Renown Feels Broken

vemerce

Okay, so I've had a little bit of experience with Renown now. These are just my thoughts and opinions, and I welcome others to weigh in.

1.) It feels like it takes too long to earn a Renown rank. I liked the intent of the Galactic Command system, where you were supposed to earn 1 rank every hour or so of game play. I feel like it takes me 3-4 hours of steady game play to get 1 Renown rank.

For example, I hit level 75 on Makeb. I've since done all of the Shadow of Revan content, including the pre-quest and all of the flashpoints. I did Rishi, Yavin IV, and then I did the whole Ziost story and Oricon. Then I started Knights of the Fallen Empire. I'm currently on Chapter 14 of 16. I also do every bonus quest offered... I'm at Renown Rank 7. That seems painfully slow. (I'm also a Subscriber and always have been. I can't imagine how slow this must be for Preferred players.)

2.) The "loot" coming out of Renown boxes feels entirely lackluster and frankly it sucks most of the time. I've only gotten upgrades 3 out of my 7 boxes so far. The box usually contains a mod of some kind that warrants being disintegrated for more Renown XP, and most of the time a piece of gear that is 274 like almost everything else I'm wearing... Sometimes it's the exact same item I have equipped already.

I get how the new system works and that items are based on the average level of the items you have equipped, but I don't think it's nearly as rewarding as the intent was. In my opinion, with as long as it takes to get a single crate, there should be something worthwhile in there.

------

My suggestion to improve the Renown system is EITHER...

Reduce the amount of XP needed for every Renown rank. (Especially if you're wanting people to grind a bunch of ranks on multiple characters.) I'd say drop it from 160,000 to 125,000 or so.

OR

Change the loot system to always award a piece of gear from your slots that have the lowest item levels, and if all of your gear is the same item level, then give a random piece that is a higher item level. It really sucks that 4 of my 7 Renown boxes have been duplicate 274 items when I still have 270 items in some slots.

------

So my thoughts are either give me boxes more often, so I can get quality stuff more often, or keep them rarer and give me decent stuff every time I get one. I know this is still a new system... But my honest opinion is that it feels broken, and Galactic Command felt more rewarding (at first) than this does.

Tbh...

Renown system in it's current state makes no sense.

It is better to remove it from the game completely for good.

I agree, it does seem rather pointless atm. The pvp packs and the HS grind seem to provide much better results vs the renown crates. Because the renown crate acquisition is so time consuming....it would seem the rewards should be greater.

Tbh...

Even if it makes no sense and other ways are better to gear up: Its still like a "bonus" if u do other content and get a Renown level.

So I would not remove it from the game, rework yea but not remove.

I said it before and I'll say it again.

You are confusing Renown with Galactic Command. Yes it has the same interface and the same mechanic, but it is not the same thing. You absolutely not supposed to rely on it for anything. Think of it as a bonus source of gear to deconstruct, if you want. Nothing more. And a free lottery which may occasionally give you a set piece or tactical.

So it's not broken. Working as intended. Was ait a really ****** idea of Bioware to make it this way? You bet! But it works exactly as they wanted.

Edited by Gelious

1.) It feels like it takes too long to earn a Renown rank. I liked the intent of the Galactic Command system, where you were supposed to earn 1 rank every hour or so of game play. I feel like it takes me 3-4 hours of steady game play to get 1 Renown rank.

Absolutely agreed with this. The time it takes to advance a Renown rank is way too long. I used to be able to advance a rank or three, four when doing 1 daily area for example, but now that's not even enough to advance 1 rank. They really need to cut the amount of Renown points you need to advance a rank or increase the amount of Renown points you gain, because now it feels like an overly prolonged process that drains away the enjoyment of advancing the ranks.

Edited by Ylliarus

Whew, okay, glad to see I'm not alone.

I like the idea of having an alternate advancement system in the form of another XP bar that keeps moving... And I like each rank requiring the same amount of XP... But, yeah, either they need to improve the rewards greatly or dramatically reduce the amount of XP required for a level. One or the other would be good, but both would be great.

Another suggestion would be that when you earn a Renown rank, they could let you pick what slot you'd like your reward to be for. That would be cool.

I honestly feel that Galactic Command was executed better than Renown thus far.

