Playable and Companion species suggestion checklist thread

Vitas

It would be nice to have ithorians… as they are very alien. I really want to play as an ithorian Bounty hunter or sith but they are pacifist species so they wouldn't be sith… unfortunately. Would also like to see chagrian and Togruta.

A majority of Ithroians were pacifists but there some were known to become Bounty Hunters, Smugglers and Jedis. Your character could be perceived as an outcast of the species.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure it might've been said, or no one cares to hear, I just wanted to point one thing out.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Wookiee

"George Lucas has decreed that there can be no more Wookiee Jedi in the Expanded Universe."

Behind the Scenes section, first line of paragraph three. And BioWare is sort of trying to not break canon, and has stated a stance against wookiees in the past as a playable race.

On that note, I would kill to have Togruta and Nautolans.

I'm sure it might've been said, or no one cares to hear, I just wanted to point one thing out.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Wookiee

"George Lucas has decreed that there can be no more Wookiee Jedi in the Expanded Universe."

Behind the Scenes section, first line of paragraph three. And BioWare is sort of trying to not break canon, and has stated a stance against wookiees in the past as a playable race.

On that note, I would kill to have Togruta and Nautolans.

Yes I'm not sure you read the whole section, particularly the bottom half:

"George Lucas has decreed that there can be no more Wookiee Jedi in the Expanded Universe.[17][18] Notably, Obsidian Entertainment was forbidden to make Hanharr a Dark Jedi because of this restriction. Kirlocca, Lowbacca, and Tyvokka are the only existing Wookiee Jedi characters (though an unnamed Wookiee in Edge of Victory: Conquest appears to be an unknown Jedi student rather than Lowbacca), as they were developed before this policy was enacted. The Dawn of the Jedi series which was published years after the policy was enacted introduced the Wookiee Je'daii Ruhr. Whether this decree is still in place remains to be unknown."

I believe BioWare has yet to ask them. Not to mention if a Wookiee option was available for any class, it would be entirely non-canon.

• 4 weeks later...

So far, it seems BioWare's strongest argument against making less-humanoid species playable (specifically, those that already exist ingame as NPC's/Companions) is the average player's inability to "identify" with these species.

This is garbage.

I'll put it simply. If players can not identify with these species, why do they continue to request them?

The vastness of the Star Wars universe is one of its greatest appealing factors, yet I feel like I'm restricted to a tiny little humanoid corner of it. This feeling of being walled in is stifling, uncomfortable, and puts a big old damper on immersion. It goes against one of the most basic principles of the MMO--the player's ability to be and do anything they choose, within the realm of that creative reality.

One quote that was referenced earlier talked about how non-humanoid species wouldn't fit the class stories because all the side characters would have to be altered. Supposedly, they'd need to react to the player being "the weirdest thing in the room." Also garbage. This is Star Wars--the idea that the story NPCs have no idea how to interact with aliens is patently absurd. It's no different than people of different cultures relating to one another, which we do today on a global scale.

Other excuses have been given, and they're equally invalid. Don't want companions smooching up blobs? Easy fix--a tooltip at character creation tells the player there is [currently] no romance arc for that species. Those who wish to play a nonhumanoid (Ithorian, Bothan, etc.) won't miss it, especially if they've already pursued these romances on other characters...they'll be overjoyed just getting to play as their chosen species.

Worried about voiceovers for non-basic-speaking species? Again, the players that choose them won't fuss about it--many have posted saying they'd be perfectly happy with subtitles, as long as they got their [insert species here].

The hypocrisy of the developers' philosophy is what gets me. Legacy unlocks now allow a player to roll through the Jedi Consular story as a Sith Pureblood. BioWare enables these obscure crossovers, yet feels strangely comfortable citing story-related issues when I wonder why I can't have a Trandoshan bounty hunter. In my humble opinion, this illogical double standard is nothing short of laughable.

The ugly truth is that they did the same thing with species as they did with the endlessly, tiresomely reskinned gear. Whether it was due to insufficient resource allocation, a lack of vision, or just simple laziness, they tried to get a lot more mileage out of their artwork than it could ultimately provide.

The problem is that we noticed. Why all the hullabaloo, you ask? Because at our core, we want to feel unique. We want to be treated as individual players, not a faceless playerbase. In a story-driven MMO, we want our choices to have some sense of meaning. And for many of us, having a choice between nine shades of Human just doesn't feel like much of a choice at all.

