The companion adjustments I think are needed.....

LordArtemis

First, I ask that no one speak of datamined info directly. Thank you.

Ok, we all know that changes are coming. However, speaking to those changes directly is not allowed, so I would like to repost my suggestion as to how I think companion adjustments should be made for the future, and would like to see other suggestions as well (including those that think they should stay as they are).

I would ask that folks remain civil.

Here is my suggestion.

I would suggest that Treek is returned to her prior strength with respect to healing. Her performance has been subpar in this respect. I would also suggest that HK gets a dps boost, and has his one shot ability restored, but set it on a long cooldown instead of having it require charges.

I would then suggest something like THIS, a tank companion that is comparable in strength to Treek and HK, one that can be purchased at level 20.

I would then move on to restore all companions to their prior single roles, except for ship droids...they would remain able to fill all three roles. The target would be 5 roles for each player....one single target healer, one AoE healer/crowd control, one ranged tank or dps, one melee tank, one other dps (melee or ranged).

So this is how it would be set up.

Ship droids would have all three roles, as the system is designed.

Treek, HK and a new Tank companion would be very powerful companions.

All other companions would have their original roles restored, but would excel at those specific roles.

This would allow maximum flexibility when it comes to players choosing their own difficulty level, and also give players a reason to recruit other companions.

Comments are welcome.

Well, the current influence system would remain in place, so you could still rank up companions to that level....the only difference is there would no longer be all three roles for all companions.

Droids would have the three roles, as would Treek, HK and the new tank companion, and all other companions would have one specific role they would fill very well.

If the companions are not to be geared by design, and BW wants them to be able to switch roles (I don't like it), then this could go like:

- the companions power level should be as if companion was geared with blue/green mods of appropriate level

- the companion's original modes should be preferred. Tank companions should be better at tanking than the rest, healers in healing etc. So for example: Qyzen in tank mode is as if he's wearing blue/purple mods, Qyzen in healing is as if in green mods. etc

-the ship droids should be useless as always

-Treek should have a feature that allowes other people set it on ignore -I wish I could not see any treek in SWTOR as it breaks my immersion when a Sith Lord comes in marching with a teddy bear by their side ;)

Nah, I prefer to pick my favorite companion and play with him/her. I've danced around who's the most compatible with my role long enough.

^ This... make them all the same in terms of numbers so I can take whatever companion I want...

Which in this case, is all Lana, all the time :D

Well, ok, in fairness, sooner or later I'll get bored of her and try someone else... but for now, having used Treek for way too long, her voice is such a refreshing change I'm not bored yet. :p

Actually, I may well end up rotating through all the companions, if memory serves, they all have achievements for 1,000 kills with each, so I'll want to get that done sooner or later.

First, I ask that no one speak of datamined info directly. Thank you.

Ok, we all know that changes are coming. However, speaking to those changes directly is not allowed, so I would like to repost my suggestion as to how I think companion adjustments should be made for the future, and would like to see other suggestions as well (including those that think they should stay as they are).

I would ask that folks remain civil.

Here is my suggestion.

I would suggest that Treek is returned to her prior strength with respect to healing. Her performance has been subpar in this respect. I would also suggest that HK gets a dps boost, and has his one shot ability restored, but set it on a long cooldown instead of having it require charges.

I would then suggest something like THIS, a tank companion that is comparable in strength to Treek and HK, one that can be purchased at level 20.

I would then move on to restore all companions to their prior single roles, except for ship droids...they would remain able to fill all three roles. The target would be 5 roles for each player....one single target healer, one AoE healer/crowd control, one ranged tank or dps, one melee tank, one other dps (melee or ranged).

So this is how it would be set up.

Ship droids would have all three roles, as the system is designed.

Treek, HK and a new Tank companion would be very powerful companions.

All other companions would have their original roles restored, but would excel at those specific roles.

This would allow maximum flexibility when it comes to players choosing their own difficulty level, and also give players a reason to recruit other companions.

Comments are welcome.

I dont wanna us Treek cause I dont a want a fracking teddy bear hello kitty as a comp, but now I suppose I will be forced to if I wanna get the H2's done

Well, the current influence system would remain in place, so you could still rank up companions to that level....the only difference is there would no longer be all three roles for all companions.

Droids would have the three roles, as would Treek, HK and the new tank companion, and all other companions would have one specific role they would fill very well.

I agree with your concept. I think one of the issue with companion balance was the perfect storm of them being all three at once. I also think, if BW is being honest about caring about the story, that not having companions being all things serves the story. Does it make sense a "medic" can also "tank" or an assassin also heal? No it does not.

Tbh this mechanical issue, plus Eric's recent posts lend strength, imo, that the "focus on the story" line was largely spin. This expac is indeed about attracting new players and the easiest way to do that is by eliminating the difference between companions. People can say "oh this is because I hate companion #3 thanks" until they are blue in the face but it was never about them...it was about the guy or gal BW hopes will hop on board when they get hyped over the movie in a month.

Only the narcissist will think the "all in one" companion was about existing players.

Actually, they have to be all roles for the story. Because BioWARE keep forcing one comp at a time on the player to beef up the comp dialogue, each comp absolutely HAS to be able to fit with the player in any role. or you will be forcing the player to respec. You simply cannot forbid someone to play heals or tank through the storyline. Edited by DomiSotto

Actually, they have to be all roles for the story. Because BioWARE keep forcing one comp at a time on the player to beef up the comp dialogue, each comp absolutely HAS to be able to fit with the player in any role. or you will be forcing the player to respec. You simply cannot forbid someone to play heals or tank through the storyline.

That's a really good point. I'd never thought of that reason for the change before.

Hey, I bought Treek too but your ideas basically come to "Make Treek god, FTW!" Sorry, I just can't go along with that. I just get sick of her and the fact that I can swap companions when I want something fresh shouldn't be hampered because the Teddy Bear of Death is the only viable option.

This misses the point of being able to choose the role, which allows you to pick your favorite companion to run around with instead of having to pick the companion you need to use to be viable. I want to be able to use who I want, not who is forced on me based on the role I need.

We don't really need to add a bunch of false grinds into the system for leveling up the influence of companions by making use have to keep swapping them all the time based on what we are doing.

Nope. I like being able to use any companion I want for whatever role is needed at the time. But I do agree that comps need a special ability unique to them to distinguish them from the rest i. e. HK's assassinate ability.

Yeah, I would support bring back some of the unique abilities for companions, even if they only exist in certain roles, but I'm pretty dead set against making them specialized again. I want to play with who I like, not who's skills that were arbitrarily chosen in a design meeting that I need.