But honestly, if they're aiming for an "infinite" XP bar... I'd rather see them integrate that into the Legacy XP system. Make Renown Legacy wide. All of the gear is Bind to Legacy anyway.

Edited by vemerce

Seems to me the Renown system is fine but you feel that you don't get enough Renown points for doing story content at level 75. So that means they simply need to increase the renown points for doing story missions. When you do FPs and Ops and such, it's perfectly fine. Reducing the xp needed for it would create an overkill situation there.

So no, it needs to be a solution based around the rewarding of story content, not on an overall level.

Feels like an afterthought.

So does everything since the Class Stories ended to be honest.

Second rate story-telling, third-rate game development, fourth-rate project leadership.

We have the author of the worst Class Story being a lead story developer.

We have a game development team that break more things than they fix almost every patch.

We have a Lead Producer brought in to replace Ben Irving who promised to more communicative, and is actually far less communicative than Ben ever was, and almost weekly makes Ben Irving look more and more competent.

Does anyone really still think Bioware or EA see this game as anything more than a joke?

All The Best

Seems to me the Renown system is fine but you feel that you don't get enough Renown points for doing story content at level 75. So that means they simply need to increase the renown points for doing story missions. When you do FPs and Ops and such, it's perfectly fine. Reducing the xp needed for it would create an overkill situation there.

So no, it needs to be a solution based around the rewarding of story content, not on an overall level.

Doesn't need to be story content alone, just getting more Renown points for doing dailies would already go along with here. Because as I said, I remember doing the dailies every week when Galactic Command was still a thing and I'd advance several GC ranks when completing 1 dailies area, like Corellia for example. Now that no longer suffices to advance even one level, in my experience.

Renown is working just fine so long as you ignore that you ae not getting any bonus from your Renown boosts. That you do not notice you are not getting the renown it is saying that you are going to get.

I had earned 126k renown and got 40k My bar was half full and earning that much was over the 80k needed to get a crate and it only moved to 3/4 of a bar and no crate.

The Renown system is broken as far as how many points you get but at least it is not as completely broken as

PVP is.

With the PVP crate I got a 292 296 298 on a toon that was at 306. Upgrade nope even close to what I was nope. Completely broken yup!

Again and again RNG will disappoint you over and over again. I did say again right?

Be glade it is only one way to get gear and not the primary way. Then again the primary way and fastest is supposed to be the new FP and new Operation. new FP barely gives you anything more that one boss in an older FP Have not done Dxun yet, but I have heard it is fairing no better.

I will stick with the best way being Stealth Red Reaper until they nerf bat FPs. Speaking of RR I need to fill my Tech back up and my bank tab.

you are not getting any bonus from your Renown boosts.

So the Superior Renown Boosts don't work? Has this been confirmed? Doesn't really matter much since Renown rank is pretty useless but I would still like to know. Clicking on an icon that does nothing but placate - like a door close button in an elevator - is a waste of energy.

Okay, so I've had a little bit of experience with Renown now. These are just my thoughts and opinions, and I welcome others to weigh in.

For example, I hit level 75 on Makeb. I've since done all of the Shadow of Revan content, including the pre-quest and all of the flashpoints. I did Rishi, Yavin IV, and then I did the whole Ziost story and Oricon. Then I started Knights of the Fallen Empire. I'm currently on Chapter 14 of 16. I also do every bonus quest offered... I'm at Renown Rank 7. That seems painfully slow. (I'm also a Subscriber and always have been. I can't imagine how slow this must be for Preferred players.)

2.) The "loot" coming out of Renown boxes feels entirely lackluster and frankly it sucks most of the time. I've only gotten upgrades 3 out of my 7 boxes so far. The box usually contains a mod of some kind that warrants being disintegrated for more Renown XP, and most of the time a piece of gear that is 274 like almost everything else I'm wearing... Sometimes it's the exact same item I have equipped already.

I get how the new system works and that items are based on the average level of the items you have equipped, but I don't think it's nearly as rewarding as the intent was. In my opinion, with as long as it takes to get a single crate, there should be something worthwhile in there.

------

My suggestion to improve the Renown system is EITHER...

