Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

FREE Character Transfers are Coming!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
FREE Character Transfers are Coming!

Blackardin
04.28.2012 , 06:03 AM | #171
Quote: Originally Posted by Woetoo View Post
I'm on a reasonably populated EU server, so I doubt I'll be making use of the transfer scheme. But I know server population will have a huge effect on players willingness to play long term - and that matters a lot to me. I want the game to succeed and anything that gets in the way is something I'm going to take an interest in.

I should be happy transfers are coming. But honestly I'm not.

Reading the quote...

Okay. So taking it apart.
  • We can expect Server tranfers towards the end of May, early June. (*cough* provisionally)
  • They're opening FREE transfers FROM servers they choose TO servers they choose. On a limited basis.
  • Not on the list? Don't like Bioware's choice of where you can move to? Tough! Get your wallet out!

And it's those two final points that really take the shine off this revelation.

Right or wrong, Bioware is directly responsible for server populations.

They made a choice during the pre-launch and launch of how distribute people across servers. At the time, they deliberately lowered server population caps to ensure servers didn't get overwhelmed. Then raised them slowly over time to reduce the artificial queues the lower caps generated. It had the desired effect and people chose other servers and in so doing, spread the community out across a great number of servers. I'm reasonably sure they also had in mind what happens when a lot of people play their initial 30 days and then stopped player. Overall, I think they made some poor decisions that were the best decisions apparent at the time without hindsight. They announced recently that it has become clear now that server populations could double and still be okay.

Whilst people made the choices, Bioware's policies and approach gave them no other choice. So in effect, Bioware generated the problem, however indirectly, and think charging people to sort it out is just great.

But... but... "FREE!!!".

LIMITED free. Whilst there's still no details exactly, we can probably expect single server to single server transfers recommendations, or maybe two or three servers to single server. What we won't get it customer choice. Some friends of mine intended to play on our server, but when the queues in the initial days were so high, they did what lots of people did and picked another server. They currently regret that choice and are rerolling low level characters on our server ahead of a character transfer announcement. The chances that Bioware's choice of transfers are going to include their server to our server? Not impossible, but unlikely. So it appears they'll have to pay to be on the server of their choice.

Profiting from a mistake (however well intentioned) is just cynical.

Personally I would like server transfers to be gated by time OR money. Prepared to wait? Sure you can have a free transfer to anywhere. Not prepared to wait? Get your wallet out.

I'd still prefer to see a series of whole server mergers to grossly sort things out, followed by a limited period of free any server to any server transfers for those players with specific needs. If you absolutely must bring in paid server transfer - let it be after the mistakes of the past are corrected to player satisfaction.
I rest my case, Your Honor. ROFL.
May the Schwartz be with you....

Helistin
04.28.2012 , 06:06 AM | #172
Just logged in and was hoping i could do my pvp daily. It's 2 pm on a saturday, 3 people at fleet and 30 people on the whole server. Another glorious day at Ula Wii server so take your time BW, theres no hurry...

JeramieCrowe
04.28.2012 , 06:07 AM | #173
Quote: Originally Posted by recsa View Post
Thats not what they have said, and thats the reason for my upset, they first makes me play a dead server because their tiny shards at launch (i did read devs asking people to spread on light servers at alaunch and did it), now they want me to pay extra money in order to finally play as i should have been able from day 1.

THATS AN OUTRAGE.
They haven't said either way, so being upset over nothing is a bit ludicrous... You know what happens when you assume, right? Yeah, let's not do that, mkay?
Allix Crowe - Vanguard Trooper -/- Ethavan Crowe - Smuggler Gunslinger -/- Malrath Crowe - Powertech Bounty Hunter -/- Boslo - Jedi Knight Sentinel -/- Jiao-gen Pall - Jedi Knight Guardian -/- Landen Tanarr - Jedi Consular Sage -/- Vaelyth Kinti-kaar- Sith Warrior Juggernaut -/- Oteln'erose'thu - Imperial Agent Sniper -/- Zandur Tuum - Cathar Knight

Emrill
04.28.2012 , 06:08 AM | #174
Hopefully by summer they mean early and not late. I don't mind moving my characters. I don't even mind having to rename my legacy. I just want there to be people to do the content that requires more than just me to do it. (i.e. heroic 2s and 4s, flashpoints, accessing some datacrons).

I think the trickiest thing will be if they have to merge legacies. For instance I have 6 legacy levels on one server and a bunch on another. If I move characters from one to the other due too it being one of the available choices, will they add together?

It would also be nice for Bioware to put out a preliminary list of servers they are planning on moving people from and too. I also think server mergers are still the better plan. After all the only difference between a merger and character transfer is that Bioware does it for you... en masse.

thomasgallant
04.28.2012 , 06:12 AM | #175
Quote: Originally Posted by Emrill View Post
Hopefully by summer they mean early and not late. I don't mind moving my characters. I don't even mind having to rename my legacy. I just want there to be people to do the content that requires more than just me to do it. (i.e. heroic 2s and 4s, flashpoints, accessing some datacrons).

