Match-throwing in regs is a thing, and it doesn't mix well with the current landscape

Craydingus

There is a player on Star Forge who has been s****ing the bed in regs since he started PvPing.

There is a Sin Tank I will leave unnamed to comply with the rules here who is a nightmare to have on your team. 30% of the time he may actually take a node or do something else useful. The rest of the time, he hides in a corner, complains about his team in all caps, and only throws out a taunt or shocks an opponent when someone votes to kick him. It's not rare for him to finish a war zone with less than 10k damage, less than 10k prot, and less than 1000 objective points in spite of having stayed through the entire thing.

Before the quitter lockout and loser-gets-nothing mission rewards were put in place, having this dead wheel on your team for one or more matches was an annoyance, but one that could be dealt with, and consequent damage was mitigated. Now, it's way worse

With the current factors in place, getting this willful match-thrower on your team is basically a death sentence. The match becomes 7v9, you'll get nothing for the highly probable loss, and leaving your impending doom is punished.

I've submitted several reports, including screenshots of scoreboards proving how purposefully useless the player in question is to the PvP reports email, to no avail. Either people who try to make their team lose need to be suspended, or the current mission rewards system has to go.

Edited by Craydingus
compliant with rules

It's not just him, On Star Forge there are entire premades that regularly q who will intentionally lose nodes or throw the huttball to the enemy to extend the length of the warzone so that they can pad their dps numbers more.

It's to the point that seeing them on your team means it's a near guaranteed loss.

Edited by Skullbash

It's not just him, On Star Forge there are entire premades that regularly q who will intentionally lose nodes or throw the huttball to the enemy to extend the length of the warzone so that they can pad their dps numbers more.

It's to the point that seeing them on your team means it's a near guaranteed loss.

That’s been happening for a very long time because boys need to epeen. The only recourse is for Bioware to remove the stats board at the end of the match or lock it so that it’s private and you only see your one stats.

That’s been happening for a very long time because boys need to epeen. The only recourse is for Bioware to remove the stats board at the end of the match or lock it so that it’s private and you only see your one stats.

Maybe not remove entirely leadboards, but rework how they look and work. People should just gain points which can be aquired by doing dmg, healing, protection and objectives. There is no actual reason to show how much dps/hps people did. People are number farming because numbers are the first thing that pop up on boards and are their most noticeable contribution. Gaining objective points should be way more rewarding. It blows my mind how someone who is guarding a nod for enitre game (basically sacrificing himself for a team) can get less medals than someone who is just derping in mid. This, combined with combat system which encourages mindless spam of abilites (dot spread...) makes objective-focused play not rewarding enough.

Yeah, I’m assuming this Sin player’s name starts with a ‘T’ and has a couple of ‘X’s in the middle. If so, I call him out regularly. It’s pretty easy to ignore him, except in arenas. But those are a mess in regs anyway. The one thing I noticed is that he will stealth cap nodes. Granted, he acts like the son of God for doing that one and only thing. But, it’s more than most throwers do.

Still, getting rid of the dps and kills sections of the scoreboard would help. Number farmers would have to farm objectives or healing in order to get their bragging rights.

Just que dodge him. It's easily done. Just add him to your friends list and only que when he is in a match.Since coming back to the game I have compiled a lengthy list of players like him.

Still, getting rid of the dps and kills sections of the scoreboard would help. Number farmers would have to farm objectives or healing in order to get their bragging rights.

I have to admit though, the best part is when he ques for ranked pvp. For some reason his "I am God Complex", while contributing 0 dps and nothing of meaningful value other than knocking back a few people and stealthing out, just doesn't fly with the general ranked population. :D,

• 3 weeks later...
It’s definitely “deadweight” when he types in ops chat in all caps that the team sucks and he’s going afk rest of match

I wonder if we can get these sorts of AFKers to be queue locked like they do for ranked throwers?

ChrisS, do you feel like chiming in here to let us know if this is do-able?