Reduce the amount of XP needed for every Renown rank. (Especially if you're wanting people to grind a bunch of ranks on multiple characters.) I'd say drop it from 160,000 to 125,000 or so.

OR

Change the loot system to always award a piece of gear from your slots that have the lowest item levels, and if all of your gear is the same item level, then give a random piece that is a higher item level. It really sucks that 4 of my 7 Renown boxes have been duplicate 274 items when I still have 270 items in some slots.

------

So my thoughts are either give me boxes more often, so I can get quality stuff more often, or keep them rarer and give me decent stuff every time I get one. I know this is still a new system... But my honest opinion is that it feels broken, and Galactic Command felt more rewarding (at first) than this does.

So first, I didn’t read all comments but if your not claiming every piece of gear to get tech fragments out of your doing it wrong. Renown is a bonus to get tech fragments and should be used that way.

Tbh...

I agree. Command crates gave you better gear at each rank. The crap I'm getting in Reknown is garbage. it's a rehash of the stuff you get as you go through Onderon and Mek-Sha. While Onderon and Mek-Sha have interesting story lines, the weekly/dailes on Onderon can't be completed in one day as one of the mission is broken. And the only thing to do on Mek-sha after story is a heroic mission that requires at least two.

Beautiful graphics on Onderon and Mek-Sha, okay storyline but very glitchy. And the Reknown stuff is definitely not worth the grind.

and Bioware EA completely killed crafting.

I agree. Command crates gave you better gear at each rank. The crap I'm getting in Reknown is garbage. it's a rehash of the stuff you get as you go through Onderon and Mek-Sha. While Onderon and Mek-Sha have interesting story lines, the weekly/dailes on Onderon can't be completed in one day as one of the mission is broken. And the only thing to do on Mek-sha after story is a heroic mission that requires at least two.

Beautiful graphics on Onderon and Mek-Sha, okay storyline but very glitchy. And the Reknown stuff is definitely not worth the grind.

and Bioware EA completely killed crafting.

It’s odd that they killed crafting, yet people are making 100’s of millions off crafting right. Not bad for something dead.

What I really miss from Renown crates is the low level cosmetic gear: custom armour and weapons for lvl 1 and 10 that I was happily using on my characters (of which I have plenty). It was really cool getting some nice looking gear from GTN for a change, especially since I am not a big fan of new CM weapons.

Right now, Renown offers just some free Jawa junk.

Not exactly. I wouldn't have a problem with the Renown system if it felt like I was getting rewards I could actually use after the time spent to get a box. I just hit Renown Rank 8 and now 5 out of 8 times I've gotten utter garbage. My average gear rank now is 274 and I just got a pair of 270 green gloves... I'm wearing 278 blue gloves in that slot.

Oh, and Renown Rank 8 was also the first time I didn't get a mod as well... All I got was the useless 270 gloves. And it took me about 3 hours to go from Rank 7 to Rank 8 Renown... So in terms of actual Renown, that was a waste of 3 hours. (Granted, I would have been doing it anyway because I feel like I have to "catch up" in the story, but I don't think it's a great to design to make 3 hour chunks of "grinding" feel so underwhelming.)

Also, I read all of the replies on this thread... This thread isn't about the story telling, the crafting, or the PvP in the game. Please start a thread yourself if you're bitter and want to complain about those things. The topic I started this thread to discuss is the Renown system specifically... I don't care what else is "more broken" in the game.

Edited by vemerce

I agree.

They could at least throw the companion gifts back in there so it's not a complete waste. I hardly ever get 306 gear from it as well, so effectively it is about 5 tech fragments for a box if i'm lucky. Not very impressive.

For a complementary system that is supposed to be directly linked to the sub, it's not complementing much of anything. It needs a buff.

Edited by Nemmar

They also need to throw in those nice armor sets and weapons in a lot more again. The prices for some of those pieces have skyrocketed on the GTN, for example.

On Darth Malgus, the Executioner's Lightsaber always went for 80.000 credits or so, sometimes a bit more but never too much. The last time I checked however - which was yesterday - those Lightsabers went for 1.345.000 credits each. The same applies to the Praetorian's Lightsaber. The armor sets like the Savage Despot also always had pages and pages of item listings, and last time I looked for it there was only 1 page with only the chest piece and lower robes, nothing else.