Season 13 and the Future of PvP

ChrisSchmidt

• Dev Post

Hi friends,

As we alluded to in our Season 12 ending post, we wanted to make sure we had a lot more clarity around what rewards you can expect in Seasons going forward. Season 13 will be kicking off in a few weeks (currently targeting the last week of July), so let’s talk a bit about some of our thoughts on PvP going forward, including upcoming changes and rewards!

PvP Rewards

Longer term, we’re looking at the season and reward structure for PvP to make sure they fulfill our guiding principles: meaningful rewards for meaningful effort, and a compelling reason to play each new season. In the short term, this means trying some new things to see if we can create more healthy queues and a better playing environment. For Season 13, we want to increase the overall rewards earned from playing, and more specifically winning, PvP (especially ranked) matches. There are quite a few changes coming in patch 6.1.2b this week to move towards that goal. Here goes:

General Changes:

• Increased the number of Renown points and Tech Fragments received from PvP Missions.
  • Warzone Medpacs and Adrenals have been added to PvP Missions.
  • Player will now receive Legendary Ember as rewards in the following Missions:

[DAILY] Arena of Death!: 1 Ember

[WEEKLY] Go Berserk!: 5 Ember

[WEEKLY] Time for Pain!: 1 Ember

The following changes have been made to Solo Ranked Rewards. Similar changes have been made to Group Ranked Rewards and Unranked Rewards and full details for those will be in the upcoming patch notes this week.

Players now receive a Premium Warzone Crate for a Solo Ranked loss, and a Prototype Warzone Crate for a Solo Ranked victory.

The following changes have been made to the Daily Ranked Warzone Lockbox:

• Increased chance at a random set bonus or tactical item
  • Now receive 4 equipment pieces (up from 3)
  • Now receive 4 mods (up from 3)
  • 5% chance for a Legendary Ember
  • New chance for a Satchel of Crafting Mats (Grade 11)
  • Warzone Adrenals and Medpacs have been removed from lockboxes
  • Renown Trophies have been removed from lockboxes

The following changes have been made to the Weekly Ranked Warzone Lockbox:

• Increased chance at a random set bonus or tactical item
  • Now receive 8 equipment pieces (up from 5)
  • Now receive 8 mods (up from 5)
  • 10% chance for a Legendary Ember
  • Now receive 18 Satchels of Crafting Mats (Grade 11) (up from 5)
  • Now receive 36 Processed Isotope Stabilizer
  • Warzone Adrenals and Medpacs have been removed from lockboxes
  • Renown Trophies have been removed from lockboxes

The following new Conquest PVP Objectives have been added. Group Ranked and Unranked have the same Objectives, but with differing point values.

Solo Ranked Objectives:

• 9750 points: Achiever - Weekly Repeatable (Complete Weekly PvP Mission)
  • 4000 points: Infinite Domination - Infinite Repeatable (Win 10 or more matches)
  • 1100 points: Medalist - Infinite Repeatable (Gain 8 Medals in a single match)
  • 9750 points: Total Domination - Weekly Repeatable (Win 10 matches)
  • 2000 points: Victorious - Daily Repeatable (Win a match)
  • 5800 points: Victorious 2 - Daily Repeatable (Win 2 matches)
  • 7500 points: Victorious 3 - Daily Repeatable (Win 3 matches)

Note: In the update kicking off Season 13, all missions will be changed to require wins for completion and rewards.

Requiring wins for mission completion allows us to increase the quality and quantity of rewards, in addition to lowering any incentive to play poorly or farm gear and materials via losses. The goal is to increase the overall quality of matches.

The TL;DR: of all of these changes are you should expect to see an increase in rewards for winning matches, anywhere from 2x to 4x Tech Fragments and Embers, especially if you are disassembling the additional mod and gear rewards.

There are quite a few changes coming to PvP match rewards in Season 13 - let us know your thoughts!

