations added for years?

This ^^^

AND … Return of the Interactive Companions

And have to dress them with ugly outfits, no thanks.

If they had an outfit designer like our toons, then, hm, not my preference but that could be alright, but considering how awfull the gear i have to wear on my toon looks, i don't want my companions to look awful like that. EVER...

What makes you think you would need to dress companions in ugly outfits? The only reason for you to wear ugly gear is because of bonuses and the expense of augment slots. But, companions wouldn't have bonuses and they can wear the same adaptive, mod-able, armor as you. You would just need to fit the proper mods.

(To clarify - there are some outfits that are aimed towards certain classes, but neither you nor your companion need to wear them. You could, for example, set you and/or your Companion, as a tank, dress in a "Stylish Dancer" outfit, and equip the armor with tank mods. Then it's just a matter of whether or not you think the Dancer outfit is ugly. 🙂 )

Edited by JediQuaker

What makes you think you would need to dress companions in ugly outfits? The only reason for you to wear ugly gear is because of bonuses and the expense of augment slots. But, companions wouldn't have bonuses and they can wear the same adaptive, mod-able, armor as you. You would just need to fit the proper mods.

(To clarify - there are some outfits that are aimed towards certain classes, but neither you nor your companion need to wear them. You could, for example, set you and/or your Companion, as a tank, dress in a "Stylish Dancer" outfit, and equip the armor with tank mods. Then it's just a matter of whether or not you think the Dancer outfit is ugly. 🙂 )

Problem is that quite often, the ugly unmodable outfits are better than anything modable.

That's not really a problem for our PC as we have outfit designer, but it'd be for the companions as they don't have any outfit designer.

As for puting mods in their outfits, that would require you to change mods everytime you want to change your companion's outfit too, which would be annoying.

And i hate all the dancer/slave outfits, they're ugly and ridiculous, and clearly not suited to fight in them, and to make it worse, only wome are allowed to look that silly it seems (not that i'd want my male PCs or companions to look that silly anyways) :rolleyes:

Problem is that quite often, the ugly unmodable outfits are better than anything modable.

That's not really a problem for our PC as we have outfit designer, but it'd be for the companions as they don't have any outfit designer.

As for puting mods in their outfits, that would require you to change mods everytime you want to change your companion's outfit too, which would be annoying.

To build on this, some of the low level static gear is the gear I want to use for their looks, not moddable gear, so they would be useless without a companion outfit designer.

• 2 weeks later...

the problem with companions that not wane attack is for some reason happing to me and its also something random i get it.

its more like i can have no problems with it for weeks but then it can happing with a companion that is only staying and not wane attack the enemy's and if its in heal mode it not wane heal me

same go's it do's if you wane sent you companion to scann some item like from scavenging crew skill or archaeology.

the only way i have fond to fix it is give it a mission more like selling junk or on a crew skill mission after that its fix again.

and then its only waiting for the next time it's going to happing again.

it seems that this problem about companions issues are still not 100% fix.

• 3 weeks later...

Ranged Companions Not Attacking

This issue is a bit of an interesting case. The common belief is that this is a bug which was introduced in 5.10. That is understandable since it certainly became more noticeable with that update. However, this issue has actually been around since launch. After the reports we received from 5.10 we began doing a deep dive into what was going on. That is where we discovered a pretty substantial issue with how Companions were built which is causing this to happen. Due to this being an underlying issue with all Companions it requires a larger systemic change then just a standard bug fix which is the reason why the fix is taking so long.

An update from yesterday, I was being conservative in saying that it will be fixed for 6.0. Upon double checking with the team they believe that it may actually make it in before then in 5.10.4 in the summer. This is of course still dependent on testing and verification, but you may see it before 6.0 after all.

now Eric if you have fix this problem in the 6.0 update all then why after update patch 6.0.2A is it then still not fix?

since its has happing to me few mins ago all here is a screenshot from it https://imgur.com/DVje0BH

now Eric if you have fix this problem in the 6.0 update all then why after update patch 6.0.2A is it then still not fix?

since its has happing to me few mins ago all here is a screenshot from it https://imgur.com/DVje0BH

It is fixed. And posting a still image, with a melee companion and without showing us your UI and its settings by the way, does not tell us anything. There might still be some random pathfinding issues when it comes to attacking enemies and gathering resource nodes, but the systemtic issue of ranged companions not attacking enemies is gone.

Edited by Phazonfreak

It is fixed. And posting a still image, with a melee companion and without showing us your UI and its settings by the way, does not tell us anything. There might still be some random pathfinding issues when it comes to attacking enemies and gathering resource nodes, but the systemtic issue of ranged companions not attacking enemies is gone.

you know there is no option in the game to let your companion stay still on the same spot will you walk away.

there is only a not attack option a companion has but it most still follow you

and if you read the text on it is good you see it that its still most follow you but its only not attacking the same enemy's you are attacking.

that means my screen shot is still good to show its still not fix.

and btw its also happing with ranged companions but when it happens with a ranged companion i will post it on this thread also.

I've been playing lately, and my companions attack just fine.

that problem maybe be fix.

but what there have create is a new issues with companions and thats when you sent then to pick up crew skills items that are on the map items like for crew skills like: Slicing,Scavenging,Bioanalysis and Archaeolog.

when you sent your companions to scan it and pick then up you get at some point that problem that there not gone move any more and stay on there place thats a new companion issues there have create by fixing the other one.