Game doesn't feel star warsy...

Captain_Vae

I feel that TOR is not very immersive. It doesn't have that hook that the old SWG (pre NGE) had. It doesn't have that hook that WoW had (Vanilla / Burning Crusade).

I can't put my finger on it but while many aspects of this game are enjoyable I don't feel like i am really THERE in the game.

It feels like a copy of WoW with a story thrown in.

Bioware / EA sold me a game hyped as the next great thing and I fully expected the next great thing. I feel that i am getting yesterday's meatloaf with some katsup on it and told its "the fresh pick of the day".

You sold me a game that bragged about this great storyline and I expected that. I did not expect some fat Sith running me around the universe like a delivery boy on one lame errand after another.

I have a feeling this game was originally designed as an awesome FIRST PERSON game like Skyrim.

Then someone said "hey, let us make it an MMO it will be awesome".

There are no real consequences to your actions. For example if you chose a "lightside" option of saving someone instead of killing them why not have it later in the game they save you when you think you are going to be overwhelmed and have them say "ok, now we are even".

Or make a "darkside choice" and kill someone and later in the game have one of those "Hello, My name is Darth Inigo Montonya.. You killed my Father, Prepare to DIE!" moments.

This game is torn in many directions. It seems like something built by committee and patched together without anyone looking at what anyone else is doing.

The problem is SWG is gone and this is the only Star Wars game in town. I am not going back to Kung Fu Panda's kiddie pool and I am starting to feel like Det. Roger Murtaugh and thinking i'm getting too old for this...

So you are angry TOR isn't different games? :confused:

Just my 2 cents, but TOR has been way more fun in most aspects than SWG. SWG had no story, TOR grabs me right away as I'm thrown into X's story. I've been having a blast sinse Beta. But yeah TOR could use more W will cause Y to happen and X will cause Z to happen.. though

For the end of the Trooper story you can either kill or take General Rakton as pisoner or let him go right off the bat. He gave me a "you haven't seen the last of me!" response and in the end I can either give him back to the Empire to trade for thousands of prisoners or let him rot and condem all those Republic solders.

So I felt like my choices meant something.

Way too many WOW fans get on these forums and ask for so called original ideas, but they really want stuff from WOW. Operations as a example, nothing star warsy about that. Jedi, smugglers and troopers versus giant monsters. That is not an bioware/kotor or star wars types of gameplay.... I wonder where they got the idea from? I wonder which kind of players keep asking for more too?

Not the fans of the movies, never saw luke,leia,han, chewy, c-3po and r2-d2 fighting giant monsters.

Not the bioware/kotor/mass effect fans.

Are SWG fans asking for that kind of gameplay?

Every MMO does not have that kind of gameplay, so I wonder where they get it from?

Edited by SentinelDranoel

So you are angry TOR isn't different games? :confused:

Just my 2 cents, but TOR has been way more fun in most aspects than SWG. SWG had no story, TOR grabs me right away as I'm thrown into X's story. I've been having a blast sinse Beta. But yeah TOR could use more W will cause Y to happen and X will cause Z to happen.. though

For the end of the Trooper story you can either kill or take General Rakton as pisoner or let him go right off the bat. He gave me a "you haven't seen the last of me!" response and in the end I can either give him back to the Empire to trade for thousands of prisoners or let him rot and condem all those Republic solders.

So I felt like my choices meant something.

But did your choices actually have an impact on the galaxy? Did you meet these prisoners? Did you notice an increase of thousands in the military? I'm thinking not (I've never played the trooper storyline to the end). I agree with the OP. It's WoW with a star wars skin pasted on it and a story that you share with everyone else of your kind.

Not the fans of the movies, never saw luke,leia,han, chewy, c-3po and r2-d2 fighting giant monsters.

Luke vs Walker type thing is in EC. We just aren't as good as him and can't kill it with one grenade. E6, they join up with the Ewoks to take on walkers, although more of a group trash pull that one. Hell, even the barge fight could be seen as the group taking on an interesting mechanics fight (more like the EV council than big boss type thing though). They do need more 1 or 2 vs 1 fights though, instead of more big bosses.

