Queue Ban Changes

ChrisSchmidt

• Dev Post

Hello again!

We have had various discussions around toxicity, especially as it related to PvP (previous thread here: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=985281). I wanted to let y’all know about an upcoming change that hopefully very few of you may experience.

Currently, the PvP lockout timer triggered by declining matches or leaving early in Ranked modes, and by being vote kicked in Unranked, prevents players from being able to queue for any PvP activity. This includes Ranked, Unranked and Galactic Starfighter modes.

One of the actions we may take on a player’s account due to violations of the Terms of Service is a seasonal queue ban. This prevents players from being able to queue for Ranked PvP modes for at least the current season.

We are updating this type of queue ban to mirror that of the lockout timer: Players actioned with a queue ban will now be unable to queue for any PvP activity, including Ranked, Unranked, and Galactic Starfighter. This change will be live in game update 6.2.1.

Finally, I wanted to offer thanks to all of you as we continue to find ways to decrease toxicity.

-Chris

Ranked pvp unintentially encourages toxicity, the stakes are much higher since the queues don't pop as often and the game is a lot more reliant on your other team mates to do well then any other of the pvp modes. The way the game mode is designed also encourages toxicity since if you die you can potentially be waiting a long time between matches and with nothing else to do other than alt tabbing, people will instead use this time to be toxic to their team mates.

Also having a ranked and unranked queue fragments the player base.

Edited by hollowdrum

So let me get this straight. The people who are currently queue banned from ranked will now be queue banned from all pvp or is this something being enforced from the people who are banned from this point and on?

Also you people should look at yourselves for creating the lion share of toxicity in pvp. Alot of these new pvp rules and changes with this deserters non sense is creating a whole new level of toxicity I never have seen prior to it. You really should think things thru a little better before implementing things like that.

Honestly I liked it alot better when people would leave and be backfilled by different players rather than get stuck playing with a player or in most cases players who don't want to play because they are bitter they cant leave.

The effort put into this is counter productive and has already lead to people I know leaving the game. You went one step forward, but then two steps back.

Also having a ranked and unranked queue fragments the player base.

I have been saying this for years. If ALL pvp was rated the same exact way as ranked is this whole entire issue would be gone and ALSO would make pvp so much more exciting and competitive instantly. And use the group and solo aspect as if you are grouped will queued with one or more people it applies towards gruop rating. If you queue by yourself it applies towards solo rating.

Ranked pvp in its current state and the way it has been for years is going to encourage the elite attitudes and constant toxic remarks. It is worse now than ever. Make ranked mainstream and it all disappears. Keep it segregated like it is now and nothing changes. If fact it is more toxic now then I have ever seen it.

I have been saying this for years. If ALL pvp was rated the same exact way as ranked is this whole entire issue would be gone and ALSO would make pvp so much more exciting and competitive instantly.

If "all pvp was rated the exact way as ranked is", I'd never queue for pvp again.

Unranked PvP is not rated. By definition. If it was rated the same way as Ranked PvP, then there would be no Unranked PvP. "If all PvP were rated the same..." seems to demonstrate a problem in understanding the definition of words "ranked" and "unranked."

Edited by mike_carton

and the game is a lot more reliant on your other team mates to do well then any other of the pvp modes.

Not exactly. After all, 4v4 unranked Arenas work the same way as 4v4 ranked Arenas.

The key difference is that in Ranked (no matter the format), the consequences of losing a match *matter*, in a way they don't (much) in unranked or GSF. It's not just that you spent time playing the match for no advancement of your daily/weekly mission counter, but also that you lose ELO rating.

So, for a person like me who plays the game for pvp and pvp only if u do get this ranked banned u basically have to quit the game for a season? if this applys to all pvp modes. Also would like some more specific rules to this harsh ban for being "toxic" because I feel that give the swtor team to much power in these kinda problems. So what I get is for what u to determine is toxic I basically cant play the game. seems like ur kinda making the pvp group of ppl smaller for sake of protecting ppl that are snowflake's and cant take some trash talk

There are a lot of people that only play pvp , i like most people pvp once in awhile , i do not find it fun due to the toxic nature of most pvpers , and the un-random random 4v4 matches ... for these reasons I like most people wish you would remove pvp from pve servers . Keep the pvp instances i guess for the achievements per planet , but remove the wz's completely , this will also take a ton of toxic people away from fleet gen chat

Finally, I wanted to offer thanks to all of you as we continue to find ways to decrease toxicity.

You're looking for ways to decrease toxicity in PVP?

• Don't lure in players with no interest in PVP by rewarding stuff that is highly coveted by progression raiders.
    Them standing AFK in a corner was the reason for all the other changes that actually increased toxicity.
  • Don't reward only winning. To reduce toxicity, make losing irksome instead of a complete waste of time.
  • Remove the lockout for leaving. If they want to leave, let them go. Leaving may be passive-aggressive, but that's not toxicity, quite on the contrary. When they are forced to stay, the namecalling begins.
  • Don't lock out the votekicked player. You don't know whether they were trolling or just came undergeared and with the wrong class. When it was the later, you are making the kicker's toxicity even worse, even though it was your job to make sure everyone is competitive regardless of class or item rating. Instead have a look at the votekickers, if they kick someone again within the next few matches, the troll is more likely to be the kicker than the kickee, so apply the lockout timer to them.

