Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Chapter IX KOTFE Character mute

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Chapter IX KOTFE Character mute

MoonDroid's Avatar


MoonDroid
10.30.2015 , 04:57 PM | #21
While I love most things about this expansion and think it's terrific, the old style dialogues without the player's voice were one thing I really disliked. If they insist on continuing this, I hope it will be just for minor conversations, otherwise, there should be proper cut-scenes.

Diviciacus's Avatar


Diviciacus
10.30.2015 , 05:18 PM | #22
What surprises me the most about this dialogue style is that it can't be a voice-over/cost issue, because the NPC's still talk.

It's silly.
Nonne mei fratres congruitis nobis nostram cruore ferroque humum recipienda esse aut Imperium Aeternum quae omnia speremus peregerimusque vere perdat?
Conquering the Darkest Places, the ongoing misadventures of a Sith doing what's right by her.

Dayshadow's Avatar


Dayshadow
10.30.2015 , 09:37 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Rhyltran View Post
Except they don't. They don't make as much as they wanted. Cartel, subs, or not. They originally planned to have a minimum of 500,000 players. They said to keep things going the way they were and to have regular updates/more class stories (which was in the original plan.) they needed 500,000 MINIMUM. This is what they expected. So 500,000 people paying 15 dollars a month. That's 7,500,000 a month from subs.

They switched to a free to play model that uses a game shop because they didn't have the subs they wanted. It's still profitable and it still allows them to keep the game afloat but let's be honest. They still expected better than this and if they could have the numbers they originally planned for they wouldn't have gone free to play. Note the above was literally the bare minimum. They probably expected to have several million subs.

I doubt SWTOR is making 112,000,000 a year. Oh, I'm sure it's making money but there's a reason up until KOTFE we haven't even seen another CGI trailer. Which alone costs millions btw. Voice actors aren't sheep. The work they did on the game isn't cheap and it's a concession they made to have regular updates. For the first time ever we're getting monthly chapter updates. To maintain that with their budget would require sacrifices. Those included pushing new ops back and cutting back on the amount of voice work. Before this expansion?

There have been massive lay offs. If you think the game is as profitable as expected but they went F2P just because and they cut back on the crew "Just because." you're seriously ignoring facts.

To be honest most mmo's can't afford voice work at all. So there's that.
Pre-F2P doesn't matter. Of course they went F2P because subs simply don't work anymore outside niche games like EVE Online. However, now that it is F2P they are making plenty of money. Like I said before, you're pulling excuses out of your arse. Amiright?
SWTOR gameplay edited like a television series

VallaMalDoran's Avatar


VallaMalDoran
11.02.2015 , 04:30 PM | #24
I also feel the strong need to express my opinion on the matter. While the nod to old KOTOR games, which most of us played at some point, does bring back a bit of nostalgia, it more strikingly reminds us of just how far the gaming world has progressed since then. After such dynamic, fast-paced and graphically pleasing 8 chapters of KotFE so far, the negative impression of this change is all the more striking. I really hope they bring the dialogue back to where it was, cause nostalgia or not, this is a huge leap backwards.

I loved KOTOR, but that was a lifetime ago.

Sansanor's Avatar


Sansanor
11.02.2015 , 04:40 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Rhyltran View Post
It's only for the alliance thing. It's not going to be an ongoing thing for the chapters. It's no different than SOR. Pick up a daily quest your character gives one line and you have no options for choices. You just instantly get the quest. This is a far better alternative.
Your opinion.

As for me: I hate the "widescreen" crap, with the black bars at the top and bottom. I already have a widescreen TV as my monitor, why the hell would I want my picture to be any more narrow than it already is?!? And my character is not voiced?? UGH. It's nearly dealbreaker for me.

I don't enjoy those mockeries of conversations. I spacebar the hell through them to get them the hell over with!!

Sansanor's Avatar


Sansanor
11.02.2015 , 04:43 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Rhyltran View Post
As mentioned, side quests haven't been voiced since hutt cartel. I do like this over the alternative of just "Getting the quest." Problem is the game isn't profitable enough to have each side quest fully voiced. It sucks but it is what it is.
I call BS.