Season 13 Rewards, Replicas, and Beyond

When we moved to bringing back prior Season (Replica) rewards, we did this to help supplement existing Seasonal rewards. In general, we weren’t distributing as many larger, unique rewards as we did previously and so we wanted to make sure there was a larger quantity to choose from. There was also certainly a desire to be able to earn those retired rewards. We know there was friction around the ending of Season 12 and lack of clarity around the Season 3 Replicas. Our plan is to get the rest of the replicas to you in a quicker manner than we have so far, but also to resolve some of the bigger concerns around Seasonal rewards.

Season 13’s unique reward will be a brand new armor set in addition to all of the standard Seasonal rewards, such as the Seasonal Titles, Flairs, Frames, and Battle Flags. Stay tuned to our next livestream or the Season 13 launch article for a sneak peek at the armor set.

Also, throughout the course of Season 13 and into the start of Season 14, we are going to bring out all of the remaining replicas. No more waiting for one to come back each Season! Stay tuned for a future update on exactly when you can expect each drop, starting later this Summer. It is not intended that they return in a sequential order, so we want to be clear in what order they will drop:

1. Predacious Weapon Set (Season 6) and Commanding Weapon Set (Season 8)

50,000 pvp tokens for each Weapon Set

2. Gladiator Weapon Set (Season 5) and Giradda’s Acklay Mount (Season 7)

50,000 for the weapon set, 200,000 for the mount

3. Furious Armor and Weapon Sets (Season 3)

100,000 each for the armor sets (there are 4), 50,000 for the Weapon Set

Reminder that Replica rewards do not use unique currency for purchase so you can start saving now! As mentioned above, replicas were meant as a supplement to Seasonal rewards as we were no longer doing our bigger PvP rewards. The underlying reason that we are moving the replicas out at a quicker pace is that we want to return to doing exactly that! Here is what that means. Sometime (at least a few months) after the Replica Furious Armor set returns, we are going to completely retire the replica rewards from the vendor going forward. We want to make sure we give everyone ample notice, and ample time to get all of the rewards that they want. At that point, it is our intention to move back to higher quality PvP rewards than we have been giving you recently. To be frank, we want to make new, unique PvP prestige rewards worth battling over! This is many months away,so there aren’t a ton of specifics to share yet, but just know that our intention is that PvP should be a fun, fair place to battle it out, and one where you are properly rewarded for those efforts! We will share more when we get closer.

And there it is! Big changes to the rewards you can expect from PvP, details on what rewards you can expect in S13 (images to follow with the Season start), and a roadmap on the remaining replicas. We hope this adds clarity to PvP Seasonal rewards going forward! Stay tuned for more updates, and thanks for making it through the post of many words!

-Chris "BioChris" Schmidt, Lead Designer

:jawa_smile:

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be frank, we want to make new, unique PvP prestige rewards worth battling over!

Please make sure, then, to make these *unique* PvP rewards unique. Don't add reskins to the CM market as you typically have done in the past.

Also, none of the changes to s13 really help group ranked specifically. Yes there is a lot of overall help to pvp, but group ranked specifically needs special help. If it isn't incentivized more than solo ranked no one will play it because finding a team these days is just too damn difficult. TBH to really revive group ranked you need to do more, maybe by increasing the matts by 1.5x in group ranked compared to solo ranked or decreasing the win requirement for group ranked.

Edited by septru

Great for ranked, but us regstar plebs would like unranked pvp to be a viable way to get gear/techfrags as well. The daily and weekly are a complete joke. Why does the GSF weekly give 700 frags compared to pvp's 125? PvP's daily is only 25 frags....like come on. I wanna earn tech frags through pvp. I don't want to run daily FP's to be able to earn tech frags at a decent pace to gear my alts.

Looks like a good start, Chris!

I'm curious to see how these changes will reflect in game.

One little thing though;

• Warzone Medpacs and Adrenals have been added to PvP Missions.

