Battle for Ilum Fails as Predicted

MDONINESIX

3:1 Imperials to Republic

Few and far between armament clickies

Initial result: 30 Imperials standing in the center with nobody to kill to complete the daily all trying to get the few armament spawns. 10 Republic trying to fly in en masse and get one or two kills before they are gunned down.

Eventual result: 30 Imperials vs. 10 Republic at the entrance to the Republic base, Republic spawn zerging to defend the base, big kill camp fest, no real PVP.

In the end, this is what will happen. There will just be kill camping and spawn point zerging, not much different than trading walkers was, no real meaningful PVP with objectives and somewhat balanced play.

Republic will join the rolling Ops group formed at the entrance to the base, get credit for the daily and rotate out as complete, Imperials will do the same.

No better than it was yesterday.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

As long as 1 person will think something is a fail, I can predict that everything from this date/time forward is fail.

I know it's not 1 person in this situation but just making a general statement like the one in the thread title.

Edited by Zgabu

As long as 1 person will think something is a fail, I can predict that everything from this date/time forward is fail.

It's just as described above. 30 sith camp republic's base and we get slaughtered. I've been there for an hour and despite getting grouped up nothing changes.

The problem is that the change only works with balanced factions, but that's clearly not the case, it's never been the case on most servers.

So I'm not sure why they implemented this change, which assumes a pretty even balance, where there isn't one.

They are going to either have to revert the change (and quickly) or offer some type of incentives for players to go republic. Honestly I'm not sure what they could offer that would be balanced, though some free server/faction switching might be a good place to start.

Edited by Dharagada

I fail to see how this is Bioware's fault entirely. Certainly at least some, if not most, of the blame falls on the players.

If there are 100 imps on, and 25 republics, why are all the imps forming a giant mob and swarming the severely outnumbered republic players? Why don't they break up and fan out around the map? Sure, that means less action, but it does mean that the action that takes place would be more entertaining since it wouldn't be a complete slaughter.

Instead, from the pictures people are posting, it appears that all the imps are joining together in one big unstoppable zergball horde, then complaining that all there is to do is join up in one giant unstoppable zergball horde. And somehow this is BioWare's fault?

Edited by Eldrenath

Oh god... I didn't exactly have high hopes for the changes, but I'm sorry to say this has turned out even worse than I thought lol.

No skill, no tactics, no challenge.

He who has most players, wins.

He who has most AEs and most players, epic-wins.

He who has a cast time on his attacks, loses.

Why would they even let Mythic handle the pvp? They already failed big time with Warhammer Online.

Illum is such a massive dissapointment.

Bad setpiece PvP in WoW (battlegrounds and arena) has made people forget how open world PvP works.

And population imbalance is hardly Biowares fault. People choose a side they want to play. Nobody forces them to, and Bioware forcing people to choose a side they don't want to play would be a huge fail. (I play Republic, so no accusations are required).

This has been going on since MMO PvP started.

Example: On any given night, back in the old DAOC days, there would be 2 or 3 times as many Albion as there were Midgard or Hibernia out in the frontiers. Albion would still get their rear ends handed to them quite often.

Example: On any given night, back in Vanilla WoW, Alliance would outnumber Horde on a regular basis at least 2:1 on most servers. Alliance would still get pounded more often then not.

Learn to perservere and overcome. If you simply play to the zerg, then you get zerged. If you play static set piece engagements, then numbers win. If you show some imagination, you can beat the zerg even when it outnumbers you significantly.

OR, maybe just go play Huttball where you have a sanitized dumbed down PvP environment.

/2cents

Wait, wait, just wait ...

Are you guys and gals blaming Bioware for faction population imbalance? How in the hell is it their fault for the majority of people selecting "Empire" at the faction selection screen?

Where's the common sense here?