They have enough money to fully voice our toons in all conversations. The problem is they CHOSE to make tons of costly changes to the rest of the game, ruining it for some of us, versus putting full attention on what is supposed to be a major expansion.

Rhyltran's Avatar


Rhyltran
11.02.2015 , 04:55 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Dayshadow View Post
Pre-F2P doesn't matter. Of course they went F2P because subs simply don't work anymore outside niche games like EVE Online. However, now that it is F2P they are making plenty of money. Like I said before, you're pulling excuses out of your arse. Amiright?
You claim it's "out of my ***." nah. How about you prove they do have the finances to do it and make a sizeable profit? You made the claim that they have the money. Not me. Can you prove as F2P they're making as much money as they expected to before F2P? You claim it doesn't matter but it does. They claimed they needed 500,000 15 dollar a month subs at minimum to keep the game going in the direction they wanted. If they are NOT making this much a month then it stands to reason they'd have to cut corners.

Quote: Originally Posted by Sansanor View Post
I call BS.

They have enough money to fully voice our toons in all conversations. The problem is they CHOSE to make tons of costly changes to the rest of the game, ruining it for some of us, versus putting full attention on what is supposed to be a major expansion.
Tinfoil hat much? So you're going to instead argue that they chose not to since Makeb because why not? I'm sure they can also release more content per expansion as well but choose not to for "Reasons."

Dayshadow's Avatar


Dayshadow
11.02.2015 , 07:21 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Rhyltran View Post
You claim it's "out of my ***." nah. How about you prove they do have the finances to do it and make a sizeable profit? You made the claim that they have the money. Not me. Can you prove as F2P they're making as much money as they expected to before F2P? You claim it doesn't matter but it does. They claimed they needed 500,000 15 dollar a month subs at minimum to keep the game going in the direction they wanted. If they are NOT making this much a month then it stands to reason they'd have to cut corners.
SWTOR profits doubled with the switch to F2P.

You made the claim they don't have the money and used that claim as the basis for your entire premise. So, yeah, YOU DO need to back it up with something. This is the typical cop out I'd expect from someone pulling crap out of their arse.

As of mid 2014, while KotFE was being developed, SWTOR ranked #4 among MMOs taking in an annual $165mil.

500,000 x 14.99 = 7.495mil monthly
7.495mil x 12 = $89.94mil annually

So that's $75.06mil over there bare minimum you mention. Nearly twice.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertco...-mmos-decline/
SWTOR gameplay edited like a television series

Rhyltran's Avatar


Rhyltran
11.02.2015 , 08:10 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Dayshadow View Post
SWTOR profits doubled with the switch to F2P.

You made the claim they don't have the money and used that claim as the basis for your entire premise. So, yeah, YOU DO need to back it up with something. This is the typical cop out I'd expect from someone pulling crap out of their arse.

As of mid 2014, while KotFE was being developed, SWTOR ranked #4 among MMOs taking in an annual $165mil.

500,000 x 14.99 = 7.495mil monthly
7.495mil x 12 = $89.94mil annually

So that's $75.06mil over there bare minimum you mention. Nearly twice.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertco...-mmos-decline/
Alright, point made. I can admit when I'm wrong. I wasn't aware they made that much.

Not to sound like a white knight but they did do the expansion in a year. Perhaps it was time constraint? They'd need to have each class actor (there's 8) say every line and the different lines that could come from picking different choices. While also doing dialogue for the new chapters and the next expansion which they've honestly probably already started (Since they seem to be aiming for one a year.) Honestly if the next chapters do really well I hope they wait a bit before the next expansion so they can do things like add voice to everything etc. Especially since KOTFE seems to have drawn in more players.

LTCeacer's Avatar


LTCeacer
12.11.2015 , 05:30 AM | #30
I want to Add to this , the conversation system already in place had NO Problems what so ever, WHY DID YOU GO AND BRING BACK THAT STUPID USELESS CONVERSATION SYSTEM !!! This wholly and compleatly sucks, they go out of their way to improve this and that, AND THEN TAKE OUT ONE OF THE BEST FEATURES OF THE GAME!

Man, EA Bioware

Get your stuff together.