Need Rolls (License to Steal)

Nothing like losing your luckily dropped class specific gear to any player who can click a button, ninja or noob doesn't matter shouldn't be possible. Now that mastery is the main stat you cant blame people for making honest mistakes.

If the gear isn't for your class and discipline you shouldn't be able to need roll on it that simple. WoW handled it years ago. The undeniable truth is this. The way the system is now it is extremely unlikely the one good piece of gear that drops at the end of a story mode raid will end up in the proper hands. Please take away ninjas and noobs license to steal.

Edited by Deiciiide

Are we talking about flashpoints or operations here? In operations the random Mk-2 gear pieces are generally considered uninteresting and anyone is free to roll need on them.

Furthermore, there are really only two types of non-set gear now: tank gear and dps/healer gear. If a dps or healer is rolling on tank gear or vice versa, chances are they want it for their tank alt. These days it's generally accepted to roll for alts.

Perhaps you should discuss the loot rules with your group before starting to agree on what's allowed and what isn't.

Observation. In 4.X, there are only three kinds of gear: tank, dps, and heal. (Yes, yes, there's still some heavy/medium/light in a few places, but pretty much all the interesting gear is adaptive.)

Yes, of course there's still a problem with people ninja-ing gear, but it is in no way as bad as it used to be. (Back in the day, of course, it would be amusing to watch someone ninja a Cunning Assault Cannon.(1) A more useless object cannot be imagined.)

(1) Yes, that was a thing. Agents and Smugglers couldn't use it because it was a Commando-only weapon, while Commandos were not supposed to use it because it didn't have Aim on it. They made up about 50% of foe-dropped Assault Cannons.

Smuggler tank gear ftw! I had a guildie who was trying to gather up a full set of it.

As stated before, there is no such thing as class specific gear drops anymore. BW just didn't want to rename things when they rolled everything into the mastery stat. There is DPS, tank, and healer gear and it is all on adaptive armor so if it fits your role, it's free game.

I did two operations yesterday where only one selected Need for token after first boss and everyone else selected Greed or Pass. Person got token but didn't lose 1 token so he got second token later. Master Looter was used after this. Edited by Halinalle

What if you NEED to reverse engineer it? ... It's still needed is it not?

Lol, REing counts as greed. You can't even argue about it, the game puts the disassemble button in the same roll list as the greed button; that's one of the few places where the devs regulated the loot rules somwhat.

What if you NEED to reverse engineer it? ... It's still needed is it not?

The "generally accepted" and "fair" practice if you want to RE the item is to ask before clicking "Need", and "Greed" if in doubt.

But you definitely get idiots who just "Need" on everything they see because there is no penalty for doing so, other than being kicked and ignored by the group.

Lol, REing counts as greed. You can't even argue about it, the game puts the disassemble button in the same roll list as the greed button; that's one of the few places where the devs regulated the loot rules somwhat.

There is a button there called 'need' - I click need and win it and I can then RE it or do what I want with it within the bind rules.

Many people may not like it but it's easy to see how people can choose to view this as needing an item.

If they really didn't want people doing this they would remove the ability to RE needed items.

What if I NEED it for another toon? You might tell me the rule is only for my toon but I don't see that written anywhere?

My point is anyone can deem a reason for why they think they need an item, they don't even need justify it to you or anyone else - it's on Bioware to fix it so people only really have the reason of needing it to equip for their current toon

( BOP whilst removing the legacy switch trick, no vendor sales though that would be a stupid reason to need, no RE ).

Fwiw I don't do anything of this but it's worth playing devil's advocate here.

What does the disassemble button do anyway? Same thing as greed or actually disassemble it? Curious really why they would put a function in that can so easily be bypassed by clicking need.

The "generally accepted" and "fair" practice if you want to RE the item is to ask before clicking "Need", and "Greed" if in doubt.

But you definitely get idiots who just "Need" on everything they see because there is no penalty for doing so, other than being kicked and ignored by the group.

Yup of course but that's the problem - "generally accepted". With the amount of noobs coming through thanks to start @60 and super levelling ... how many even know this? Or even agree with? Not everyone has to agree with that rule and in their eyes they are perfectly entitled to need on it.

Personally if I'm rolling greed I don't give a crap, I'm never going to win a roll anyway as someone always needs in ops ( fp's not so much ).

And if I roll need and they beat me to it with their selfishness then *shrug* ... that's RNG ... I'm better making a whinge topic about Bioware fixing the system than attacking ninja's because many are ideally justified - they just don't conform to the rules some people decided to unofficially put in place.

Hello SWTOR Community I was doing an on a credit run with a ops group for EV Eternal Vault and was going good until I noticed that I wasn't getting any credits or Gear. Well come to find out that it was on Master Looter and only the Leader could pick it up will I wanted it but The Player was doing Bids for it its a Money run for him not everyone else. so I was like (Hey this isn't Fair what's going on?) Well come to find out the Gear they people needed was going to the highest bigger and it was all unassembled starting at 250K Per one. And ithink something should be done about it https://gyazo.com/23412482d261209f51c4c8d5b2a71698

I'm better making a whinge topic about Bioware fixing the system than attacking ninja's because many are ideally justified - they just don't conform to the rules some people decided to unofficially put in place.

A reminder/rehash may be in order before starting, and if somebody isn't happy with how stuff is going to be handled they can propose an alternative or leave the group. When in doubt, ask. Staying in the group, not protesting the tacit agreement on need/greed etiquette with the explicit purpose of exploiting other players' adherence to said etiquette is a complete douche move, and should rightfully lead to being kicked out and named/shamed in /1.

Sure, you can choose not to conform to any rules that the untermenschen community try to impose on you in their feeble attempts to sap your will to power or whatever, but at the end of the day that just makes you an ***.

Well come to find out the Gear they people needed was going to the highest bigger and it was all unassembled starting at 250K Per one.

That is a group I would have left instantly.

Always check before the group starts if there is any special lootrules, it is better to find out before any lockouts happen and it gets harder to find a new group.

Edited by Icestar

We got a small chest in Tactical Reapers ... Someone who remained silent all of the time and did a lot of mistakes took "need" on the planet model and the crafting material from that chest - meanwhile everyone else took "greed".

So "Need" is the new "Greed", so to say ?

On my server I play on it is common to use need on tradeskill items, there is always someone that press need on those so almost everyone use need.

I am not sure what you mean with "planet model"

Edited by Icestar

On my server I play on it is common to use need on tradeskill items, there is always someone that press need on those so almost everyone use need.

I am not sure what you mean with "planet model"

Maybe he means a companion gift that looks like a little planet or something. I always hit Need on gifts and crafting material satchels because I "need' them as much as anyone else does.

Edited by branmakmuffin