I love the tales you tell, BioWare...just let us choose the shoes we walk them in.

Edited by DasDesertFox

• 4 weeks later...
An excellent list sir. I noted that you were unsure about some of the class options because you were unsure of their culture, etc. Might I suggest the Ultimate Alien Anthology book made for the D20 Star Wars Roleplaying game, as it has a multitude of species and a basic overview of their culture and out look. It may be of some assistance.

I love the tales you tell, BioWare...just let us choose the shoes we walk them in.

I agreed with the entire post but thought the last part summed it up nicely. I have said it multiple time on multiple threads but I want to see more species come in. Alien species like Kel'dor, Gran, Trandoshan, Mon Cal etc.

Great list indeed. What's going on Bioware?? We want to play species other than ones that look almost human..what gives?? Soooo many things that could make this game much more popular, and yes much more money and yet they leave us with nothing.

This is a pretty wild guess but looking in the Star Wars: The Old Republic Encyclopedia, the way the species section is presented, after Cathar the next few playable species could be, in no particular order: Togruta, Chagrian, Devaronian, Advozse, Mon Calamari and Kaleesh.

What kind of annoys me with Cathar is I remember reading that it would be a Legacy species. If this means what I think it means, then Cathar would only be accessible after reaching a certain level. To me, this would be pretty frustrating especially to the people who wants to play as their favourite species from the start only having to play as one they don't want just to obtain another. I would understand if like the rest of the current selection it was available from the start but only to a couple of classes and then unlockable to the rest via the Legacy system. I guess we'll have to wait until either 1.7 or 1.8 gets closer to know the exact details on how they'll handle them.

Edited by Vitas

I like the list though I can see obvious problems with some of the races though you have put up reasons for them but anyway. Mostly jumping on the bandwagon for Zeltron. I honestly feel like they should have been there to start with since they are entirely human reskins and would have fit perfect as the trooper/smuggler unique race*jedi got miraluka, sith got pureblood, agent/hunters got Chiss. Smuggler and Trooper got nothing as a unique to just them* They even could just be given a unique dance for a emote or blowing a kiss. *that and I was more intrested in playing them then I ever was or liably will be playing Mirialan but thats me.*

A jedi hutt would be fun to play as. Seriously though, I would be completely surprised, not to mention disapointed, if the Echani race are not implemented in the future. They played a key role in KOTOR 2, the supposed foundation of this game. I can totally see them being a melee oriented class using their fists, feet, and vibroweapons while wearing light armor with high evasion rates. I personally wouldnt play as one, but it would be nice to see them running around. I would have prefered that they be included as a female Echani companion, the spiritual successor of Briana if you will, to one of the jedi classes. Sadly, that never happened.

This is a pretty wild guess but looking in the Star Wars: The Old Republic Encyclopedia, the way the species section is presented, after Cathar the next few playable species could be, in no particular order: Togruta, Chagrian, Devaronian, Advozse, Mon Calamari and Kaleesh.

What kind of annoys me with Cathar is I remember reading that it would be a Legacy species. If this means what I think it means, then Cathar would only be accessible after reaching a certain level. To me, this would be pretty frustrating especially to the people who wants to play as their favourite species from the start only having to play as one they don't want just to obtain another. I would understand if like the rest of the current selection it was available from the start but only to a couple of classes and then unlockable to the rest via the Legacy system. I guess we'll have to wait until either 1.7 or 1.8 gets closer to know the exact details on how they'll handle them.

Well, now with the free to play stuff in place, you could probably get them from start with cartel coins.

I usually make characters that are as far away from human looking as possible. Not really fussed with the romance options (but I understand why some are). I would love an Ithorian Consular and a Mon Cal toon as well. I really hope they become available at some point in the future. If the option to change existing characters species to the new species was available - I would be even happier.

Judging by the number of posts about more diverse species selections there is obviously a demand for less human looking playable species. When will Bioware supply this demand?

A jedi hutt would be fun to play as. Seriously though, I would be completely surprised, not to mention disapointed, if the Echani race are not implemented in the future. They played a key role in KOTOR 2, the supposed foundation of this game. I can totally see them being a melee oriented class using their fists, feet, and vibroweapons while wearing light armor with high evasion rates. I personally wouldnt play as one, but it would be nice to see them running around. I would have prefered that they be included as a female Echani companion, the spiritual successor of Briana if you will, to one of the jedi classes. Sadly, that never happened.

