Onslaught: An entire expansion's worth of petty backstabbing?

PRHMro

Like some players who posted here, I was rather disappointed with how "sabotaging" your character's original faction turned out in Jedi Under Siege. While it is somewhat sobering that the JUS story shows that defecting to another side in a war isn't pretty, and that common people are going to suffer, I would prefer it that the player character is able to show their new loyalties more openly, and seriously, those forced choices in conversations were a terrible idea.

But now the new expansion, Onslaught, has been announced. And here is what the announcement says right at the beginning:

Will you remain loyal to your faction or work to undermine and sabotage their war efforts?

This kind of wording makes me really afraid that the new expansion is going to be nothing but more of JUS - meaning more petty backstabbing against your "nominal" faction's common soldiers, and more forced dialogue choices, rather than an open defection, or at the very least some choice in how far your character is going to go down the "traitor" route. Also I wonder how much emphasis there will be on solo story content rather than repeatable content that I'm likely not going to touch anyway. I'm getting the feeling that Bioware starts to emphasize repeatable content more these days. So what are your thoughts on this?

Edited by PRHMro

We're probably not getting an open defection, (at least not at the moment) but Charles has repeatedly said that he intends future saboteur content to include actual choices and more impactful consequences. The way he put it was that JUS was just the start of the process, and that the player shouldn't want to blow their cover in the very first mission they are a part of.

I don't have a problem of backstabbing the empire (my inquisitor is not a fan) but lets do something with the dailies please. If your character is working on backstabbing the empire or republic then your dailies should reflect that. I have yet to take my inquisitor through any of the dailies due to the fact she is siding with the republic yet the dailies have her destroying crops, killing republic.

They should have a different set of dailies for those that sabtouerize their faction.

I don't have a problem of backstabbing the empire (my inquisitor is not a fan) but lets do something with the dailies please. If your character is working on backstabbing the empire or republic then your dailies should reflect that. I have yet to take my inquisitor through any of the dailies due to the fact she is siding with the republic yet the dailies have her destroying crops, killing republic.

They should have a different set of dailies for those that sabtouerize their faction.

Agreed, something similar to Iokath would be good.

• 3 weeks later...
Judging by the artwork the new female Jedi should be fighting Malgus. I hope on my empire characters who have all decided to ally with the republic can turn on Malgus and kill him once and for all. Actually JUS is all about the empire being petty. The republic was not bothering anyone on Ossus and the empire just attacked to be spiteful. I was I could have turned on Malgus on Ossus and turned on him then.

I'll be interested to see how the defection option plays out. I think the issue with how open our characters can be about defecting is related to who they still are class-wise. While technically no longer a representative of the Republic or Empire, each class still plays out as they did in their original faction.

Sith warriors are still Sith warriors at least in terms of combat, and assumably in philosophy and tactics as well. The same could be said for troopers, Jedi, bounty hunters, and all the other classes.

So I think the issue that arises is when you suddenly have Sith, for example, allying with the Republic, or troopers allying with the Empire, and so on, and how that would look to each faction publicly. I mean, would the greater portion of the Sith Order really accept a Jedi as an ally, and vice versa? I can only imagine so IF they intended to fully defect and become Sith or Jedi themselves by the end of it.

Though this is probably too crazy to happen, it makes me wonder if the end result could be some new cross-faction playability where a SJ who sided with the Republic will have the option to become a JG or whatever their mirrored class is on the other side.

This will be ..Interesting to watch as it unfolds.

Will it play out as "Rated G", "Kid Gloves" and totally "Benign" with a simple "Ok I understand, now lets go pick some Daisy's".

or will it be realistic where "Nobody on either side trusts the Traitor at all (Historicaly this ends typically with a bullet to the head from the enemy at Very close range"

or will it be at all similar to how these forums were when Theron did his specialty at placing himself inside the "Enemy" organization exposing its core; A lot of people were raging for his death calling Him a "Traitor".

All my characters are happy with their respective factions but it will be *Interesting seeing how B.W. handles this now that there might be some real consequences.....

https://imgur.com/qagaTku

Edited by MikeCobalt