WORLD PVP: The BEST advice I can give Bioware

Mirialol

There is no way to 'implement' open world pvp.

It is up to individual players on the each server to decide whether to participate or not. Theres very little bioware can do besides adding more incentives to do world pvp

What bioware should really do about world pvp is:

1. To reduce ilum population. How? Change the PvP daily so that it reads: Kill 5 enemy player (lvl 50) on ANY planet. Right now, TOO MANY level 50's hang out in ilum, for world PvP on any other planets to happen!

2. Add cross faction pve daily quest area on EVERY planet (every planet should have a level 50 area).

3. Opening up enemy worlds (adding shared faction daily areas here too)

4. Provide small amount of valor gains (like +20) for killing players in those daily quest areas, etc. Anything huge like ilum would encourage zerg / farming / trading.

5. Upon entering lvl 50 daily quest area in particular planet, automatically add optional bonus daily quest to your questlog: "Kill one player on this planet". Completing this would give small amount of credit, some legacy experience, and merc commendations (10?). Repeatable once per day, per planet.

6. I disagree with every kill granting merc comm because it may encourage zerg / farming / trading. If you want world pvp to give you merc commendation, refer to point #5.

All these would encourage players to participate in world pvp while doing their normal dailies to make credits, while killing any enemies they see. This would pretty much allow world pvp to happen in every planet, like all players wish for, and "improve world pvp"

This would also FIX faction imbalance problem that plagues world PvP. One planet has big imperial group going around killing everyone? Just move to another planet duh.

Any direct attempt bioware makes to 'add world pvp' (like ilum) to game will result in nothing but laggy zergfest like ilum, or overpopulated faction camping another. Therefore bioware should make these above changes instead of devoting money and resources trying to fix ilum.

yea except we dont want world pvp to be segragated to one planet (ilum)...

pvpers pay same amt of money as pve subscribers do man. its ridiculous to play on a pvp server and have only 1 planet u can pvp in.

the way we pvpers are discriminated / segregated against pve in lot of mmo nowadays makes me feel like being BLACK in 1960's

Edited by Mirialol

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They would have to make it so you only get credit from Level 50 players. I could just see the mess of camping just outside of a faction transit point on Tatooine and ganking level 20 players to complete the daily/weekly.

yes obviously only level 50

They would have to make it so you only get credit from Level 50 players. I could just see the mess of camping just outside of a faction transit point on Tatooine and ganking level 20 players to complete the daily/weekly.

They could make it that you don't get credit for killing players are grey to you.

^ Poster above didn't notice u already answered this.

Edited by Baalazar

I believe this fixes Ilum.

Its the best thought I've been able to put into it at least.

You're right you can't "implement" world PvP, but if you have the space for it, making it engage players in a fun and enjoyable fashion will make it occur, example being DAoC of course.

To make Ilum work, it has to engage the players and make it fun for them to be there. It also has to reward them consistently for their time there, which it does not do.

There is no way to 'implement' open world pvp.

It is up to individual players on the each server to decide whether to participate or not. Theres very little bioware can do besides adding more incentives to do world pvp

What bioware should really do about world pvp is:

1. To reduce ilum population. How? Change the PvP daily so that it reads: Kill 5 enemy player (lvl 50) on ANY planet. Right now, TOO MANY level 50's hang out in ilum, for world PvP on any other planets to happen!

2. Add cross faction pve daily quest area on EVERY planet (every planet should have a level 50 area).

3. Opening up enemy worlds (adding shared faction daily areas here too)

4. Provide pretty decent valor gains for killing players in those daily quest areas, etc.

5. Upon entering lvl 50 daily quest area in particular planet, automatically add optional bonus quest to your questlog: "Kill one player on this planet". Completing this would give small amount of credit and some legacy experience.

All these would encourage players to participate in world pvp while doing their normal dailies to make credits, while killing any enemies they see. This would pretty much allow world pvp to happen in every planet, like all players wish for, and "improve world pvp"

This would also FIX faction imbalance problem that plagues world PvP. One planet has big imperial group going around killing everyone? Just move to another planet duh.

Any direct attempt bioware makes to 'add world pvp' to game will result in nothing but laggy zergfest like ilum, or overpopulated faction camping another. Therefore bioware should make these above changes instead of devoting money and resources trying to fix ilum.

LOL

Have you played DAoC or WAR? Two games BW Austin devs have worked on in the past. The difference in world PvP quality between those games and TOR's is just mind boggling. Especially considering the budget and experience available to that studio now.

