I am angry about the economic exploit.

bheta

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The ramifications for people that pull these exploits off are never to the extent of what they should be, I doubt bioware will do a lot about it as it is an issue they have created that has been exploited, not hacked, and there is a difference.

Prove it. Prove to us right now that you have factual data that flies in the face of that recent post, the recent expense they have incurred. Demonstrate to us with more then your opinion that they have invested the time and money into this issue with a written company policy that states "we will extend our investment to X in order to reduce and control such exploits. Once discovered the official company policy will be to do little or nothing".

If you can't, then it is just more opinion based conjecture.

I thought they were talking about the speeding hacking on those bird eggs on Alderaan, players are making good money selling those. If they got a @#$@#$@#$ (specific instructions bad here too?) guaranteed it every time. What was this exploit that could give you so much credits? The only way I could think of is buying them online or was this more of a buggy mission. Edited by ZackAlklazaris

sure they do....:rolleyes:

I'd report somebody in a hearbeat....game-related or in RL.

I never see how reporting someone will benefit you. Play your own game, if people want to use exploits then thats their business. Same with RL. If someones murdered someone then yea, they are a danger to the public and id probably snitch. But other than that its their business unless it directly effects me.

Hmmm, some folks seem to be speaking as though they know what it was. I certainly don't want specific instructions by any means, but I am certainly very curious as to what the end result of this exploit was that was so serious as to warrant an emergency patch. Obviously the ennnd result was making lots of money, but I wonder whether it added a million credits in a single action, or 5 million per day, or an unlimited amount whenever the player wanted, etc.

http://www.swtor.com/community/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=4146040

So I log in today, and I must have been running at 70% over. Any cool downs were faster. Attacks that last 4 seconds lasted 2.5 seconds. I thought it was my connection, just lag. But then I grouped with somebody else and they commented on how fast I was running. I almost kept up with his speeder. Computer crashed, and when I came back on I was all better. I stayed out of wz's, but did quests... Didn't want someone to say I was using a hack and getting me banned...

This was on Lord Adraas.

I still don't know what happened. I don't know how it happened. But I knowingly played it like that for 2 hours or so. I think a lot less, but can't be sure. Did I exploit? Did I cheat? Should I be banned?

Now, before anybody yells "there is a difference"...... I know there is a huge difference. When I played, I purposely stayed out of wz's. I did a few quests. And yes, I lost a race to a speeder. (gotta admit, that was kind of funny though.) So nothing I did really affected anybody else for that period of time. I hope it would also be clear that it was not intentional.

I installed nothing on my computer. In fact, my gaming computer is a very old computer, so I have nothing installed on it except Windows, LOTRO, and this game. I use it for no other purpose than two of my favorite games. Don't even use it to browse on the internet....

Also, another difference I guess would be that I reported my speed boost within 20 minutes of logging in, as soon as it was clear it wasn't just extreme lag or something on my end that made it only look like I was moving fast.... This required a second person with me....

Any intentional exploiter should be instantly banned without warning or temp bans. Those that exploit know exactly what they are doing and anyone with half a brain will instantly know if something is exploiting.

If BioWare is truly being lax with the punishments then they run a heavy risk of killing their own game. It's happened before in past games. What will happen is, when the next exploit surfaces (and they always do at times, it's inevitable), everyone will jump on it due to no fear of real consequences. Yeah, have fun with that then.

I never see how reporting someone will benefit you. Play your own game, if people want to use exploits then thats their business. Same with RL. If someones murdered someone then yea, they are a danger to the public and id probably snitch. But other than that its their business unless it directly effects me.

That to see how ignorant ppl are. If someone is stealing public money or doing something illegal it will affect you, ever if you don't realize it. We are a community on this game and on RL, everyone's action have a impact on the others economic life ever if you like it or not.

I am talking about economy, politics and all this stuff, not personal life.

Edited by HandallTorben

It's more likely they'll give everyone a free million credits, than for them to take the right actions on this ...

Yeah. Once again, prove it. Prove your contention, as it has been demonstrated that companies do ban, do remove items and money from the exploiter if they do not ban them.

You are attempting to fly conjecture in the face of fact, so prove it.

First it is fixed , 2th i don't want instructions i just want to know what they was doing. Like, ppl was selling itens over and over , just what it was, not how to do it.

First, even if it is fixed, it may demonstrate vectors to other exploits. Second, telling you "what it was" is identical to providing instructions.

I don't want to dig through the thread again to find that person saying this must be a new policy.....

Here you go! http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=120099

Our Terms of Service team recently took action against some accounts playing Star Wars: The Old Republic, and we wanted to give you some insight into what happened and why.

