Cathar as a Playable Species

iamthehoyden

Can someone tell my BW's reasoning, if there is any to be had, as to why Cathar are the next species. I have no use for them and it seems it was an arbitrary decision.

Because in almost every poll they were in the top 3, and they are plentiful in the game, so yeah. Majority says Cathar go in, so they go in. Deal with it?

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my opinion the playable species that are in the game already are so visually alike it's painful. I know it's been said before, but it is true that they are all basically humans with different coloured skin. Only the twileks stand out a bit, which is why all my characters are twilek, in an attempt to bring a bit of visual diversity to the game.

Therefore to me the cathar is a dull and pointless choice to add as playable race; they are just yet another race looking like humans but with a different skin colour.

I know BW painted themselves into a corner with the cut-scenes since all races must have a human-body size and shape because of them.

But there are plenty of races with bodies with human shape and size but heads that look far from human, Selkath, Togruta, Wookie, even Gungan would have been more fun for pete's sake!

Please BW, next time, give us a race that doesn't look human :rak_01:

One of the criteria of playable races is they would have to look reasonable and acceptable kissing in romance scenes. So long as that remains a crtieria I am highly doubtful that we will ever see rodians, trandoshans, or any of the more interesting alien races added as playble. Other than the cathar that would leave the nautolans, weequay, togruta, and maybe the duros as the next set of probable species to be added.

Half the time the kissing animations are broken anyway, with characters not reaching each other and kissing thin air, or stepping too close and kissing the inside of each other's heads, so I wouldnt put this down as a criteria ;)

Edited by Andge

Sigh... I will admit I came to story and lore to read some sensible posts, but apparently I'm in the minority.

There are no cats in star wars. Cats are just about the furthest you can get from star-warsy.

(Sorry Comics do not count)

Thundercats with lightsabers is an epic fail. On a Panda scale.

Sigh... I will admit I came to story and lore to read some sensible posts, but apparently I'm in the minority.

There are no cats in star wars. Cats are just about the furthest you can get from star-warsy.

(Sorry Comics do not count)

Thundercats with lightsabers is an epic fail. On a Panda scale.

Saying there are no cats in Star Wars is being very short-sighted and narrowminded. Comics DO count as canon, making Cathar canon. Are canine races not Star Warsy? What about the Bothans? They are a canine race. Why can't there be a feline race as well? There are so many types of aliens in the SW universe that you would be a fool to believe that cat-people wouldn't exist. Look at all the lizard and insectoid type races there are.

You may hate the idea of Cathar but many others love and want them. You may not want to believe it, but Cathar are canon and part of the Galaxy far, far away. Accept and deal with it.

Edited by Kilikaa

Saying there are no cats in Star Wars is being very short-sighted and narrowminded. Comics DO count as canon, making Cathar canon. Are canine races not Star Warsy? What about the Bothans? They are a canine race. Why can't there be a feline race as well? There are so many types of aliens in the SW universe that you would be a fool to believe that cat-people wouldn't exist. Look at all the lizard and insectoid type races there are.

You may hate the idea of Cathar but many others love and want them. You may not want to believe it, but Cathar are canon and part of the Galaxy far, far away. Accept and deal with it.

My problem with "Cat People" in star wars is that it is a cheap knock off - not an original idea.

It makes the universe look like a Manga Comic, or a bad 80's children's show.

Cats are not alien... they are cats.

Saying Bothans are dogs is.. well I can't even argue with that , I suppose if you think they look like dogs, then they are dogs for you.

*edit* Maybe we will get lucky and we can force other characters helmets on for our own display so we wont notice :)

Edited by TangledDruid

My problem with "Cat People" in star wars is that it is a cheap knock off - not an original idea.

It makes the universe look like a Manga Comic, or a bad 80's children's show.

Cats are not alien... they are cats.

Saying Bothans are dogs is.. well I can't even argue with that , I suppose if you think they look like dogs, then they are dogs for you.

*edit* Maybe we will get lucky and we can force other characters helmets on for our own display so we wont notice :)

Lizards aren't aliens either, yet we have Trandoshans. Wolves are not aliens, but we have Shistavanens, Fish aren't aliens but we have Mon Calamari. So why are Cats bad?

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

Oh I know who put them in star wars. They deserve a special "I'm a terrible hack who rides success's coattails" award.

Which I suppose, Is where my frustration comes from, not specifically that they are coming to the mmo. I find some of the expanded universe quite interesting and well written.

The post previous to yours has a valid point regarding the other species.

I'm not railing on the forums hoping for some high level at EA/BW is going to go "oh noes we made a terrible mistake with cat people"

Personally, I hope that it is not too terribly popular. If I start getting gfinder pugs everyday with Panthro and Lion-o, I will probably just start logging in less.

Might be my age, might just be that I exposed myself to a large amount of literature when I was younger and see patterns that the average consumer doesn't.

Linking a Star Wars Wiki like it is word from on high is just sad, and makes me lose just a little more hope for the human race.

I just want to rage out my tiny opinion in a public place so I can feel a bit better. :D

I'm going to unsub from the thread now, I don't really have an interest in a flame war, I was just hoping I'd find a voice that agreed with me.

Oh I know who put them in star wars. They deserve a special "I'm a terrible hack who rides success's coattails" award.