I wonder if we can get these sorts of AFKers to be queue locked like they do for ranked throwers?

ChrisS, do you feel like chiming in here to let us know if this is do-able?

Seeing as they've applied multiple other elements from ranked to regs, such as high-stakes rewards, repercussions for leaving matches, "Skill-based matchmaking," and consequent toxicity resulting from all of the above, it would only be the logical thing to queue lock throwers as well.

Seeing as they've applied multiple other elements from ranked to regs, such as high-stakes rewards, repercussions for leaving matches, "Skill-based matchmaking," and consequent toxicity resulting from all of the above, it would only be the logical thing to queue lock throwers as well.

If there is skill based matchmaking in regs, then they should publicise how it really works because I’m still convinced is broken as F since it was implemented. And with less and less people queueing, the skill gaps are getting bigger and it’s becoming more apparent that it’s useless,

If it’s based on an hidden ELO system, just put it on the players personal win loss stat board so they can see where they stand. At this point, it wouldn’t even hurt if other players could check and see it.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

My anecdotal empirical evidence would suggest that ref matchmaking splits players in que into dps and support roles (tanks+healers). Teams are split so that if there are 4 support role players each side gets two, and if there are 3, one side gets 2 the other gets 1, etc. Backfills seem to ignore this.

I haven’t figured out if they try to balance the number of players who are undergeared. It sort of seems like yes but my sample size of a few hundred matches is too small to be sure as most people are geared.

Other than that, there just can’t be any skill based matchmaking. I’ve had too many Unranked reg arenas where the four best people on at the time get put together (and I know we aren’t grouping together because it’ll be like 2 imps and 2 pubs, I’m one of the imps, and one of the pubs is someone who never groups). I really highly doubt given the frequency of this that there is some hidden ELO.

Other than that, there just can’t be any skill based matchmaking. I’ve had too many Unranked reg arenas where the four best people on at the time get put together (and I know we aren’t grouping together because it’ll be like 2 imps and 2 pubs, I’m one of the imps, and one of the pubs is someone who never groups). I really highly doubt given the frequency of this that there is some hidden ELO.

Agreed. I’ve had many similar experiences.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

There is no actual reason to show how much dps/hps people did. People are number farming because numbers are the first thing that pop up on boards and are their most noticeable contribution.

There's plenty of reasons to keep numbers in. How are players supposed to measure improvement if not through dps or hps? If there's a group of players with extremely high numbers farming the other team, aren't they actually helping your team by keeping the enemy team respawning? Its a simple distraction technique. Number farmers also always gravitate towards attacking the largest group of players so the majority of the enemy team will always be preoccupied.

Edited by Llacertus

There's plenty of reasons to keep numbers in. How are players supposed to measure improvement if not through dps or hps? If there's a group of players with extremely high numbers farming the other team, aren't they actually helping your team by keeping the enemy team respawning? Its a simple distraction technique. Number farmers also always gravitate towards attacking the largest group of players so the majority of the enemy team will always be preoccupied.

The point is there is no reason to make them public at the end of objective pvp matches. That doesn’t do anything except give the epeeners a podium from which to strut.

By all means keep the stats so players can see their own and track their progress, on that we are in agreement. But hide the public stats and epeeners have no reason to ignore winning just so they can peacock.

Of course, they should stay public for Arena / ranked format because that is part of it.

If you're a good player, you know. If you're actually improving, you know. It's a bad metric for performance and it breeds negative competition and takes the focus away from actually winning.

Did you kill a player in time, or stall a player, preventing him/her from accomplishing something counter to your efforts? Were you capturing a node while the opponent was successfully distracted elsewhere? These are the things that decide good players...in REGULAR warzones.

Now, the leaderboard should be kept for ranked because that's where you test your combat skill. In Regular Warzones, it SHOULD be about winning the objectives.