First, action was taken against a number of accounts for what's commonly known as 'gold farming' - or in our case, credit farming. These accounts were found to be exploiting the game in a variety of ways to maximize their credits in order to sell them to other players. Our Terms of Service team took action against these accounts and removed them permanently from the game.

Second, a smaller number of accounts were warned or temporarily suspended for exploiting loot containers on Ilum. To be completely clear, while players may choose to travel to Ilum earlier than the recommended level (40+) and may loot containers if they can get to them, in the cases of those customers that were warned or temporarily suspended, they were systematically and repeatedly looting containers in very high numbers resulting in the game economy becoming unbalanced.

None of these accounts were banned for their actions and no accounts have been banned for travelling to Ilum while still relatively low level. By comparison, the number of accounts that were warned or temporarily suspended was considerably lower than the number of accounts banned for 'credit farming'.

It's important to remember that our Terms of Service team is extremely careful and thorough in their investigation of any potential exploit or unusual activity in-game. Working closely with the development team and using extensive metrics based on player activity, they are able to determine what is normal player activity, what is unusual and what is exploiting. Our goal is always to ensure a fair game experience for all players while also protecting the rights of individuals, and if people are disrupting the play experience for others action will be taken.

While we will not discuss the details of any individual action, whenever we take action against an account we believe they have clearly broken our Terms of Service. Any action taken against an account can be appealed and in some cases actions have been rescinded.

While we understand people's concern about actions taken against accounts, please remember the Terms of Service team exists to help ensure a balanced and fair game experience for all. When you see reports of actions taken against someone's account, remember they are choosing to tell their version of the story - and there are two sides to every story.

In summary, our Terms of Service team took action against a number of accounts that were 'credit farming' to remove them permanently from the game. They also warned and temporarily suspended - but did not ban - a smaller number of accounts for activities on Ilum that were decided to be game exploits.

Some adjustments will be made to Ilum in the near future to discourage future exploits. However, the planet is still open to anyone who wishes to travel there.

The goal of the Star Wars: The Old Republic team is to maintain a service for our customers that is fun to play and equitable for everyone. Critical to this goal is making sure that gameplay is fair and reasonable and we are constantly on the lookout for anything that would prove to be a detriment to your gameplay experiences.

Thanks for reading, and we hope this gave you some insights.

What is the date on that post? Very, very recent, like the last couple days? This is an issue they have always taken seriously, and hopefully always will......

I never see how reporting someone will benefit you.

:confused:

Is this a joke?

If I am playing objective based PVP to earn gear and ranks, and some guys are causing my team to lose repeatedly because they are cheating with hacks, that most certainly DOES affect me, and incredibly and unfairly BENEFITS them.

Yeah it benefited me when they got busted and we could get a fair PVP match for a change.

- DH

Edited by Diet-Hutt

I was querying as to the nature of this exploit earlier in order to understand how much of an impact this had or would cause (I'm a University researcher doing a number of experiments with MMORPGs at the moment, this sortof thing is always interesting to me); there was certainly much speculation as to what it could entail and numerous arguments across the forums have erupted regarding whether it warranted emergency downtime or even if the servers should have gone down sooner.

I found out from another thread (which is now deleted) what this was all about and since a few other people have also asked in this thread, I will not give out any details but will say that yes, this was a pretty huge exploit that could generate an almost unlimited amount of credits (proportional to time invested farming). It's difficult to say what action should be taken in this case but I would say that credits equal to the amount gained in this method should be removed from the offending accounts, and the balance left outstanding after this is done taken away through reverting unlocks.

This would certainly explain why the GTN on my server seems to have been bought out over the last week, over 50% of the categories are empty at the moment. Mind you, this is a server with around 200 unique players on a night, so...

-J

I am obviously missing something. How is anyone making "millions" of credits using speed/teleport exploits? I would think? that speed/teleport hacks would simply get you to where you're going a little faster..how is there money to be made in that?

As for any other "exploits" I dunno..on one hand it makes me mad because its NEVER me that figures them out lol but honestly? this game is all about figuring things out..how to get to those impossible to reach datacrons, what attacks will bring down a boss quicker, ..its a game of skill and cunning,,and if within this game "Alice" stumbles through the looking glass and finds "wonderland" should we really blame Alice or the one who left the magic mirror there in the first place? Of course shes going to keep going back..

Don't get me wrong..unintentional occurances which give savvy players an unfair advantage need to be fixed, but banning the players who found them is wrong..I think Bioware should HIRE them instead of banning them then maybe things wont get so out of hand.