Here's an idea: Get rid of team ranked and focus on improving solo ranked.

Friend-Referral

Thought of his recently. I feel like team ranked is beyond saving at this stage in the game. In fact it should've been gutted a long time ago. It's been worse off than 8v8 ranked when that was a thing because of all the wintrading and cheating that's been going on. The population has been so low and wintraders and que maniuplators are always going to take advantage of it, especially on dead servers.

Remember when BW added a bunch of mats to team ranked and it was "thriving" back in s9? Yeah, no. It was still the same 3 or 4 teams but now they could work around each other because all these new "teams" that were forming were nothing but mat farming teams going in, /stucking right off the bat and dying to finish the weeklies while they handed "real" teams all-you-can-eat elo. If the "real" teams were in que at the same time, at least one team would just swap onto alts they didn't care about so they didn't lose precious elo to another team that could beat them.

After s9, they scaled back on the mats like before and then it "died" again. With these "real" teams not queing much anymore because mat farmers have no reason to que for it again, this has once again made it easier for the cheaters to take advantage of the dead ques and que bots and friends throwing for each other for their top 3s in that bracket.

With all this in mind, I believe it more than justifies gutting team ranked for good and being able to give your undivided attention to solo ranked and improve and police that instead of having to worry about 2 brackets and missing a lot of cheaters in both at the end of the seasons.

Edited by ColorfulCaiques

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Remember when BW added a bunch of mats to team ranked and it was "thriving" back in s9? Yeah, no. It was still the same 3 or 4 teams but now they could work around each other because all these new "teams" that were forming were nothing but mat farming teams going in, /stucking right off the bat and dying to finish the weeklies while they handed "real" teams all-you-can-eat elo. If the "real" teams were in que at the same time, at least one team would just swap onto alts they didn't care about so they didn't lose precious elo to another team that could beat them.

Is this a joke? My team had literally hundreds of matches against other good teams in season 9, it was kind of a golden age for group ranked. I don’t think you realize that the best group ranked players have very little interest in playing mat farming teams. The main importance of mat farmers was that they incentivize intermediate skilled teams to also queue, which eventually results in a ranked queue that has a diversity of different skill levels in it. When the top players got a lot of rating, the match maker would put them against other high rated teams, so the whole active ranked scene actually ended up putting high rated teams against each other.

The whole thing about teams taking turns farming mat farmers was something that mostly happened on EU servers, not so much on NA. On a separate note, there was also a great deal of boosting amongst certain EU and SS players, we won’t name names, but go look at s9 group ranked leaderboards and check out those characters that got reset to 0 rating ;)

Edited by SlimeyDoom

Thought of his recently. I feel like team ranked is beyond saving at this stage in the game. In fact it should've been gutted a long time ago. It's been worse off than 8v8 ranked when that was a thing because of all the wintrading and cheating that's been going on. The population has been so low and wintraders and que maniuplators are always going to take advantage of it, especially on dead servers.

You are wrong here. When mat farming existed there wasn't so much dodging among top teams since they never could guess what characters/classes or even faction top teams will choose to play. Even if they thought that is it safe to queue top teams always appeared unexpectedly, queued fast and so called dodgers got a pop without knowing who they going to fight. And even if some dodging existed - it is NOT AGAINST RULLES. every team may decide when to queue and when to stop queueing. Team ranked before season 11 was thriving, pops were very often. Highrated teams fought other highrated teams or mat farmers, mat farmers fought other mat farmers or highrated teams, mediocore teams also fought highrated teams and mat farmers or other mediocore teams.

They should not have removed mat farming from team ranked since it is the only thing which kept it alive. That was a stupid decision and now team ranked is full of wintraders who got their top 96 spots with 5-20 games against their friend teams.

By the way, if you think dodging isn't existing in solo ranked - you are mistaken. If a highrated player knows there is more skilled player queueing and that this player also has high rating believe me he won't queue (if this guy is an experienced solo ranked player who knows how the system works). Instead, he will wait until all skilled players are gone and will queue when only mat farmers are queueing so he could carry his team of full noobs alone against other team of full noobs. So it is like this - if you are a skilled highrated player who has 3 bad players in your team against more skilled highrated player who also has 3 bad players, you will loose because of lack of skill. If you are a skilled highrated players with 3 bad players against a team full of bad players you can easily win it by carrying the fight. So yeah, thats how it works for top players.

Healer/tank or dps games also matters. From my own experience getting top spots on marauder/sentinel - i was dodging pure dps games (4 dps vs 4 dps games) because i know advantages and disadvantages of my class - it is powerful killing machine with a healer support but squishy, easy killable class in pure dps fights. So of course i was dodging dps games and was queueing mostly when healers were queueing lol. Queueing on scoundrel when there are tank/heal games was bad since scoundrel is more a support class, it can't do much damage compared to marauder so on this class i was dodging heal/tank games. Thanks to this and many other tricks i managed to get highest spots during seasons. So be sure - highrated players dodge in solo ranked TOO.

