Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Need some help with RP...

FoxCass
12.06.2012 , 12:23 PM | #1
I recently started to play SWTOR and I really enjoy it, but... It's sort of lonely all by myself. And all those people that role-play seem to be having so much fun. I would love to role-play too, but I think I suck at it... Maybe there are classes, tips or something for beginners like me?
(I'd really like to find some people that could teach me)

Thanks in advance!

Darka
12.06.2012 , 12:29 PM | #2
Start with a Simple "Hi There"
And that will get the ball rolling, MOST RPers will be helpful if you send them a /tell and talk to them
Best bet to get started is not to try over do it, think of your character and what they would do/act and say.
Even write it down some where, then slowly start adding more and more as you get more into it.
Starting off simple is the best way, look for the hot spots, like the Fleet and Shaddaa Cantina and just slowly walk up and join in, say hello, and tell them about your adventures

"Hi There, glad to be able to take a short stop. Just made the run from Hoth, good to have my feet on the ground again."

FoxCass
12.07.2012 , 01:23 AM | #3
Thank you!

Ganden
12.08.2012 , 04:45 AM | #4
You can meet and greet some of the players here on the forums, as well as getting yourself familiar with some of the guilds on the RP servers.

In addition, you're welcome to check out SWTOR-RP (link in my sig) which is an RP hub for SWTOR. You might find some players there also
Ganden Venorsi
Ataru shall set me free...
Editor-in-chief
SWTOR-RP

Lordmird
12.16.2012 , 02:18 PM | #5
Hey fellow RP'ers!
First off, I'd like to say I live on the Bergeren Colony (Or however the hell you spell it).
I'll assume you know the basics of talking, emoting and such while RPing. I've found that (on my server atleast) most RP'ers are on in the later hours of the evening. Hotspots are; The Fleet, Nar Shadaar's Slippery Slopes cantina, and Voss. (This isn't a complete list, It's just usually where I'd go if I'm looking to RP).

If you walk into, say, Slippery Slopes, you might not know anyone in there, seeing as you're a beginner. You'll want to get yourself noticed, but not openly talk to anyone until you feel comfortable doing so. I suggest something like,
*The weary agent dragged himself into the cantina. It had been a hard day, and a Tihaar would finish it nicely. He looks around the room, breathing in the sights, and all the people present.. He made his way to the bar.....*

Saying something like this will get you noticed by the other RP'ers in the room. Sit down, have a drink, and figure out why you're here, how you got here, and blablabla. Think of a backstory for your character, so you're ready if someone comes up and asks "Where you from?".
If no one comes up to you, try going up to them. Take a seat(or stand) by someone, ask if you can buy them a drink.
Try being a reflection of your character, or even be the exact opposite. Whatever you do, don't rush, don't start a random fight, don't swear at people, and don't speak in a completely different language.

Welcome...
to RPing.
"Who dares wins" "By Strength and Guile" "Per Mare, Per Terram" "Utrinque Paratus" Her Majesty's best
Could you do it?

DoctorJest
01.03.2013 , 02:34 PM | #6
The basic concept of role-playing is to try to think, act, and speak as your character would do. Bioware got you started with this with the conversation system. Why did you choose the options you did for your character? What does that tell you about their personality and who they are? What's their backstory and history that made them that way?

Once you have that, it's much the same thing with other players; the difference is you don't have a choice between three canned responses, but any response that you think your character would make.

My advice is simply to stay in character like that all the time; when you meet another player, respond as your character. When you join a group, speak in character, think of why your character would be in this group, what their objectives are, and give that voice. After fighting and defeating a boss, would the character show remorse for killing, or revel in their enemy's defeat? Express that through your dialogue or emotes.

If you need to speak out of character, use ((parentheses, like this)) to denote you're speaking as yourself, not as your character. Just talking out of character like that will tip off roleplayers that you're a roleplayer, too.

From there it should all come fairly natural, as the more you do this, the more "real" your character will be in your mind, and the easier a time you'll have anticipating how they'd react to any situation.