I may be wrong buyt Echani aren't they just pale humans with white hair couldn't you just make a human make him pale and give him white hair and call yourself an Echani?

Perosnaly I am hoping for more alien species no more near humans.

That is a wild guess, and it's already been confirmed that Cathar are going to be exclusive to the Cartel shop.

The Star Wars universe is inhabited by over thousands of different intelligent and ferocious species. Some although would be hard to add as mentioned previously by the devs involving more voice-overs and story alterations, whilst others could easily be implemented in a major patch. So here I'll be posting a full list of species which seem ideal as playable with some notes attached. I'll also be stating which class they'd be suited to play as based on established Star Wars continuity and lore. If there are any which you believe are missing, post in the thread and they'll be updated soon. Also vote/post which you'd like to see added.

CATHAR HAS BEEN REVEALED AT E3 AS THE NEXT NEW PLAYABLE SPECIES IN A FUTURE UPDATE!

1 - denotes the species is a simple recolor of humans or feature minor anatomical features which means they could be included in a major patch rather than a possible expansion.

2 - denotes the species is already in-game as either an NPC or Companion

BH = Bounty Hunter, IA = Imperial Agent, JC = Jedi Consular, JK = Jedi Knight, SI = Sith Inquisitor, SM = Smuggler, SW = Sith Warrior, TR = Trooper

Popular candidates

*Bothan - IA, JC, JK, SM, TR

*Falleen 1 - BH, IA, JC, JK, SI, SM, SW, TR

*Ithorian 2 - JC, JK, SM, TR

*Kaleesh 2 - BH, IA, SI, SW

*Kel Dor 2 - BH, JC, JK, TR

*Mon Calamari 2 - BH, JC, JK, TR

*Nautolan 2 - BH, JC, JK, SM, SW, TR

*Rodian 2 - BH, IA, JC, JK, SI, SM, SW, TR

*Selkath 2 - BH, JC, JK, SM?, SW, TR?

*Sullustan 2 - JC, JK, SM, TR

*Taung - BH, TR?