Edited by Mubrak

I don't get it, you introduced legacy ignore. If someone is saying something you don't like ignore them if enough people do it they will not get a pop due to MM. Seems redundant to me.

Ignore doesn’t work like that in pvp and never has. It’s not like the flash point queue that won’t put you with people on your ignore list.

Basically, ignore in pvp only prevents you from seeing what that person says. It doesn’t stop you being put on teams with or against them.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

Would be effective if the people committing offenses were actually Q locked.

Totally agree, devs take 0 actions normally, so whats the point? You need to wait like a year for a single action, thats way too slow. If devs were acting faster, would be better. Im going to use a flyhacker as an example. We reported him for about one and a half year, with videos, screenshots, and lot of proofs of violations of term of service. The action was too slow. Id like to say that the response times has been changing, but I can say that in my experience is not. Still way too slow.

You guys removed vote kick, which is fine in my opinion, was largely abused, but if you remove it you need to be present, paying attention way faster to the reports. Otherwise we go from one extreme side (abuse) to the other (no actions from devs, which means screwing the season to the rest of us).

Am I the only one that thinks this is a really great idea? To my understanding, ranked pvp is marred by a few highly toxic players the ruin the experience for everyone else. If you've ever glanced pvp chat on fleet, you might have seen some of these players. I've heard of players getting doxed, ddosed, having their workplaces called, and other violations from their involvement in ranked. I once saw a player post an irl photo of another player in pvp chat and harass them because of their appearance.

This change is a great way to remove the most toxic players from the game without always having to resort to a full ban. As long as the devs exercise caution in their usage of this feature, I think this would be a great implementation.

So, for a person like me who plays the game for pvp and pvp only if u do get this ranked banned u basically have to quit the game for a season? if this applys to all pvp modes. Also would like some more specific rules to this harsh ban for being "toxic" because I feel that give the swtor team to much power in these kinda problems. So what I get is for what u to determine is toxic I basically cant play the game. seems like ur kinda making the pvp group of ppl smaller for sake of protecting ppl that are snowflake's and cant take some trash talk

Judging by the tone of your post, BioWare is perfectly right doing what they're doing. No one in the game needs your "trash talk" and thats exactly what people mean by talking about "toxic behaviour".

In my experience people who call other's "snowflake" because they don't want to mess with "trash talk" (and by trash talk I mean constantly getting insulted, emote spamed and harrassed) are exactly the type of people who used to be toxic af. So if you got a ban because you couldn't stay calm and relax then you probably deserved it. :rak_03:

Edited by Jesseriah

See this is the exact issue why I believe ALL pvp should have rating identical to current ranked and completely eliminate ranked pvp.

Every game I played I tried to win, never gave up or stuck a round. The idea that a player must maintain a good rating to be able to participate in ranked is terrible and only adds to the fire of toxicity.

This elite toxic attitude should have been stopped by removing ranked many years ago.

The toxic behavior is absolutely out of control. It has been for a long time and this season with the recent changes has escalated the toxic levels higher than I have ever seen them.

I really wish the development team would consider making ALL pvp have the ranking system attached to it. It has zero effect on the people who do not care about rating.

It does not take anything away from them but it continues to give rating to the players who are more competitive. The current system is going from bad to worse.

In closing just abolish ranked queue and just add rating to the standard pvp queue. It might not make some people happy but it sure would eliminate a rotten toxic element of this game. Something that should have been removed years ago.

This new queue ban will fail to lower toxicity. All it will do it fuel more angry players to figure out different ways to be toxic.

Just remove ranked. There are many ways to accomplish rating without the use of the current system.

QFE x 2000 , excellent post & points imo

I've been saying---pleading---for the same merge of Ranked/Un-ranked into one for years too ... As well as offering & asking about potentially more enjoyable alternatives---> http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=9850243#post9850243 to gain & augment ranked points, thereby reducing the toxicity and de-incentivizing the exploits in warzones.

It's not like Ranked players don't already crossover into un-ranked ( to prey upon the "weak" and practice their umm "methods" ) already anyways. :rolleyes: ... So really, what difference would it make at this point to just combine all warzones into one giant leaderboard?

The gamer cream will always rise to the PVP top regardless, no?

Unfortunately, it's highly doubtful the status-quo of "Seasons of insanity" will ever change anytime soon between now & 2022 (when EA's contract runs out) , since BioWare is clearly dug-in now and merely (albeit admirably) placing band-aids upon broken systems.

Edited by Nee-Elder

QFE x 2000 , excellent post & points imo

I've been saying---pleading---for the same merge of Ranked/Un-ranked into one for years too ... As well as offering & asking about potentially more enjoyable alternatives---> http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=9850243#post9850243 to gain & augment ranked points, thereby reducing the toxicity and de-incentivizing the exploits in warzones.

