Main Story Direction Idea

MacKMadsen

Hey guys,

This is mainly aimed at the devs. I'm really pleased with the direction you're taking the game and in fact just about every suggestion I have had since Fallen Empire will be implemented by the end of the summer so that's very much appreciated. So that really only leaves one big one that comes to mind and it relates to the story.

I mainly play SWTOR for the story and I loved the chapters with their intense cinamatics and lack of grinding to get to the tasty story bits but there a few things I think could improve it even more going forward.

1. Probably the biggest, but I missed my characters being less important. I mean, their actions had an effect on the galaxy and they were definately VIPs in their respective factions but they weren't the leaders of a superpower and I know some of most of my characters to varying degrees weren't the types to take to ruling very well. My one Hunter is a nomad, my troopers were fit into the role of commander naturally but hated the statecraft and attention while my one main jedi just wanted to do the right thing. Becoming the new emperor I felt was a step too far on the 'your character matters' bar and it makes much tougher decisions for you guys writing in terms of trying to give our choices impact.

Personally I'd like to go back being just one player, so to speak, in a much bigger setting flying around the galaxy in my ship with a small team of beloved companions. Luckily I have a thought on how that coud come to pass. The alliance is still made up of mercenary, ex-imperial and republic forces united in accomplishingthe defeat of the eternal empire and *spoiler alert* it did. Now with their main reason for being their through and the old Pub-Imp war flairing up again there's going to be at the very least some tension, but more likely a lot. What if the plausible happens and it all goes up in smoke? Tensions boild over and the alliance fractures on Imperial and Republic lines with no one exempt. The commander has already alligned themselves in this on Iokath so the have loyalists based on that decision but in the fighting on Odessen even their companions can't help but are forced to choose sides, largely influenced by past decisions you made and who you chose to ally with. Here the player deals with them in mini boss fights and has a chance to spare, rescue or kill some while others escape to become recurring allies or enemies later on. However after these confrontations both sides bleed themselves dry indecisively so it becomes a fighting withdrawl to the ships so they can rejoin their respective faction's fleets and on the way back to their ship the player chooses which of their still loyal companions to take with them on their ship(like, 5 or six not including HK and Treek ect) and they show up there from now on and are your permanent companions from then on.

I think this offers up some really impactful encounters and choices right from the get-go and sets up plenty more to come. My good-guy bounty hunter defected to the republic like he had wanted to for years but he also romanced Lana so if she ends up going back to the empire both that pivotal moment and the eventual and inevitable confrontation with him and Theron would be the stuff of legend whether it results in a happy ending or not. This is just my rough concept for what I would ideally like to see going forward in terms of story and plot direction, you devs are free to take from it what you will(it's highly encouraged in fact :p) but I think something along those lines has a lot of potential. If people are worried about not being able to run around with certain companions they killed off then something like that holo in the outlander's room on oddessen would be a good fix.

2. These are mostly little things mechanical here out but they have an effect on my imerssion when roleplaying so I think they are not out of place in the story thread. The first of those is bringing back multiplayer to story missions. I love the single player focus but I do like to occaisionally play this game with friends and a big plus to this game is being able to experience a starwars story with my buddies so bringing back party particicpation in story missions and cut scenes would really nice. It would also help contextualizing all these other ****** PCs running around the place story wise(though that might take some story explanation as well for why there are other outlanders).

3. If my bounty hunter defected to the Republic I'd like to be able to go to courescant, the vaikeden space dock, and republic landingzones/spaceports in general. Not sure if that's practical but it'd be a small thing that is majorly satsifying.

4. Sort of a recuring theme in my points but bring the PC down a few levels(not literally though). Being king/queen of the galaxy is boring but having everything they built blow up in their face and the be forced to go back to their old(or new) bosses would be a real character building moment for those of us that keep track of our character's persoanlity and development and present really rich possibilities in terms of story, whether it's the main plot, side quests or companion interactions.

5. Could we get some more side conversations with our companions? I know voice actors are expensive but just one or two new conversations every month or two would be great, especially with romanced companions.

That's about it for my idea dump here. I'm really encouraged by your guys renewed effort to comunicate and take in feed back so here's my two bits. I had four in January but you guys already took care of half of 'em so here's hoping on the rest...

BTW if Charles is reading this I just wanted to say that I love it in the dev streams when you casually drop in a "ya'all". I'm Canadian so hearing that outside of a movie or ironic accent is a novel experience :D

Edited by MacKMadsen
Broke up the first point into paragraphs.

Broke it up a bit. Apologies for any spelling or grammar errors, there wasn't much time to edit it before I posted and my browser's spell check is in Danish, not English so I couldn't just quickly do a run over with that.

