What happens to Luke?

What happens to Luke between Empire and RotJ?

It's always bothered me that at the end of Empire he's still very much a boy, and he's just been told, by Yoda no less, that he has to complete his training.

Yet by the start of RotJ, he's pretty much Jedi'd up - to the extend that when he goes back to Dagoba, Yoda tells him that his training is complete.

Is there some part of the EU that explains all this? And I mean something that's established canon?

Or is it just another example of Lucas's elastic approach to story telling?

you're not a jedi until you create your first lightsaber. Vader in RotJ "I see you have constructed a new lightsaber. Your training is now complete."

Thats what he was doing. He went back to obi wan's hut on tatooine and created new lightsaber. I always thought he found Qui-Gons old crystal, but everyone else seems to say that he created a synth crystal. I have read most of the novels, but not the comics so I am not entirely sure abou tthe crystal.

But thats what he was doing. Once you create your saber using only the force....your training is complete.

you're not a jedi until you create your first lightsaber. Vader in RotJ "I see you have constructed a new lightsaber. Your training is now complete."

Thats what he was doing. He went back to obi wan's hut on tatooine and created new lightsaber. I always thought he found Qui-Gons old crystal, but everyone else seems to say that he created a synth crystal. I have read most of the novels, but not the comics so I am not entirely sure abou tthe crystal.

But thats what he was doing. Once you create your saber using only the force....your training is complete.

Its actually "your skills are complete". :p But anyway between Empire and ROTJ, Luke trained and made a new lightsaber which was rather a big feat seeing what limited resources Luke had. So by ROTJ his training was complete. The movie novelizations go more in depth with Luke's training in being a jedi, as does the books between the movies.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

I've always thought that Luke's need for more training wasn't to learn how to access the Force, but how to control it. It was more the issue that Luke was still a reckless kid who was still largely driven by his emotions. And of course Yoda wanted to make sure Luke was emotionally ready before confronting Vader and learning that he was his father.

The fight with Vader ironically helped him develop that emotional maturity, he had the biggest shock and defeat of his life. As much as creating a Lightsaber was a sign that he'd learnt both the technical skills required to design a lightsaber and the control of the Force necessary to construct it. I think the time was mostly spent getting his head on straight, training the skills he'd learnt from Yoda and working his way through Ben's Journal. Shadows of the Empire implies he spent a lot of time working on his Lightsaber and getting his head right.

He created the crystal in a furnace using instructions he found in Obi Wan's hut, that Jawas and Sand People thought was haunted.

This is actually stated in Shadows of the Empire, Luke was also afraid his lightsaber would blow up in his face when he first turned it on.

Shadows of the Empire covers that period pretty thoroughly, but--as I recall--it's rather silly.

It was and still is one of the most influential and best novels in the EU. And picked up the EU flame that Thrawn lit.

It was and still is one of the most influential and best novels in the EU. And picked up the EU flame that Thrawn lit.

that's because it wasn't just a novel it was a whole multi-media project... there was the novel, comic books, the N64 game (which was awesome), a Soundtrack, action figures, Trading cards and toys

Edited by Liquidacid

that's because it wasn't just a novel it was a whole multi-media project... there was the novel, comic books, the N64 game (which was awesome), a Soundtrack, action figures, Trading cards and toys

Thats right, it was Lucas' 1st multi-media attempt & sucess out side of the films.

And a pretty solid PC game, main character was Dash Rendar.

oooo an entire year. I never laughed so hard.

Luke is like his father and like any Skywalker before and after him.

They learn far more faster than most Average LightSider's/Dark-Sider's.

Its been stated thousands of times, Anakin was one of the quickest learning Jedi of all time.

Dooku even thought he was the greatest master of Djem So he had ever seen and was astonished to how fast he mastered it.

And we've all read/seen Luke learn Force Abilities within days. Hell he created some abilities that were unheard of in days and sometimes hours.

Luke is like his father and like any Skywalker before and after him.

They learn far more faster than most Average LightSider's/Dark-Sider's.

Its been stated thousands of times, Anakin was one of the quickest learning Jedi of all time.

Dooku even thought he was the greatest master of Djem So he had ever seen and was astonished to how fast he mastered it.

And we've all read/seen Luke learn Force Abilities within days. Hell he created some abilities that were unheard of in days and sometimes hours.

"like any Skywalker before him" I didn't know mom was so talented.

A year, lol. That's like someone saying I'm going to go train for a year and then win an MMA championship. I think it might have been longer than a year.

A year, lol. That's like someone saying I'm going to go train for a year and then win an MMA championship. I think it might have been longer than a year.

Well you'd be wrong.

It was canonically a year.

Just like Luke canonically went from barely able to pull a lightsaber out of a pile of snow to being able to levitate multiple rocks and supply cases + R2D2 telekinetically while standing on his head and balancing Yoda on his foot in the few weeks he was on Dagobah.

Just like he canonically instinctively picked up the basics of Form V just from dueling Vader once.

Luke is canonically the most powerful and fastest learning Jedi of all time.

Total of Luke's training was 3 years, beginning in ANH and finishing in ROTJ. In that time frame he pretty much surpassed any jedi before in become a jedi knight, moreso impressive he did it with little resources. It took over a decade for a jedi to become a knight(typically), Luke did it in 3 years flat.

Edit: When I mean 3 years, I am counting his training with Obi-Wan, his training with Yoda, and then whatever else he did between ESB/ROTJ.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

Do you want me to give you a list of people in real life who have had much less training than others and yet managed to achieve more accomplishments?

Actually, it's either one year, or only six months, going by what source you choose - novel says 6 months. Either way it's a short period.

Edited by CelticMutt