It's not like Ranked players don't already crossover into un-ranked ( to prey upon the "weak" and practice their umm "methods" ) already anyways. :rolleyes: ... So really, what difference would it make at this point to just combine all warzones into one giant leaderboard?

The gamer cream will always rise to the PVP top regardless, no?

Unfortunately, it's highly doubtful the status-quo of "Seasons of insanity" will ever change anytime soon between now & 2022 (when EA's contract runs out) , since BioWare is clearly dug-in now and merely (albeit admirably) placing band-aids upon broken systems.

This insanity will be over soon anyhow. Cant wait to finally leave this game. https://www.starwars.com/news/lucasfilm-games-interview

This game sounds amazing and unlike WoW, it sounds more what this game should have been. The storyline plus open world like SWG was. Finally we get a complete game. Byebye SWTOR forever.

This insanity will be over soon anyhow. Cant wait to finally leave this game. https://www.starwars.com/news/lucasfilm-games-interview

This game sounds amazing and unlike WoW, it sounds more what this game should have been. The storyline plus open world like SWG was. Finally we get a complete game. Byebye SWTOR forever.

You do realise that isn’t a game that will have pvp.

Plus game development isn’t like 1 year or even 2. It will be a number of years before a new game is ready for release. Minimum 3 years, but average is likely 4-5 years of actual development. If they are only just doing that now, it’s a good 3-5 years away or longer.

Statements to the contrary have been made. Depends on who you believe. Just watching trends in players' ranked history leads me to conclude that matchmaking is as important as skill.

Partly true. If you are the top of the top, you can carry in some situations, so you will rise to a certain lvl. But matchmaking is definitely an influencer in how high you can rise and how fast or how long it takes.

Part of the issue is there aren’t enough players at all ELO rankings. So low guys are often put with high guys to carry them.

You also have matchmaking that doesn’t take into account class stacking and as an example, it can put 4 operatives on one team vs all non stealth.

You have matches that don’t always fill because someone declines or you have a back fill that unbalances the match.

Truely, if Bioware wanted to make the system fair, the games would end with no increase or lose in ELO if a back fill is needed. People would requeue for the next match.

It also shouldn’t start matches, ranked or other wise with teams that have less players than the other side. A match should not start if it’s 2v4 or 3v4 or 6v8.

The start timers could just pause like they do in a count down for a rocket launch. Once the sides are balanced, the count down continues.

If someone left once it’s started, the game could have 15 seconds to back fill of it ends and everyone requeues. This is where a deserter lockout out makes sense because it discourages people from quitting after the match starts.

But you wouldn’t need it before the match starts, which would allow people to leave with no penalty if they don’t like the map (I know it’s not a perfect solution).

Also, once a game starts, back fills should be locked if both teams have the same number of players. You could still have situations where there are 3v3 or 6v6 if there aren’t enough people to fill up full teams before the game timer pause has to restart (it couldn’t pause forever).

This would stop situations where you have 3v3 arena and you win a round, but then the other team gets a back fill and you don’t. Which means the next round is 3v4 and probably a loss.

I’m all for a “big stick” approach by the devs to stop cheating or people exploiting the system. But it makes no sense the big stick policies drive every day players from the game when there are so many unfair situations that Bioware have created in the game and refuse to address or fix them. It’s like they punish the players more and more for the crappy system they made instead of fixing the game first.

Bioware, please fix the game before punishing players more with lockouts and other disincentive policies.

Literally everyone that has played on SF this season has seen it.

Sad but true. I don’t know any ranked guys on SF who haven’t been affected by this guy at least once this season because he queues prolifically too. Then he throws for what ever reason.

Part of me thinks its just him protesting at this point to see how long it will take Bioware to ban him. I have a sneaking suspicion he has multiple accounts.

Hello again!

We have had various discussions around toxicity, especially as it related to PvP (previous thread here: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=985281). I wanted to let y’all know about an upcoming change that hopefully very few of you may experience.

Currently, the PvP lockout timer triggered by declining matches or leaving early in Ranked modes, and by being vote kicked in Unranked, prevents players from being able to queue for any PvP activity. This includes Ranked, Unranked and Galactic Starfighter modes.

One of the actions we may take on a player’s account due to violations of the Terms of Service is a seasonal queue ban. This prevents players from being able to queue for Ranked PvP modes for at least the current season.

We are updating this type of queue ban to mirror that of the lockout timer: Players actioned with a queue ban will now be unable to queue for any PvP activity, including Ranked, Unranked, and Galactic Starfighter. This change will be live in game update 6.2.1.

-Chris

few weeks ago you were asked about unfair bans and you involved in it yet you said you personally have nothing to do with banns/blocks in swtor - https://i.imgur.com/PS7QRGu.png

Yet now you write us this message about queue ban changes and further block expansion....

Looks like information about unfair blocks and bans in swtor is true after all....maybe give us true information, huh ?

agreed. Swtor has fallen down and all aspects of the game (pvp,pve, rp and group content especially) are nearly dead or in a bad condition. This game is barely kicking and they keep it alive only because of reputation losses EA and BW will face if they actually will close it and confirm that they screwed up.