Hey guys,

This is mainly aimed at the devs. I'm really pleased with the direction you're taking the game and in fact just about every suggestion I have had since Fallen Empire will be implemented by the end of the summer so that's very much appreciated. So that really only leaves one big one that comes to mind and it relates to the story.

I mainly play SWTOR for the story and I loved the chapters with their intense cinamatics and lack of grinding to get to the tasty story bits but there a few things I think could improve it even more going forward.

1. Probably the biggest, but I missed my characters being less important. I mean, their actions had an effect on the galaxy and they were definately VIPs in their respective factions but they weren't the leaders of a superpower and I know some of most of my characters to varying degrees weren't the types to take to ruling very well. My one Hunter is a nomad, my troopers were fit into the role of commander naturally but hated the statecraft and attention while my one main jedi just wanted to do the right thing. Becoming the new emperor I felt was a step too far on the 'your character matters' bar and it makes much tougher decisions for you guys writing in terms of trying to give our choices impact.

Personally I'd like to go back being just one player, so to speak, in a much bigger setting flying around the galaxy in my ship with a small team of beloved companions. Luckily I have a thought on how that coud come to pass. The alliance is still made up of mercenary, ex-imperial and republic forces united in accomplishingthe defeat of the eternal empire and *spoiler alert* it did. Now with their main reason for being their through and the old Pub-Imp war flairing up again there's going to be at the very least some tension, but more likely a lot. What if the plausible happens and it all goes up in smoke? Tensions boild over and the alliance fractures on Imperial and Republic lines with no one exempt. The commander has already alligned themselves in this on Iokath so the have loyalists based on that decision but in the fighting on Odessen even their companions can't help but are forced to choose sides, largely influenced by past decisions you made and who you chose to ally with. Here the player deals with them in mini boss fights and has a chance to spare, rescue or kill some while others escape to become recurring allies or enemies later on. However after these confrontations both sides bleed themselves dry indecisively so it becomes a fighting withdrawl to the ships so they can rejoin their respective faction's fleets and on the way back to their ship the player chooses which of their still loyal companions to take with them on their ship(like, 5 or six not including HK and Treek ect) and they show up there from now on and are your permanent companions from then on.

I think this offers up some really impactful encounters and choices right from the get-go and sets up plenty more to come. My good-guy bounty hunter defected to the republic like he had wanted to for years but he also romanced Lana so if she ends up going back to the empire both that pivotal moment and the eventual and inevitable confrontation with him and Theron would be the stuff of legend whether it results in a happy ending or not. This is just my rough concept for what I would ideally like to see going forward in terms of story and plot direction, you devs are free to take from it what you will(it's highly encouraged in fact :p) but I think something along those lines has a lot of potential. If people are worried about not being able to run around with certain companions they killed off then something like that holo in the outlander's room on oddessen would be a good fix.

2. These are mostly little things mechanical here out but they have an effect on my imerssion when roleplaying so I think they are not out of place in the story thread. The first of those is bringing back multiplayer to story missions. I love the single player focus but I do like to occaisionally play this game with friends and a big plus to this game is being able to experience a starwars story with my buddies so bringing back party particicpation in story missions and cut scenes would really nice. It would also help contextualizing all these other ****** PCs running around the place story wise(though that might take some story explanation as well for why there are other outlanders).

3. If my bounty hunter defected to the Republic I'd like to be able to go to courescant, the vaikeden space dock, and republic landingzones/spaceports in general. Not sure if that's practical but it'd be a small thing that is majorly satsifying.

4. Sort of a recuring theme in my points but bring the PC down a few levels(not literally though). Being king/queen of the galaxy is boring but having everything they built blow up in their face and the be forced to go back to their old(or new) bosses would be a real character building moment for those of us that keep track of our character's persoanlity and development and present really rich possibilities in terms of story, whether it's the main plot, side quests or companion interactions.

5. Could we get some more side conversations with our companions? I know voice actors are expensive but just one or two new conversations every month or two would be great, especially with romanced companions.

That's about it for my idea dump here. I'm really encouraged by your guys renewed effort to comunicate and take in feed back so here's my two bits. I had four in January but you guys already took care of half of 'em so here's hoping on the rest...

BTW if Charles is reading this I just wanted to say that I love it in the dev streams when you casually drop in a "ya'all". I'm Canadian so hearing that outside of a movie or ironic accent is a novel experience :D

I like the concept Idea where a light side imp at end game can defect and become a republic toon and vica versa. That would mix it up good and be interesting

Edited by IntegrationArch