I see that you're also removing them from boxes.. but I think most of us are already drowning in these at this point :rolleyes:

Like in 2 months I think I gathered enough to accommodate me for the amount I've used between the here and now and the time I started playing the game in late '12

I think it's good if the missions reward you with roughly as many as one could be expected to use over the average of the games require to obtain them. But with the amount of them going around right now it might as well not be consumed on use as a quality of life thing. Because nobody that played PvP regularly since these things started dropping from crates is ever going to need any refills anymore unless they have been deleting them :p

Note: In the update kicking off Season 13, all missions will be changed to require wins for completion and rewards.

Requiring wins for mission completion allows us to increase the quality and quantity of rewards, in addition to lowering any incentive to play poorly or farm gear and materials via losses. The goal is to increase the overall quality of matches.

-Chris "BioChris" Schmidt, Lead Designer

:jawa_smile:

Is the win requirement going to be only for ranked-related pvp missions, or for all pvp missions including unranked and GSF?

Can you look into including any of these reward updates to the Gree event pvp dailies?

Player will now receive Legendary Ember as rewards in the following Missions:

[DAILY] Arena of Death!: 1 Ember

[WEEKLY] Go Berserk!: 5 Ember

[WEEKLY] Time for Pain!: 1 Ember

Really? W T F is this? There should not be a way to gear up different with pvp than pve in this state of game. Remove Legendary Embers from pvp missions. Don't try to entice/force people to pvp with this crap. A lot of people don't want to pvp. PVP'ers already get chances at legendary embers from deconstructing loot drops like pve'ers.

Great for ranked, but us regstar plebs would like unranked pvp to be a viable way to get gear/techfrags as well. The daily and weekly are a complete joke. Why does the GSF weekly give 700 frags compared to pvp's 125? PvP's daily is only 25 frags....like come on. I wanna earn tech frags through pvp. I don't want to run daily FP's to be able to earn tech frags at a decent pace to gear my alts.

The following changes have been made to Solo Ranked Rewards. Similar changes have been made to Group Ranked Rewards and Unranked Rewards and full details for those will be in the upcoming patch notes this week.

looks like we just need to wait a few days

Is the win requirement going to be only for ranked-related pvp missions, or for all pvp missions including unranked and GSF?

Can you look into including any of these reward updates to the Gree event pvp dailies?

looks like we just need to wait a few days

QFE

Nice start and appreciate the efforts from BioWare (Chris & whomever) , but i just wish they'd also figure out a legit way to finally include/incorporate OPEN WORLD pvp as well (even with 'Ranked' , but with a lesser degree of potential points obviously) .

I also still wish for OPT-IN PLAYER bounties during 'Bounty Hunter Event Week' (which could count for 'Ranked', to a much lesser degree AND with diminishing returns per player hunted)

9 years & counting on such wishes though.... :(

Edited by Nee-Elder

Really? W T F is this? There should not be a way to gear up different with pvp than pve in this state of game. Remove Legendary Embers from pvp missions. Don't try to entice/force people to pvp with this crap. A lot of people don't want to pvp. PVP'ers already get chances at legendary embers from deconstructing loot drops like pve'ers.

so only getting (some) BIS sets from Dxun is okay? PVP players deserve some love. I casually play pvp and now i also have an incentive to que more. This is only good for the game

Edited by CrazyScruffy

so only getting (some) BIS sets from Dxun is okay? PVP players deserve some love. I casually play pvp and now i also have an incentive to que more. This is only good for the game

Would be fine if they add the same to pve missions. weekly FP, operations, etc. One sided is horsepucky.

• Dev Post

Just a couple points of clarification to the original post here:

• Now receive 18 Satchels of Crafting Mats (Grade 11) (up from 5)
  • Now receive 36 Processed Isotope Stabilizer

• Instead of giving you 18 Satchels, we are giving you 2 Medium Satchels (which is the equivalent of 18)
  • You actually get 36 rolls for Processed Isotope Stabilizers, which practically means you will receive about triple what you receive now

One other addition for Season 13, in regards to this:

We will be extending the Deserter queue lockout to 15 minutes, to disincentivize leaving matches early.