I suspect someone like you is in charge of TOR's PvP instead of someone who actually knows what they're doing.

I believe this fixes Ilum.

Its the best thought I've been able to put into it at least.

You're right you can't "implement" world PvP, but if you have the space for it, making it engage players in a fun and enjoyable fashion will make it occur, example being DAoC of course.

To make Ilum work, it has to engage the players and make it fun for them to be there. It also has to reward them consistently for their time there, which it does not do.

this thread has nothing to do with ilum...

i made this thread b/c me and a lot of players dont like the idea of all world pvp happening on one planet, i.e. ilum

also right now, only level 50 daily areas are in ilum and belsavis. making changes (daily on every planet) i proposed would make the end game more fun, even if you dont like pvp.

Edited by Mirialol

Anyone who supportsl world pvp in this game should post to keep this thread going.

This post doesn't stay on the first page by just looking at it.

There are some great suggestions here. I support changes that will engage more players and put them out into worlds rather than concentrating them on Ilum and in warzones. The element of randomness and surprise is part of what makes PvP exciting.

I like your ideas, mainly because I've been wanting something similar. You're right in a way. They can't really force open PvP or "implement" it, per se; not without a huge change to the game ala WAR. They can (and did), however, do the opposite. Instead of implementing or encouraging open PvP, they managed to discourage and ruin it by funnelling all of the level 50's into one place in order to complete the arbitrary quests to get new gear. Instead of having a mercenary token system like they originally were planning - in which tokens drop off of players killed anywhere in open world PvP - and implementing a valor gain system for ALL kills rather than just kills on Ilum, they force us into one place.

This is simply the worst way to encourage PvP. It's not a bad idea on a PvE server, but I didn't roll on a PvE server, and I'd imagine most people reading these forums didn't either. I had the occasional fight while levelling, but almost all of the planets were designed in such a way that there were only a few instances in which I could be confident I'd run into some Imperials to battle. Just like Ilum, every player is put on rails and tend to avoid each other through 90% of the Pre-50 content, and then at 50 they are again put on rails and told that they need to go to this one place if they want any kind of valor/gear gains.

The game is supposedly PvE centric, I get that. So why do they almost intentionally make Republic and Imperial players avoid each other while levelling? Put their quests near each other - always - from level 10 and on to level 50, so we can fight. If you're on a PvE server you won't care; you'll have to flag yourself if you want to fight. No harm done. If you're on a PvP server, you'll have something fun to do instead of having 6 (about the number I had) fights from level 10-50. If their end-game PvP is going to be PvE centric (because that's what Ilum is. It gives PvE players somewhere specific to go to experience PvP when they so choose), then at least do something to make the PvP servers different. You have a bunch of them. Why even bother putting them up if we're PvP'ing in the exact same manner as those on PvE servers?

I would be fine if there was no valor system, no PvP gear, no benefits to PvP at all. Even that would encourage more fighting and in different places than the current system. At least that way the people you'd find to battle would be people that simply enjoy PvP for the pleasure of it. Unfortunately, this is a new age MMO, and people want gear and PvP levels. That's fine. I have nothing against this need to have a visible progression, but when you make it so the only way to actually go through that progression is in a single instance or in warzones, open world PvP effectively dies. There are not enough players running around in random places doing other things to have any actual free PvP. They're all busy spinning in the gear grinder in one particular place that the developers chose.

They'd have to do a massive overhaul at this point to actually encourage open world PvP, so that's probably not an option. What they should do though is to find a way to discourage the sole use of Ilum as a battleground. Allow valor gains anywhere. Allow tokens to drop that you can buy bags with, even (gasp!) Battlemaster bags. Don't make everything contingent on these 4 quests that must be repeated in 3 warzones and on Ilum exclusively. It sucks. This is not fun PvP.

Edited by vindianajones

LOL

Have you played DAoC or WAR? Two games BW Austin devs have worked on in the past. The difference in world PvP quality between those games and TOR's is just mind boggling. Especially considering the budget and experience available to that studio now.

I suspect someone like you is in charge of TOR's PvP instead of someone who actually knows what they're doing.

I completely agree with you.

Easiest way to add world pvp

Remove all the fleet transports to all instances from the fleet, and instend place all instances on respectful plannets. Now people have to move to said instance to do them and VOILA = World pvp on pvp servers.

Remove the ability to find materials simply by sending your companion, whilst you AFK at the fleet. Force people to go out to the world and find it themselves, or atleast make it ALOT more attractive to do it manually.

