System Performance - New Rig Required!

LuckyVII

Hey Guys,

I’ve been looking to get a new PC for some time now and since I started playing SWTOR last week my gaming rig is really starting to show its age. My computers not old by any mean (about 4 years) but as we all know, the world of PC gaming seems to move on so much faster than console gaming in regards to system requirements that everything feels outdated within 6 months…

Anyway, to get down to my question. What I’m looking for is a new gaming rig to let me play SWTOR at full settings rather than the “low” settings that I have to run it at right now.

I’ve been looking at the Alienware X51 system with a nice new Dell Monitor to compliment it but I don’t think the X51 would be powerful enough to get out of it what I would be expecting so I’m starting to think I might need to look elsewhere…

Does anyone have any ideas?

VII

Hey Guys,

I’ve been looking at the Alienware X51 system with a nice new Dell Monitor to compliment it but I don’t think the X51 would be powerful enough to get out of it what I would be expecting so I’m starting to think I might need to look elsewhere…

You don't mention what you might be expecting, but the top-spec X51 (GTX 555, i7) runs at 59-60 fps (locked to refresh rate) with everything (except shadows) at full. Character texture atlasing is also on. It would probably do shadows fine too, but I don't like how full shadow are done, so keeping them at low.

Just got this rig a couple of days ago (hurrah for mid-year bonus) as I was in the same situation as you. I had unsubbed because the performance was so terrible on my not very old PC, but will consider re-subbing when my 3 months run out.

You don't mention what you might be expecting, but the top-spec X51 (GTX 555, i7) runs at 59-60 fps (locked to refresh rate) with everything (except shadows) at full. Character texture atlasing is also on. It would probably do shadows fine too, but I don't like how full shadow are done, so keeping them at low.

Just got this rig a couple of days ago (hurrah for mid-year bonus) as I was in the same situation as you. I had unsubbed because the performance was so terrible on my not very old PC, but will consider re-subbing when my 3 months run out.

Thanks for that, I wouldn’t say that the performance I've been getting is terrible and the game runs fast and smooth but just with everything set at low. I have been tempted to hold out for the revision of the x51 in the next few weeks just to see if they up the PSU and the GPU once nVidia release the new mid ranged 600 series cards but I could be waiting a long time for this…

Don't ever buy Alienware, their prices are over the top.

People seem to throw this comment in often when it comes to Alienware but from what I can see the savings made by building your own comparable spec system isn’t as large as everyone tries to make it out to be.

Let’s say I build the same exact spec on a well know UK parts dealers website, you’re talking around £1000 without adding a motherboard, case or power supply. The Alienware built is only £1191 so unless you’re telling me I can get a good case, power supply and motherboard all for under £191… oh but wait, wouldn’t I then be spending the same amount of money for almost the exact system and also have to build it myself??????

VII

People seem to throw this comment in often when it comes to Alienware but from what I can see the savings made by building your own comparable spec system isn’t as large as everyone tries to make it out to be.

Yeah, this.

First time in more than 20 years I've not built the machine myself. The time I'd spend sourcing the parts, ensuring compatibility, putting it all together and doing the driver dance is not worth the roughly €100 I'd save.

The catch with the X51 is that you're pretty much stuck at the spec due to power and heat constraints.