Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why did the devs not implement randomized NPC appearances?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Why did the devs not implement randomized NPC appearances?

DannyInternets
01.10.2012 , 11:18 AM | #11
Murder and mayhem await.

ShadowMasterRP
01.10.2012 , 11:36 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Phoenixblight View Post
People already complain about lag and FPS issue.
That has nothing to do with content and everything to do with technical flaws, either in the game's technical coding or the players' systems.

You also have to create some generic animation model that would fit with each randmoized model.
Wrong.

There is no technical reason to not randomize unnamed NPC appearances.
Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength; through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory; through victory, my chains are broken.

Cameirus
01.10.2012 , 01:43 PM | #13
Its like they made an area, decided it looked dead and copy pasted the same NPC in a few times to fill it up.

If you want an example go roll a new jedi/consular in the very first bit after you leave the initial storey area, before the taxi, there are 6 yes 6 of the same NPC, two by each door and two in the middle.

<coppy pasted from a thread I made, as I did not know about this one, no search function>

ptwonline
01.10.2012 , 01:48 PM | #14
They mostly look the same because there are so few appearance options altogether, and many of the ones available do not create a significantly different appearance.

Yes there are many combos, but seeing an Imperial Officer with outlandish facial make-up and a mohawk would be a bit immersion-breaking. And so right off the top your options are severely cut down.

This is why I was so surprised by the limited character creator: we are going to spend so much time looking right at character/NPC faces due to conversation scenes that you would think that they would want a vast number of different facial and body options available.

ShadowMasterRP
01.10.2012 , 01:51 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by ptwonline View Post
They mostly look the same because there are so few appearance options altogether, and many of the ones available do not create a significantly different appearance.

Yes there are many combos, but seeing an Imperial Officer with outlandish facial make-up and a mohawk would be a bit immersion-breaking. And so right off the top your options are severely cut down.

This is why I was so surprised by the limited character creator: we are going to spend so much time looking right at character/NPC faces due to conversation scenes that you would think that they would want a vast number of different facial and body options available.
Randomized body types would already make a hell of a difference.

But no... they are all EXACTLY the same.
Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength; through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory; through victory, my chains are broken.

Phoenixblight
01.10.2012 , 01:54 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by ShadowMasterRP View Post
That has nothing to do with content and everything to do with technical flaws, either in the game's technical coding or the players' systems.

Wrong.

There is no technical reason to not randomize unnamed NPC appearances.
Please if it is so easy why do you think no developer even in single player games has not done this. Yeah...thought so.

Cameirus
01.10.2012 , 02:06 PM | #17
Please if it is so easy why do you think no developer even in single player games has not done this. Yeah...thought so.
I've never come across a game that uses clone NPCs to this extent. really Its quite shockingly bad.

Lascivious
01.10.2012 , 03:19 PM | #18
What!?!?! Don't take away the Village People cloned Jedi Guardians at the temple, it's so freaking cool to see a whole cloned army of mustached men protecting the vital areas.

I figure that at any minute they are about to break out in to a great round of YMCA every time I have to venture to these sacred grounds.... Ooohhh...they are the inspiration for the cloned army - all inspired by the great Village People Jedi Guardians at the Jedi Temple. Who knew...
This space reserved for moments of sanity!
Veteran of: UO, SWG, EQII, COH, LOTRO, STO & RIFT!

Zodnom
01.10.2012 , 03:32 PM | #19
I agree. It's really bad.

I just did some Nar Shadda quests. I'd walk down one hallway, and the only way to tell if this next batch of NPCs were hostile was to mouse over them.
Visually, they looked identical to the previous bunch of NPCs. They were standing around, not doing anything; certainly didn't look hostile. And guess what? Not only were they not hostile, mousing over them didn't reveal anything. They weren't even clickable NPCs. They were just there for decoration. Lame.
So I go around another corner. Looks just like the last hallway, NPCs look just the same, too. Mousing over these NPCs... Oh, these are hostile for some reason. No explanation on why this particular section of the hallway planet has hostile NPCs in it, but at least these are clickable.

This game spent every cent it had to pay for voiceovers, but didn't spend any time at all on level design. Sure, there's some pretty stuff sometimes, but most of the levels are so incredibly boring! None of this is what I expected from a Star Wars game... It's such a letdown from what this game could have been.

Zodnom
01.10.2012 , 03:35 PM | #20
lol

I've got a game on my phone that has NPCs with randomized appearances. Never know what the next one is going to look like.

It's not impossible to do, these guys just didn't do it.

Even if they didn't go with randomizing the NPCs appearance at spawn time, they could have added a lot more variety... But they didn't do that, either.
They either went cheap or had to rush the game out for Xmas. Either way, it's just one more sign of a completely unpolished game.