Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The Killing Of StarWars:TOR

lukesith
01.10.2012 , 11:24 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by RealAeiouy View Post
I agree with the replies above. You can't group with 50 people at a time so the sizes of planet pops do not inhibit gameplay at all in fact the help it.

I don't think people know how many people are regularly in areas in other games and have this idea of hundreds of people in a zone which is almost never the case.
Your completely right, but, planets are at like 25 per instance right now, that clearly isn't too many, but is obviously not enough for it to be an online MMO.
50 - Vanguard - Gabendo - The Bastion

Jswizzle
01.10.2012 , 11:24 PM | #12
Planets were designed mostly with single player progression in mind. Knowing 10 other people are doing the same quests as you quite frankly takes away from the experience.

I think they did the right thing making it how they did.

lukesith
01.10.2012 , 11:27 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Jswizzle View Post
Planets were designed mostly with single player progression in mind. Knowing 10 other people are doing the same quests as you quite frankly takes away from the experience.

Yes! But this isn't the case at all right now!
In fact, When I found someone with these populations I try and group with them so I'm not alone, as with others, you hardly ever compete with how this game was made.

Made to be an MMO, plays like a single player.
50 - Vanguard - Gabendo - The Bastion

failr
01.10.2012 , 11:27 PM | #14
Quote:
Bioware included instancing because they make single player games. As such, they made a single-player story, which is dependent upon the evolution of an area as you move along your journey. Of course, this raises problems when you introduce multiple players, who can be at any point along this progression.

As such, there are two solutions: phasing and instancing. Phasing would be like instancing, but with multiple people in the area. Say there are parts 1, 2 and 3 of a quest, where each part is a progression, say with different enemies and NPCs, or even different terrain. Everyone starts in phase 1 (part 1), and when they finish, they are moved to phase 2. They are in phase 2 with all the players who are on part 2 of the questline, but cannot see the people who are in phases 1 or 3. However, what do you do when someone moves out of the phased area? Who do they see? What about when they finish the quest? Do you put them back into phase 1, which would break immersion, and make the story of phase 2 and 3 completely pointless? And if you add in phases 2a, 2b, 2c, and 3aa, 3ab, etc. etc. for the branching storylines, which are such an important part of SWtOR? What do you do then?Maybe someone can come up with something, because I sure can't think of anything that wouldn't be overly complex.

Bioware went with instancing, and at this point I don't think they can completely write over instancing with phasing. But the instancing isn't necessarily a bad thing. Guild Wars did it fine, and if anything, the main hub areas in TOR are too big, making them feel a lot more empty than they really are.
Phasing would work just fine, its not like their dark side/light side options change anything in the end, you either kill the guy or you never see him again.

Instancing is obviously an easier approach to code, less bugs/performance issues, less time invested etc. So bioware probably decided to save some money on that.

Phasing would fit this game perfectly though, all those quests where you destroy a republic base and then come back to see everyone you killed still being there... yea.

failr
01.10.2012 , 11:29 PM | #15
Quote:

And they shouldn't there should be a reason to go back to those planets, this is an MMO. People need to see other people moving by going on with their business. Making the world feel alive. As it stands once you get through those planets all you r left with is illum and fleet at 50, which makes for a very small world to play an MMO in.

Puli
01.10.2012 , 11:37 PM | #16
The only real issue I've had with the instancing is when the population balance for a planet is way off. For example, some times when I am leveling on my Republic character there will be two instances of the planet, even though each instance will have only 20-30 people, while Empire will have closer to 100. There is really no way to fix this as far as instancing goes.

It does seem that the point where the game makes a second instance of a planet might be a bit low for some of the bigger ones.

Brorim
01.11.2012 , 12:08 AM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by lukesith View Post
Okay, before you people who correct grammar, question these repetitive posts hear me out.

I have been playing SW:TOR since the day it was released, had a great time playing it, have my level 44 vanguard, all in all it's a great game.

I have however, ignored the casual MMO glitches and such (lvl 50 on a level 2 planet PVPing, getting stuck between rocks) but none of these annoy me. I've had a really great time so far.

But, then the generic MMO style kicks in, SW:TOR is nothing different than any other MMO besides the "branch" design for communicating with NPC's. Even this fact doesn't bug me the most because I personally loved WoW and Rift (For the time I played them, a while back).

There are a few things dragging this games success down. This includes instancing, yes this is a heavily covered subject I know, but when you only see 30 people spread across the WHOLE planet it does not cut it. Also, I know it is school time, but the server populations are getting dangerously low, well since release. My server (Daragon Trail) used to be one of the most filled, now it is normally at low populations.

Some people will complain that there are no annoyances with this idea but it doesn't have that "MMO" feeling to it.

I'd have to say that BioWare did abuse instancing just a little bit, you would hopefully agree. Also since the server populations are low-er, I find it hard to do group quests and such unless I am with an organized group, like my guild.

People are acclaiming that almost 40k people play on every server at all averages, but I have to strongly disagree. They say that there is like 15 instances on the fleet, wrong, on average there is maybe 2.

No I am not on a super low population world before you guys pick-off what I'm saying in this thread. No you can't say "what's your question?". This is not a question, this is something I believe should be brought up more to the actual game developers.

I signed for one month but I'm thinking of quitting if the game isn't touched upon this at all soon.

NO ONE should be saying "go back to WoW you fanboy", that is just a troll move. Think of where I'm coming from, don't be stubborn like some are on other threads when they pick apart everything in the topic.

Leave thoughts below about this and please tell me something good for once, if you are just trying to prove me wrong you won't change my mind, so go post somewhere else.

-Gabendo
Does this mean you'll stop posting and that I can have your stuff ?=
"I Think Therefor I Am" ( Descartes )