Which I suppose, Is where my frustration comes from, not specifically that they are coming to the mmo. I find some of the expanded universe quite interesting and well written.

The post previous to yours has a valid point regarding the other species.

I'm not railing on the forums hoping for some high level at EA/BW is going to go "oh noes we made a terrible mistake with cat people"

Personally, I hope that it is not too terribly popular. If I start getting gfinder pugs everyday with Panthro and Lion-o, I will probably just start logging in less.

Might be my age, might just be that I exposed myself to a large amount of literature when I was younger and see patterns that the average consumer doesn't.

Linking a Star Wars Wiki like it is word from on high is just sad, and makes me lose just a little more hope for the human race.

I just want to rage out my tiny opinion in a public place so I can feel a bit better. :D

I'm going to unsub from the thread now, I don't really have an interest in a flame war, I was just hoping I'd find a voice that agreed with me.

So George Lucas is a hack, then? Well, yes actually he is. He might not have invented Cathar, but he invented Shistavanens, Trandoshans, and Mon Calamari. Since your problem seems to be with aliens that mimick animals, your point is hearby dismissed as a double standard. Now, my question for you is this: Why do you even play Star Wars with all the animal mimicking aliens in it?

My point is that even though George Lucas IS a hack, his invention of those species isn't what made him a hack. His mishandling of interpersonal relationships among his characters, and his lack of quality control in his own writing resulting in plotholes you could fly a Super Star Destroyer through are what makes George Lucas a hack.

So George Lucas is a hack, then? Well, yes actually he is. He might not have invented Cathar, but he invented Shistavanens, Trandoshans, and Mon Calamari. Since your problem seems to be with aliens that mimick animals, your point is hearby dismissed as a double standard. Now, my question for you is this: Why do you even play Star Wars with all the animal mimicking aliens in it?

My point is that even though George Lucas IS a hack, his invention of those species isn't what made him a hack. His mishandling of interpersonal relationships among his characters, and his lack of quality control in his own writing resulting in plotholes you could fly a Super Star Destroyer through are what makes George Lucas a hack.

I'll try to condense the for the twitter generation.

"Star Wars Is Cool"

"I want to be a writer"

"Cat People from asian works are Cool"

Omg I'm going to write a star wars story WITH cat people!!

Yes, the other races are based off of animals, but not shamelessly ripped from other works.

I suppose if your exposure is limited, you don't see the the rip offs.

Edited by TangledDruid

Actually, upon re reading the replies to my post, I'd like to clarify with an example.

My distaste for Cathar is not specifically because they are based off a cat.

If they came up with a pointy eared, green blooded, extremely logical alien race I would feel the same way :p

Having played Mass Effect, I'm having trouble with the Gree / Hypergate storyline as well... When I loaded PTS I thought....um, we did that :cool:

I'll try to condense the for the twitter generation.

"Star Wars Is Cool"

"I want to be a writer"

"Cat People from asian works are Cool"

Omg I'm going to write a star wars story WITH cat people!!

Yes, the other races are based off of animals, but not shamelessly ripped from other works.

I suppose if your exposure is limited, you don't see the the rip offs.

What other works? The Cathar have been around since before Thundercats, Kilrathi, or any other cat species I can think of. They've been around since the Holiday Special, in fact. Granted, the name was added in Tales of the Jedi, but they were part of the Star Wars universe nearly as long as the others that George invented.

For reference, check the Appearances and take note of the First Appearance. http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Cathar

• 1 month later...
In my opinion the playable species that are in the game already are so visually alike it's painful. I know it's been said before, but it is true that they are all basically humans with different coloured skin. Only the twileks stand out a bit, which is why all my characters are twilek, in an attempt to bring a bit of visual diversity to the game.

Therefore to me the cathar is a dull and pointless choice to add as playable race; they are just yet another race looking like humans but with a different skin colour.

I know BW painted themselves into a corner with the cut-scenes since all races must have a human-body size and shape because of them.

But there are plenty of races with bodies with human shape and size but heads that look far from human, Selkath, Togruta, Wookie, even Gungan would have been more fun for pete's sake!

Please BW, next time, give us a race that doesn't look human :rak_01:

Because Torguta wouldn't look and feel almost exactly the same as twileks with uglier heads, yep. Totally absolutely 100% Unique. And the chances of getting a gungan or Wookie are about the same as getting a jawa or deshad as a playable character, namely ,don't bloody count on it.

In my opinion, the reason why there are no playable rodians, selkath etc, is simple, no one has ever heard them speak Basic (as far as I know), just in their version of "alien-speak", which is just ranomd string of text mixed together.

Making them speak with class voice overs would be perhaps more jarring to players than their absence as playable species.

And making them speak with their own "alien-speak" would be enormous waste of the voice-overs, not to mention that one could hardly get "in character" with that, because SW universe does not have properly constructed alien languages, like Klingons in Star Trek (Mando'a does not have full grammar, as far as I know).

Edited by Aries_cz

• 2 weeks later...

Rodians spoke basic, I believe, twice in the EU (although they had an impediment) and now with TCW, we have Rodians that speak basic perfectly except for a slight hiss in their voice.

We even had an episode with Greedo kissing a Twi'lek.