Illum used to be bad, now its horrible, reps corpse camped in spawn and cant get away. Center full of ppl all trying to get 30 armaments each and verry few armaments up. Been there for 15 min and managed to get 2 of the armaments. Imo just remove illum totaly since clearly nothing good can be done with it cause of faction imbalance. Or put in for example 3 different quest factions wich put empire/rep in one of the 3 factions randomly and always keeps it balanced, that way the pvp in illum might stand a chance to work.

so its biowares fault the republic players are bad. its biowares fault you are forced to pvp in a pvp zone. maybe they should just have ilum be one massive gankfest with no loot attached. just a big freaking warzone. people wanted easy purple loot, bioware made this ot possible, im glad they did, now people have to work for their epics instead of being handed welfare epics like wow.

3:1 Imperials to Republic

Few and far between armament clickies

Initial result: 30 Imperials standing in the center with nobody to kill to complete the daily all trying to get the few armament spawns. 10 Republic trying to fly in en masse and get one or two kills before they are gunned down.

Eventual result: 30 Imperials vs. 10 Republic at the entrance to the Republic base, Republic spawn zerging to defend the base, big kill camp fest, no real PVP.

In the end, this is what will happen. There will just be kill camping and spawn point zerging, not much different than trading walkers was, no real meaningful PVP with objectives and somewhat balanced play.

Republic will join the rolling Ops group formed at the entrance to the base, get credit for the daily and rotate out as complete, Imperials will do the same.

No better than it was yesterday.

Ilum needs to be a WZ/server all it's own with cross WZ/server pvp.

Edited by Jiraiya_Goketsu

Warhammer failed to zergie endgame PvP among other things, did you expect anything different with Gabe running the show?

As Gabe has nothing to do with Mythic PvP...and is completely split here and is basically running PvP as a side project, i really wouldn't say you are going in with PvP experience one way or another with Gabe. He is making the same noob mistakes that a lot of PvP designs make sadly.

I need to write a book and sell it to MMO companies...the top 10 things NOT to do when making your game.

Bad setpiece PvP in WoW (battlegrounds and arena) has made people forget how open world PvP works.

And population imbalance is hardly Biowares fault. People choose a side they want to play. Nobody forces them to, and Bioware forcing people to choose a side they don't want to play would be a huge fail. (I play Republic, so no accusations are required).

This has been going on since MMO PvP started.

Example: On any given night, back in the old DAOC days, there would be 2 or 3 times as many Albion as there were Midgard or Hibernia out in the frontiers. Albion would still get their rear ends handed to them quite often.

Example: On any given night, back in Vanilla WoW, Alliance would outnumber Horde on a regular basis at least 2:1 on most servers. Alliance would still get pounded more often then not.

Learn to perservere and overcome. If you simply play to the zerg, then you get zerged. If you play static set piece engagements, then numbers win. If you show some imagination, you can beat the zerg even when it outnumbers you significantly.

OR, maybe just go play Huttball where you have a sanitized dumbed down PvP environment.

/2cents

I fully endorse this message but I fear it will be lost with "It's 2012, not 200x!!"

isn't it more of a factor in population distribution and population tendancys (Imps = more pvp focused guilds) rather than the way it was implemented in game.

This is exactly the reason. The Imperials outnumber the Republic significantly, but people would rather blame the designers because its the easy shot to take.

It's the alliance vs the horde all over again.

I fail to see how this is Bioware's fault entirely. Certainly at least some, if not most, of the blame falls on the players.

If there are 100 imps on, and 25 republics, why are all the imps forming a giant mob and swarming the severely outnumbered republic players? Why don't they break up and fan out around the map? Sure, that means less action, but it does mean that the action that takes place would be more entertaining since it wouldn't be a complete slaughter.

Instead, from the pictures people are posting, it appears that all the imps are joining together in one big unstoppable zergball horde, then complaining that all they have to do is join up in one giant unstoppable zergball horde. And somehow this is BioWare's fault?

The problem is that this was predicted, everyone knew this was going to happen with these changes.