Analysis: Stormtroopers

Wolfninjajedi

as explained in the books they are luring the AT-ST's into the trap they already set up. You don't think they magically had those logs all ready to go do you?

Not to mention how many Ewoks do they actually kill? 2 maybe 3?

So we have an entire Legion of the Emperor's best Stormtroopers who pretty much all get slaughtered then eaten by the Ewoks, they destroy we see what 3 At-Sts while the Entire Legion of the Emperor's best Stormtroopers mange to kill 2-3 Ewoks.

Sorry the Stormtroopers were lead into a trap and slaughtered.

Well they hijacked one, and the one that was hijacked destroyed one. Then the traps destroyed 2 others. So there was 4 AT-STs total, one hijacked, the other destroyed by the hijacked one, and two others by the traps. I never thought once that the logs and rocks magically appeared, there was a time between the rebels getting into the bunker and the actual battle so they could have had time to set them up.

So ya, the stormtroopers were killed. The AT-STs however were doing something, and took more effort to do so.

There was still cloning after Kamino, Spaarti cloning wasn't it?

Also, there's real psychology behind the Stormies vs Rebels. Stormtroopers have full helmets with face coverings, while the Rebels had uncovered faces. In studies soldiers are less inclined to shoot a person without a mask than a person with one. Anything that looks in/non-human we find easier to kill. In these studies soldiers will miss - intentionally and subconsciously - unmasked combatants far more than they will masked ones.

So an argument can be made that legitimate mind-games came into effect, making their aim worse. Which is completely incidental to why they couldn't shoot when they needed to: the main characters aren't supposed to be killed no matter how good the "bad guys" are :p

As for ewoks in trees, as ridiculous as it is, at least the argument for the fact that Stormie armour isn't meant to guard against crushing and smashing can be offered.

The NSDAP Stormtroopers were the SA, under Ernst Rohm, which was disbanded in 1934 in the Night of Longknives. The leftovers were absorbed into the SS; the SA under Rohm and the SS under Goebbels were rivals.

Also, there's real psychology behind the Stormies vs Rebels. Stormtroopers have full helmets with face coverings, while the Rebels had uncovered faces. In studies soldiers are less inclined to shoot a person without a mask than a person with one. Anything that looks in/non-human we find easier to kill. In these studies soldiers will miss - intentionally and subconsciously - unmasked combatants far more than they will masked ones.

So an argument can be made that legitimate mind-games came into effect, making their aim worse. Which is completely incidental to why they couldn't shoot when they needed to: the main characters aren't supposed to be killed no matter how good the "bad guys" are :p

eh it doesn't really work like that... I served in combat for close to 8 years and the first thing and marine or soldier learns to do is dehumanize the enemy no matter if you can see their face or not and no matter what they look like... if we were talking about green troops those studies may be relevant but we are not... of course it helps if the enemy aids you in this... for example I noticed most troops I served with had a hatred for terrorists so the times when the enemy were dressed in the stereotypical "Muslim terrorist" garb, beards, turbans and whatnot, it wasn't a problem even for the greenest troops... even most newbs have no problems with the actual shooting of the enemy because of the way training is designed, you train to operate from muscle memory and by instinct because thinking or hesitating in a fire fight take time and that gets you killed... usually the emotional problems don't come into play till after the fight when they have time to sit, think and stew over the fact they just killed people... also if you read the lore brainwashing was actually standard in stormtrooper training so that should have made it even easier for them as apposed to real life troops who have to learn to do it....

again Stormies in the movies were just unfortunate victims of plot... the plot called for them to not kill certain characters so they missed ... and, judging by the way they carry and handle their weapons and move I'd venture to guess none of them actually had any training and there was no military/firearms adviser at hand for the films... I mean come on you see them running around a few times with their finger on the trigger... that goes against the very first rule anyone competent with firearms teachs

Edited by Liquidacid

again Stormies in the movies were just unfortunate victims of plot... the plot called for them to not kill certain characters so they missed ... and, judging by the way they carry and handle their weapons and move I'd venture to guess none of them actually had any training and there was no military/firearms adviser at hand for the films... I mean come on you see them running around a few times with their finger on the trigger... that goes against the very first rule anyone competent with firearms teachs

Not to mention a lot of the storm troopers were people from around the area of filming in London. A lot of which didn't take A New Hope Seriously. You can see and hear that in some of the documentaries about the making of ANH.

That and Lucas purposely had their shots miss through editing. If he had wanted them to be crack shots he would have had their shots group a lot closer to the heroes to the point where they almost hit them and most of the time their dodging the shots. What would have helped their case would be probably canon fodder for the Stormies to gun down like escaped Rebels on the Death Star.

Like when Han and Luke freed the Princess the Rebels from Tantive IV volunteered to sacrifice themselves for the princess or something of the nature.

Well they hijacked one, and the one that was hijacked destroyed one. Then the traps destroyed 2 others. So there was 4 AT-STs total, one hijacked, the other destroyed by the hijacked one, and two others by the traps. I never thought once that the logs and rocks magically appeared, there was a time between the rebels getting into the bunker and the actual battle so they could have had time to set them up.

So ya, the stormtroopers were killed. The AT-STs however were doing something, and took more effort to do so.

exactly and out of the hundreds of Emperors best storm trooper they only kill maybe 5 ewoks.