Edited by omaan

With this kind of thinking they should get rid of ranked overall. Sure, you lose a few subs, but thats pretty much it, much less trouble, drama and costs saved which are going into investigations.

But honestly, I love the arena format. If we take ranked out entirely, there would be no way for us to que solely for arenas thus leaving only regs. I would never come back to this game if regs were the only PvP option. I also think ranked CAN work and SHOULD stay in some format (in this case solo ranked), but BW needs to stop half a**ing it, make radical improvements, repeal the elo system and replace, and start issuing permanent bans to repeat and/or serious offending cheaters.

Is this a joke?

No I'm being serious

My team had literally hundreds of matches against other good teams in season 9, it was kind of a golden age for group ranked.

S9 was not any "golden age", especially with all the cheating and que manipulation going on.

I don’t think you realize that the best group ranked players have very little interest in playing mat farming teams.

I don't even know where to start with this claim lol...

The main importance of mat farmers was that they incentivize intermediate skilled teams to also queue, which eventually results in a ranked queue that has a diversity of different skill levels in it. When the top players got a lot of rating, the match maker would put them against other high rated teams, so the whole active ranked scene actually ended up putting high rated teams against each other.

The only thing that was incentivized was these "good" teams inflating their elo by farming mat farmers.

The whole thing about teams taking turns farming mat farmers was something that mostly happened on EU servers, not so much on NA. On a separate note, there was also a great deal of boosting amongst certain EU and SS players, we won’t name names, but go look at s9 group ranked leaderboards and check out those characters that got reset to 0 rating ;)

Heh "mostly". It happened across both regions on all servers. I play on NA and definitely saw these "good" teams quickly form duing very odd hours of the day if news broke there was a mat farming team in que.

And the last thing i need is a lecture on moderation. BW missed a lot of cheaters in both brackets. They may have gotten some but they allowed many to get off scot free, and even reversed most of whom they initially reset.

But honestly, I love the arena format. If we take ranked out entirely, there would be no way for us to que solely for arenas thus leaving only regs. I would never come back to this game if regs were the only PvP option. I also think ranked CAN work and SHOULD stay in some format (in this case solo ranked), but BW needs to stop half a**ing it, make radical improvements, repeal the elo system and replace, and start issuing permanent bans to repeat and/or serious offending cheaters.

In that case let it be a pre-season like at start. That way its ranked but no elo, no leaderboards.

Aren't you an admitted wintrader?

Admitted?IF you think a guy is a wintrader only because some other suspicious players said so then i admit you are a wintrader. So pls stop writing nonsense things, wintrader

Admitted?IF you think a guy is a wintrader only because some other suspicious players said so then i admit you are a wintrader. So pls stop writing nonsense things, wintrader

Niats tseggib emem

Read backwards

the amount of time bioware spends specifically on group ranked that might otherwise be spent on solo ranked is surely miniscule. as far as I can tell it's basically deciding what the daily/weekly will give you and how much wins/losses will count towards those and then they're done

the # of players in group ranked is fairly small and only active in spurts, such that removing the game mode they like to play is not going to have any major impact on the quality of solo ranked

what is the deal with people on this board wanting to REMOVE game modes they don't like/don't play? just let people have group ranked if they like it. we get a REMOVE SOLOS thread from someone who doesn't play them every other week

Edited by bUrself_

I don't even know where to start with this claim lol...

the teams most interested in playing mat farmers are the ones that can't beat the best teams and most neurotically focused on getting elo at any cost

even if the best teams weren't often largely or at least partially motivated by just wanting to play good 4s matches (which some of them certainly were) they wouldn't need to play against mat farmers to climb because, well, they're winning most of their games regardless of who is in the queue

lastly, do you know how little elo you get playing against a full mat farmer team when you have a team of people with actual elo? it's so low that it's genuinely not even worth your time

You are wrong here. When mat farming existed there wasn't so much dodging among top teams since they never could guess what characters/classes or even faction top teams will choose to play. Even if they thought that is it safe to queue top teams always appeared unexpectedly, queued fast and so called dodgers got a pop without knowing who they going to fight. And even if some dodging existed - it is NOT AGAINST RULLES. every team may decide when to queue and when to stop queueing. Team ranked before season 11 was thriving, pops were very often. Highrated teams fought other highrated teams or mat farmers, mat farmers fought other mat farmers or highrated teams, mediocore teams also fought highrated teams and mat farmers or other mediocore teams.