I think the trickiest thing will be if they have to merge legacies. For instance I have 6 legacy levels on one server and a bunch on another. If I move characters from one to the other due too it being one of the available choices, will they add together?

It would also be nice for Bioware to put out a preliminary list of servers they are planning on moving people from and too.
I would assume you would have to have a legacy free server for the move.. it might be to hard to merge two legacies together..those are the things that bioware is likely taking till the summer to figure out..that alot of people dont care about, but needs to be addressed.. good on you for being willing to stick it out and wait
"Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view." Obi-Wan Kenobi

JeramieCrowe
04.28.2012 , 06:12 AM | #176
Personally, I'm glad they're limiting where we can move to. I wouldn't put it past this community to actually move to a heavy server instead of a standard one. Seriously, I bet they would, then cause server queues and exacerbate the issue.

At least in RIFT, most had the presence of mind to move to a medium server instead of a heavy one, thus making the free transfers work right. But this community? Yeah, I bet too many would choose a heavy server.
Allix Crowe - Vanguard Trooper -/- Ethavan Crowe - Smuggler Gunslinger -/- Malrath Crowe - Powertech Bounty Hunter -/- Boslo - Jedi Knight Sentinel -/- Jiao-gen Pall - Jedi Knight Guardian -/- Landen Tanarr - Jedi Consular Sage -/- Vaelyth Kinti-kaar- Sith Warrior Juggernaut -/- Oteln'erose'thu - Imperial Agent Sniper -/- Zandur Tuum - Cathar Knight

NasherUK
04.28.2012 , 06:14 AM | #177
They should give every character 1 free transfer at least. I don't see why we have to pay when there is no work involved on their end and we already pay a subscription, it will be an automated system just like in wow.

But yea... transfering just anywhere shouldn't be allowed. I'd hate to log on one day to find everyone has piled on my server and I now have a 2 hour queue :/

They also need to MERGE a bunch of servers otherwise this isn't going to solve the issue, there will still be some with very low population.

recsa
04.28.2012 , 06:15 AM | #178
Quote: Originally Posted by JeramieCrowe View Post
They haven't said either way, so being upset over nothing is a bit ludicrous... You know what happens when you assume, right? Yeah, let's not do that, mkay?
Actually, ive got a ticket answered, free transfers are intended to low populated servers, so im right.

Usually, the most probably becomes the truth, but you keep trying to defend Bioware and its stupid deecissions, why? Biodrone? fanboi? just mindless? who knows
A long time from now, in a galaxy far, far away, fanbois will realize they hurt games they love in a way no troll could ever dream of.

Emrill
04.28.2012 , 06:16 AM | #179
Quote: Originally Posted by thomasgallant View Post
I would assume you would have to have a legacy free server for the move.. it might be to hard to merge two legacies together..those are the things that bioware is likely taking till the summer to figure out..that alot of people dont care about, but needs to be addressed.. good on you for being willing to stick it out and wait
At this point if I were to be able to move from one server to another I have an established legacy on and lose all my legacy on the old server I'd still do it. Yes it would be some of a loss, but it's far more a loss when I can't do stuff in game because no one is online. I still think it would be easy to add the legacy xp together and have minimal game impact.

I'm just tired of seeing 1-5 people on any given planet and maybe 15ish on the fleet on my one server.

Quote: Originally Posted by NasherUK View Post
They should give every character 1 free transfer at least. I don't see why we have to pay when there is no work involved on their end and we already pay a subscription, it will be an automated system just like in wow.

But yea... transfering just anywhere shouldn't be allowed. I'd hate to log on one day to find everyone has piled on my server and I now have a 2 hour queue :/
I think they almost have to have you move your characters as a set unless you are willing to sacrifice the legacy attached to a character, which I am sure some people would. Those people would also probably just reroll to a higher pop server though.

I also hope they have several low pop servers feed into mid pop to create strong pop servers. They can maybe look at taking some of those servers that are being unused then to beef up the player capacity of the remaining (albeit I do not know if that is technologically possible even). That's also part of the reason I think Bioware's best plan of attack would be to just say all of your characters from server 'x' are being moved to server 'y' on date xx/xx/xx. That way you limit the risk of overpopulating a server. After that you can then do a paid transfer service that allows going to any server.

Blackardin
04.28.2012 , 06:26 AM | #180
Quote: Originally Posted by JeramieCrowe View Post
They did not make you do anything, there, skip.

You chose your server. You chose to play on it. You chose to stay there and be miserable in a game where it takes about 2 weeks to level to 50. I started over three times before I got the character that I enjoyed and would also fit into our guild's raiding make up, and I was still at 50, raiding, inside of one month.

Beyond that, they did exactly what the player base demanded at launch because these bunch of adult babies could not tolerate 5 minute queue times for a new launch when everyone knew they would die down. They did not strip the players off of your server, those same players whining about everything else left the server or the game.

Try taking some responsibility for your actions, or at least direct your complaints to the appropriate culprit. These guys are doing everything possible, as fast as possible, in an attempt to accommodate what I see after reading these boards for the past three months as the biggest bunch of crybabies ever gathered in one location.

You people need to give it a rest. Its a freaking game, not wold peace.
May the Schwartz be with you....