I played two games tonight with a friend. I rarely group, and when I do, it's almost always with only ONE other person. Together we communicate and CAN turn the tide of the game. My friend is (by her admission) not as strong in combat, but her situational awareness, her attention to objectives, her ability to do the unexpected, and her ability to delay death when guarding a node so that I or someone else can come to make the kill make her invaluable in Warzones (if you're reading this, my friend, you know who you are...you're awesome at warzones :D). I guarantee you that when she started, she wasn't doing all that. There is no metric for her improvement, not really. But I enjoy PvPing with her because she's pretty good at it.

Upshot is that I feel that cooperative PvP would be a lot better if people were not chasing numbers. That's what ranked is for.

Edited by Sappharan

The point is there is no reason to make them public at the end of objective pvp matches. That doesn’t do anything except give the epeeners a podium from which to strut.

By all means keep the stats so players can see their own and track their progress, on that we are in agreement. But hide the public stats and epeeners have no reason to ignore winning just so they can peacock.

Of course, they should stay public for Arena / ranked format because that is part of it.

Thats fair, but how would 2 healers know how well they're doing in a certain match if they cant look at each other's score and compare. These metaphors about epeenes are funny, but for alot of players, the only reason why swtor pvp interests them any longer is so they can have friendly competition. For many people who have pvped for extensive periods of time, the objective play is broken, repetitive, and not worth the reward. Engaging in pure pvp with another competent team is far more mentally stimulating and rewarding. If it were up to me, we would have a TDM que and an objectives que. That way objective players could complete their conquest easier, and TDM players could more competitive games.

Thats fair, but how would 2 healers know how well they're doing in a certain match if they cant look at each other's score and compare. These metaphors about epeenes are funny, but for alot of players, the only reason why swtor pvp interests them any longer is so they can have friendly competition. For many people who have pvped for extensive periods of time, the objective play is broken, repetitive, and not worth the reward. Engaging in pure pvp with another competent team is far more mentally stimulating and rewarding. If it were up to me, we would have a TDM que and an objectives que. That way objective players could complete their conquest easier, and TDM players could more competitive games.

Player base isn’t big enough for two ques outside of prime time on most servers I believe. It’s certainly not on SS.

You absolutely cannot take numbers out of arenas (ranked or unranked). It’s how you figure out if you’re doing well. Also, even in objectives maps, I find it useful even though I’m not a number farmer, just to see how I’m doing and more importantly to figure out roughly who is good and who is bad in the current que.

Just que dodge him. It's easily done. Just add him to your friends list and only que when he is in a match.Since coming back to the game I have compiled a lengthy list of players like him.

I have to admit though, the best part is when he ques for ranked pvp. For some reason his "I am God Complex", while contributing 0 dps and nothing of meaningful value other than knocking back a few people and stealthing out, just doesn't fly with the general ranked population. :D,

Que dodging is all well and good but I play republic and he's an imperial so I cannot add him to see if he's in a warzone. And I'm not gonna go sit on a room I'm not playing just to watch to know when it's safe to que. Bioware needs to address this not the player base.

You should not even have to queue dodge ranked, but if you need to queue dodge regs, it’s just a ridiculous situation. This game has really gone down the toilet when you have to queue dodge regs to avoid one intentional thrower who stops you winning.

It means player skill lvls have dropped significantly and so has the player population. So much so that I would say if there aren’t enough players that you need to queue dodge regs, then pvp really is on its last legs In this game.

You should not even have to queue dodge ranked, but if you need to queue dodge regs, it’s just a ridiculous situation. This game has really gone down the toilet when you have to queue dodge regs to avoid one intentional thrower who stops you winning.

It means player skill lvls have dropped significantly and so has the player population. So much so that I would say if there aren’t enough players that you need to queue dodge regs, then pvp really is on its last legs In this game.

It would not come as a surprise if people were queue-dodging this scum-f**ker, knowing they'll get zero mission progress with a dead wheel on their team, and that's one thing contributing to slower pops.