They should not have removed mat farming from team ranked since it is the only thing which kept it alive. That was a stupid decision and now team ranked is full of wintraders who got their top 96 spots with 5-20 games against their friend teams.

By the way, if you think dodging isn't existing in solo ranked - you are mistaken. If a highrated player knows there is more skilled player queueing and that this player also has high rating believe me he won't queue (if this guy is an experienced solo ranked player who knows how the system works). Instead, he will wait until all skilled players are gone and will queue when only mat farmers are queueing so he could carry his team of full noobs alone against other team of full noobs. So it is like this - if you are a skilled highrated player who has 3 bad players in your team against more skilled highrated player who also has 3 bad players, you will loose because of lack of skill. If you are a skilled highrated players with 3 bad players against a team full of bad players you can easily win it by carrying the fight. So yeah, thats how it works for top players.

Healer/tank or dps games also matters. From my own experience getting top spots on marauder/sentinel - i was dodging pure dps games (4 dps vs 4 dps games) because i know advantages and disadvantages of my class - it is powerful killing machine with a healer support but squishy, easy killable class in pure dps fights. So of course i was dodging dps games and was queueing mostly when healers were queueing lol. Queueing on scoundrel when there are tank/heal games was bad since scoundrel is more a support class, it can't do much damage compared to marauder so on this class i was dodging heal/tank games. Thanks to this and many other tricks i managed to get highest spots during seasons. So be sure - highrated players dodge in solo ranked TOO.

How do you keep track of all those things ? Like when to dodge heal tanks games.. or 4 dps games. that seems like a different science in itself.

How do you keep track of all those things ? Like when to dodge heal tanks games.. or 4 dps games. that seems like a different science in itself.

You do a /who search for the arena maps and see who's queuing. It doesn't exactly take a genius. I wouldnt remove anything because it does keep some people around and if you don't like it you can just not participate. But anyone claiming anything based on rating should be taken with a giant grain of salt.

You do a /who search for the arena maps and see who's queuing. It doesn't exactly take a genius. I wouldnt remove anything because it does keep some people around and if you don't like it you can just not participate. But anyone claiming anything based on rating should be taken with a giant grain of salt.

I sort of do that in regs to queue dodge a certain guild I don’t want on my team. They always run a premade and you always lose if they are on your team. :cool:

Queue on character you don't care to loose elo on and play 1-2 fights to see if tanks and healers are on, ask your friends who started to play earlier than you, write in search option tatooine canyon, orbital station, makeb mesa arena and other arenas to see who is palying them. After long time playing you can see by nick names who is a tank or healer from your previous experience etc.

Getting elo in this game is an art which requires not only high skill of playing your class, reputation etc but also many different tricks considering which class,spec and when to queue .

Edited by omaan

S9 was not any "golden age", especially with all the cheating and que manipulation going on.

S9 was definitely a golden age in terms of group ranked activity compared to what we have now. That season we had hundreds of games against teams that were actually good, now we have like sporadic 40 matches against very mediocre players. There was cheating for sure, but it wasn't as blatant as the nonsense we had in season 10.

The only thing that was incentivized was these "good" teams inflating their elo by farming mat farmers.

The two top NA teams in s9 were the Caprica's team and Ruining Lives. There's literally hours of video of both of these teams seeking the other out and playing hundreds of matches against them. I was there, I played in them. Caprica's team doesn't play anymore, but Ruining Lives plays infrequently right now. This is because the quality of matches is just not exciting and not worth the time to log in. There are players that would love to farm mat farming teams, but those people are not top players, and they act like that because they know they can't beat good teams but still want to feel good about themselves. Just because you made a post on the forums about how good teams like us only play mat farmers does not make that claim true.

Heh "mostly". It happened across both regions on all servers.

I mean the players that got banned for boosting were mostly EU with some SS, but whatever floats your boat

I play on NA and definitely saw these "good" teams quickly form duing very odd hours of the day if news broke there was a mat farming team in que.

Neither of the two top teams in s9 would do this that often. It's like when you go into a reg match and straight up stomp the other team. It's not fun. Most ranked matches happened during server prime time anyway, back then

And the last thing i need is a lecture on moderation. BW missed a lot of cheaters in both brackets. They may have gotten some but they allowed many to get off scot free, and even reversed most of whom they initially reset.

Good for you buddy. Who are you again? You talk about the group ranked scene like you're some expert, and yet I'm pretty sure I've never queued against you. Reading about group ranked/watching you tube videos does not make you an expert :rolleyes:

Edited by SlimeyDoom

With him its actually a bit tricky. Getting to top is near to impossible so..... it could be that he had help, but its hard to say.

The irony of a certain poster suggesting someone else is wintrading...

"Hello pot," said the kettle