You guys also wrote 50 000 for the furious weapon set, is that all the weapons or like s10 replicas where you buy the weapons individually?

That price is for the full set.

This would be for everything but GSF. Those missions remain unchanged in completion requirements.

Edited by EricMusco

I disagree with your objection. Enticements are fine, and nothing is forced here. I think its a reasonable change, as pvp'ers generally earn gear pieces for deconstruction at a lower pace than pve'ers.

However, related to your objection, let's assume for the purposes of discussion that pvp'ers will earn Embers faster than pve'ers after this change. If the Devs would restore the chance to get embers from harvesting that was nerfed to zero with 6.0.2, then that would help to even the pace between the two styles. PvE'ers and solo-exclusive players spend a lot more time on Onderon and Mek Sha than their counterparts who do pvp.

This isn't forcing or people at all to do anything. This is a change that's been needed for a long time. There needs to be some kind of bonus reward for doing ranked especially since the ranked ques on a lot of these servers are dead. I really don't see why you say people shouldn't be enticed to do pvp. People often weren't interested in pvp because the rewards weren't worth the effort spent. This will completely fix that. Bioware did an amazing job time, and I think they deserve that much credit.

Yes, people have gotten legendary embers from pvp, but its always FAR FAR less than u could ever get from an 8 minute hammer station run. You might average 1-2 embers every 10 minutes with that setup, where in pvp a match lasts around 10 minutes, and you may or may not get gear from those rewards. You tell me which is harder: Doing a brainless flash-point run that's been done a million times over, or fighting against living, breathing human beings.

As a Season 1-6 rated PvPer, I would like to point out the very unfortunate situation of that you are re-releasing old season 1-6 rated pvp rewards, but not retroactively allowing me any icon flair or other deco trophies for my season 1-6 accomplishments.

Meaning your allowing new pvpers to get my old accomplishments and items, but I cannot get their later flair/deco. And sure I could queue up starting in season 13 and get character flair, but it will say season 13. Meanwhile the season 10 or so people are running around with the season 1 rancor with no way for anyone else to tell it isnt the legit season 1 rancor.

I just would like to see some character flair retroactively added to the game for the prior seasons 1-6 (or whenever they started the flair).

Edited by SOULCASTER

Theres nothing in this that would entice me towards ranked PVP. Ranked needs a mix of arenas and 8 v 8 in my opinion and something needs to be done about the toxic nature involved. I'd be happy to feature as best I can on a ranking system but not at the price of being told LTP any time you die first etc.

There is zero reason for playing unranked either - other than for the sheer (limited) fun of it.

• Dev Post

Correction:

We will be extending the Deserter queue lockout to 15 minutes, to disincentivize leaving matches early.

We will be extending the Deserter queue lockout to Unranked matches.

So when you say 'Retire the replica rewards from the vendor" does that mean the ones that are planned to be released (and have been released) will be completely removed from the vendor eventually and not available for future purchase?

Yes.

Yeah, personally not a fan of the change to require winning for ranked missions. There is already an issue with people not being incentivized to get into ranked, due to the huge skill gap between unranked and ranked. One filled with people you could theoretically farm for kills, and the other being filled with people who are able to global you if you mess up. I personally rarely play ranked due to this gap. I find I am decent at unranked, but it isn't the same level of play as ranked. I need more practice so where do I go? I could do pre-made challenges, however that requires other players to be willing to play with zero rewards. Or I can jump into ranked, and get vote kicked in round 3. So, I do ranked and try to win, because I actually want to win, but when you are the weakest link there is a high chance you will be losing more than winning. Again, I personally am fine with losing and learning from my loss, that is the basic premise of any PVP in gaming, or just challenges in general. Maybe I am overthinking this and it will be fine, but I think there is an issue with ranked and removing more incentives to the lower skilled to join in, it just reinforces the exclusivity of ranked pvp, increasing queue times, and killing the player base.

Maybe just add more rewards for winning rounds (tech frags).