*Togruta 1, 2 - JC, JK

*Trandoshan 2 - BH, JK, SI, SM, SW, TR

*Wookiee 2 - BH?, JK, JC, SM, TR

*Zeltron 1 - BH, IA, JC, JK, SI, SM, SW, TR

Other eligable candidates

*Abyssin 2 - BH, IA, SM, TR

*Anomid 2 - IA, SM

*Arcona 2 - BH, IA, JC, JK, SI, SM, SW, TR

*Argazdan - IA, SI

*Arkanian 1 - JC, JK, SM, TR

*Arkanian Offshoot 1 - JC, JK, SM, TR

*Balosar 1 - BH, IA, SI, SM

*Barabel - BH, IA, SI, SM, SW, TR

*Biituian 1 - BH, IA, JC, JK, SI, SM, SW, TR

*Bimm - IA, JC, JK, SI, SM, SW

*Bith 2 - BH, IA, JC, JK, SI, SM, SW, TR

*Cerean 1 - JC, JK

*Chagrian 2 - BH, IA, JC, JK, SI, SM, SW, TR

*Chistori - BH, JC, JK, SI, SW, TR

*Devaronian 1, 2 - BH, IA, JC, JK, SI, SM, SW, TR

*Duros 2 - BH, IA, JC, JK, SM

*Echani 1 - JC, JK, SI, SW

*Evocii - 1, 2 - JC, JK, SM

*Farghul - BH, SM

*Feeorin - BH, JC, JK, SM, TR

*Fosh - JC, JK, SI, SW

*Frenk - BH, IA

*Gamorrean 2 - BH, TR

*Gand 2 - BH, IA, JC, JK, SI, SM, SW, TR

*Gran 2 - BH, IA, JC, JK, SI, SM, SW, TR

*Hamadryas 1 - BH, IA, JC, JK, SI, SM, SW, TR

*Ho'Din - IA, JC, JK, SM

*Khil - JC, JK, SM, TR

*Kiffar 1 - BH, JC, JK, TR

*Kobok - BH, IA, SM, TR

*Kubaz 2 - BH, IA

*Kyuzo - BH, IA

*Lepi - BH, IA, SM, TR

*Muun 1 - IA, SI

*Nagai 1 - BH, IA, SI, SW

*Neimoidian 2 - BH, IA, SM, TR

*Neti - JC, JK, SI, SW

*Noorian 1 - JC, JK, SM, TR

*Pantoran 1 - JC, JK, SM, TR

*Pau'an 1 - JC, JK, SI, SW

*Phindian - BH, IA

*Quarren - BH, IA, JC, JK, SM, SW, TR

*Rakata 2 - JC, JK, SI, SW

*Roonan - JC, JK

*Sakiyan 1 - BH, IA

*Sarkhai 1, 2 - JC, JK, SM, TR

*Selonian 2 - IA, JC, JK, SM

*Skakoan - BH, IA, SM, TR

*Talz 2 - BH, IA, JC, JK, SM, SW, TR

*Tammuz-an - JC, JK, SM, TR

*Teevan 1 - JC, JK

*Theelin 1 - JC, JK, SI, SM, SW

*Tof 1 - BH, IA

*Ubese 1 - BH, IA

*Umbaran 1 - BH, IA, SI

*Vodran - BH, SM, TR

*Voss 1, 2 - JC, JK, SI, SW, TR

*Vultan 1 - JC, JK, SI, SW

*Weequay 2 - BH, IA, JC, JK, SM, SW, TR

*Wroonian 1 - JC, JK, SM, TR

*Zelosian 1 - BH, IA, SI, SM, SW

*Zygerrian 1 - BH, IA

Legacy and Companion species

Whilst there are many which would be fun to play as, some wouldn't work as playable due to a number of factors: size, physical appearance and primitiveness. Unless BioWare can work some way to include them as playable (maybe through the Legacy system), they'll be much suited as a companion species for now.

^ = denotes that their homeworld would need to be included in order to meet them.

*Aleena

*Anacondan

*Anx

*Chadra-Fan

*Daimlo

*Dantari ^

*Drall

*Dug

*Dulok ^

*Ewok ^

*Filar-Nitzan

*Gen'Dai

*Geonosian

*Gungan ^

*Hutt

*Jawa

*Kaminoan

*Lannik

*Mluki

*Nelvaanian ^

*Noghri

*Ortolan

*Parwan

*Quermian

*Sanyassan

*Sayormi

*Skel

*Talortai

*Tchuukthai

*Toydarian

*T'surr

*Tulgah

*Ugnaught

*Utai ^

*Xamster

*Xexto

*Yoda's species

Q&A

If the species is unable to speak basic or features an extreme alien-like appearance for example Wookiees, Talz and Rodians, wont that affect the story in anyway?

It shouldn't really. There'd be some changes with a few lines of dialogue and like currently right now only specific genders can romance certain companions, there'd be some changes for romances with specific species.

If the species is small like the Drall, Lannik and Ortolan or is very tall like the Wookiees, Quermian, Talz and Tammuz-an, wont that affect the camera height during cut-scenes?

The size of the species shouldn't matter as seen a while ago with the minature character glitch where the camera and NPC's eye focus will automatically align with the player's height.

If the species can only speak non-basic, then wont that cause some concern?

There really shouldn't be any concern. If you don't want to play as a species who can't speak basic and can only growl or speak huttese, then obviously you wouldn't pick it. There'd be of course subtitles to help compensate this but again if you can't be bothered reading lines of writing, don't choose to play as that species. All the other NPC's dialogue wouldn't have their language changed either to match the player's language and would still stay the same.

For any other concerns which you may face, especially regarding Wookiees then this thread should answer your questions:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=503367

Maybe i missed it but i didn't see Shistavanen in your list. :cool::csw_redsaber::csw_bluesaber:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=561960

I usually make characters that are as far away from human looking as possible. Not really fussed with the romance options (but I understand why some are). I would love an Ithorian Consular and a Mon Cal toon as well. I really hope they become available at some point in the future. If the option to change existing characters species to the new species was available - I would be even happier.

Judging by the number of posts about more diverse species selections there is obviously a demand for less human looking playable species. When will Bioware supply this demand?

I agree with you completely! :cool:

I used the in-thread search function to check and see if anyone had this idea, and since no one has...

Gree as a companion.

There in the game already, just need to figure out what role they'd serve; probably uses probes for healing/dps...

Evidence of being in game already: Terror From Beyond (Imp side, don't know if on Pub side too)

Yep, expect any new alien species they add to be cartel shop only.

I admit I probably wouldn't buy Cathar, but i'd buy Kaleesh in an instant.

I can understand if they were available to purchase in the Cartel shop for F2P players but they should be available from the start for subscribers but of course limited to certain classes.