I have to say you lost me at it being ''WoW with a story thrown in''. Sure there are cetain game genre (mmo) similarities, but really I find them fairly dissimilar. Not saying you're not entitled to your opinion, just expressing a dissenting one.

me,im more of a fan of the prequel trilogy and the kotor series

for the most part i detest the naive optimism and "good guys always win" aspect of the original trilogy....

that is so far off of real human nature i dont even know where to begin

and considering that this game is set sometime after kotor....basically the original trilogy doesnt matter at all for the purposes of this game

i think what happened is when it came time to make the prequel trilogy lucas understood that society was shifting towards a more realistic mask that didnt hide what goes on in every day life..and thus injected star wars with some darkness to make up for it

and also..all of you warcraft fans seem to forget,warcraft,all those other mmos,even ultima..owe there existence to lucas essentially...

you forget that star wars predates warcraft by a good few decades

though i got to admit,having looked at some of the expanded universe material...the character of grandmaster luke skywalker was pretty decent...more wise and understanding of human nature than stiff old jedi like yoda ever were

Edited by Baphomet_x

I am not saying this game sucks.

I am just saying I expected more from this. If you over-hype something as the most awesome thing since the cantina dancers it better be really good.

For example

Take the smuggler storyline. You are given a choice at the end of the story line to either give all the supplies to the Republic or become the new crime lord. There are ZERO consequences to your actions. If you become the new crime lord you are not hunted down by a team of Jedi and other smugglers / commandos.

Or this:

Bounty Hunter storyline. You become "Republic's Most Wanted." How does that impact you? Do you see teams of Jedi / smuggler/ commando's attacking you when you least expect it? Perhaps you are relaxing in the space port looking at your mail when out of nowhere a strike team attacks you. Or if you are on Belsalvis doing your daily missions imagine a jedi strike team hitting you when you least expect it? After all you ARE "Republic's Most Wanted"

Those don't take place. Instead it is a predetermined outcome for everyone regardless of the choices you make.

I want more.

I am not saying this game sucks.

I am just saying I expected more from this. If you over-hype something as the most awesome thing since the cantina dancers it better be really good.

For example

Take the smuggler storyline. You are given a choice at the end of the story line to either give all the supplies to the Republic or become the new crime lord. There are ZERO consequences to your actions. If you become the new crime lord you are not hunted down by a team of Jedi and other smugglers / commandos.

Or this:

Bounty Hunter storyline. You become "Republic's Most Wanted." How does that impact you? Do you see teams of Jedi / smuggler/ commando's attacking you when you least expect it? Perhaps you are relaxing in the space port looking at your mail when out of nowhere a strike team attacks you. Or if you are on Belsalvis doing your daily missions imagine a jedi strike team hitting you when you least expect it? After all you ARE "Republic's Most Wanted"

Those don't take place. Instead it is a predetermined outcome for everyone regardless of the choices you make.

I want more.

this is good...it is good to want more...we should seek these things without frivilitys induced by insignificant human folley such as warcraft,which is basically an upstart compared to the star wars franchise

me,im more of a fan of the prequel trilogy and the kotor series

i think what happened is when it came time to make the prequel trilogy lucas understood that society was shifting towards a more realistic mask that didnt hide what goes on in every day life..and thus injected star wars with some darkness to make up for it

Is that why he created the gunguns?

Well, the game is an mmo, so some of the permanent effects and so forth people are asking for just aren't feasible. You may have sold some guy off to the empire, or saved the world, or become some massive dark lord, but all the other folks around you, including the same class guy next to you might not have... yet.

Best you can hope for is that the class story missions might have some indication of what you've done thus far, and in fact, some of them do. Would I like to see more of that? Yes, and I can only hope I will.

That said, some things are potentially doable. For example, being attacked at random , based on what you've done is certainly doable. However the thing to remember is that it as to be equivalent for every class and every story/choice, and that becomes far less reasonable. Having played through much of the stories at this point, I can say that not every class story or choice would lend itself to that. It's kind of an all or none sort of thing, and that is, again, one of the evils of the mmo world.

I am, however, very disappointed in the fp/ops big boss methodology, something I could swear the devs said would not happen. I find that mechanic non-challenging and dull. Enrage timers? Please, I thought we weren't supposed to see any of that either, and yet we do. There are so many other ways to make ops and fps challenging that they chose not to do. (multiple simultaneous objectives requiring teams or parts of teams to work independently; randomized bosses chosen from a possible pool, with assorted tactics, more varied tactics on the part of mobs, etc.)