100% Proven to work in World of Warcraft UNTIL Blizzard added flyingmounts. So Flyingmounts = No GO.

All World Of warcraft Vanilla veterans can agree that Black Rock Mountains was one of the most awesome zones to do world pvp in.

SPOILER ALERT

Number 1 Reason we dont have World PvP:

... Because we can do all the current ingame stuff by AFK'ing at the fleet.

Edited by Zlashie

I'd love to see commendations dropping from players of suitable level. I wonder why they abandoned that idea.

Seeing merc commendations drop off players of equivalent level would be a solid idea.

Dont' forget to rate the thread when you post :jawa_biggrin:

^ poster above me that is true having everything at a central location is taking away from both exploration and incenvtive to pvp on other worlds.

Edited by Baalazar

this thread has nothing to do with ilum...

i made this thread b/c me and a lot of players dont like the idea of all world pvp happening on one planet, i.e. ilum

also right now, only level 50 daily areas are in ilum and belsavis. making changes (daily on every planet) i proposed would make the end game more fun, even if you dont like pvp.

I focus on Ilum because Ilum is a good effective test bed for how to eventually engage open world PvP everywhere on PvP servers.

I play PvE server but I PvP constantly on it, mostly cause I knew from beta that the World PvP on PvP servers was going to be extremely limited at best.

Overall, if they fix Ilum, they have the foundational basis for implementing similar fixes into cross faction planets that promote better world PvP in general.

I focus on Ilum because Ilum is a good effective test bed for how to eventually engage open world PvP everywhere on PvP servers.

I play PvE server but I PvP constantly on it, mostly cause I knew from beta that the World PvP on PvP servers was going to be extremely limited at best.

Overall, if they fix Ilum, they have the foundational basis for implementing similar fixes into cross faction planets that promote better world PvP in general.

yea but having all world pvp on 1 planet results in large zergfest, faction population imbalance, etc :[

not to mention it gets boring after doing few weeks of it every day

but yea ilum can b fixed too

Edited by Mirialol

4. Provide pretty decent valor gains for killing players in those daily quest areas

This right here I completely and wholeheartedly disagree with. The reason that Ilum is such a sham is because the few people that would be PvPing are busy off in a corner kill trading with each other because it's easier than grinding the system through Warzones.

Valor gained from open world PvP is NINETY PERCENT OF THE PROBLEM WITH ILUM AS IT STANDS. There is a reason why WoW doesn't grant honor or valor for ganking someone in a 4v1 fight outside of Orgrimmar. Because people would exploit it and break the PvP system which is exactly what has occured with this game.

I don't support any system of world PvP that provides ANY reward to the players that is directly linked to competitive or instanced PvP, it's unneccessary and it leads to 90% of battlemasters being illegitimate traders.

As it is the Valor system is already broken beyond repair, granting valor for killing players on ANY world would just mean that kill traders don't have to go to Ilum for easy mode valor farming. No thank you.

yea but having all world pvp on 1 planet results in large zergfest, faction population imbalance, etc :[

not to mention it gets boring after doing few weeks of it every day

Agreed but World PvP wasn't a major development focus of this project, it was tacked on and rushed in as quickly as possible in the last year of development and its failures across the cross faction planets and Ilum itself, are blatant evidence of that.

So you have to start your fixing somewhere. Fix Ilum...then you have functional processes to move into cross faction planets and eventually World PvP gets better due to the focus.

This right here I completely and wholeheartedly disagree with. The reason that Ilum is such a sham is because the few people that would be PvPing are busy off in a corner kill trading with each other because it's easier than grinding the system through Warzones.

Valor gained from open world PvP is NINETY PERCENT OF THE PROBLEM WITH ILUM AS IT STANDS. There is a reason why WoW doesn't grant honor or valor for ganking someone in a 4v1 fight outside of Orgrimmar. Because people would exploit it and break the PvP system which is exactly what has occured with this game.

I don't support any system of world PvP that provides ANY reward to the players that is directly linked to competitive or instanced PvP, it's unneccessary and it leads to 90% of battlemasters being illegitimate traders.

As it is the Valor system is already broken beyond repair, granting valor for killing players on ANY world would just mean that kill traders don't have to go to Ilum for easy mode valor farming. No thank you.

yea problem with ilum is that it provides +20 valor per kill, BUT all the lame buffs from objective controlling etc etc inflates the gains from +80 to +200. Which is the reason why people zerg / farm.

world pvp in other areas would be much smaller scaled, and there would be no other objective points so +20 would be all they get. not significant (warzones give 1000+) but better than none.