Are they going to continue the companion storylines?

Daylooin

Yes! But it'll cost additional money.

As long as they have an expansion that deals with ALL of the companions, not just a few of them, I'm good with paying money. I also hope they continue the romances, because they kind of leave it hanging out there. "Yay, we're married... The End!"

As long as they have an expansion that deals with ALL of the companions, not just a few of them, I'm good with paying money. I also hope they continue the romances, because they kind of leave it hanging out there. "Yay, we're married... The End!"

After seeing how they did the added customization features, I'd most likely suspect them to come to use in pieces and that's if they do come (which I suspect will be paid for content)

Even if the companion expansions were one at a time, I would be fine with that. Drawing it out might make it more fulfilling once you get it

And when I say one at a time, I mean one class at a time. Like SW companions, then JK, then IA, then SM, so on and so forth.

Title says it all, will EA/BW continue the companion's storylines?

Let's hope so. My smuggler's itching to

put Risha on her throne and become king. Hail to the king, baby!

On a side note:

Nope, I heard that 2.2 has something involving the Gree, but they're keeping it pretty tight knit.

I knew it! The Gree are coming! THE GREE ARE COMING!

/ride

Let's hope so. My smuggler's itching to

put Risha on her throne and become king. Hail to the king, baby!

On a side note:

I knew it! The Gree are coming! THE GREE ARE COMING!

/ride

You will be provided a horse and lanterns.

Edited by Bytemite

I sure hope not. If they did one new scene for every companion, that`s 40 scenes. With 40 scenes we could have an entirely new mini-expansions worth of story lines.

Instead of a new scene for every companion, they could just make it so you have a new scene for the romancable companions.

Doing something for all the companions is quite a under taking.

It's the same for any new class specific content really. Not only would all the programming, scripting, etc, take awhile, but they'd need to reassemble all the companion voice actors and all the character class VAs as well. That would take quite awhile due to scheduling conflicts.

After seeing how they did the added customization features, I'd most likely suspect them to come to use in pieces and that's if they do come (which I suspect will be paid for content)

That's very doubtful.

Paying for it, yes, that it is likely however not doing all the classes at same time is extremely unlikely. There's no way for Bioware to chose 1 class over all the others without it seeming like favoritism towards that class. It's something that you never want to do with an MMO.

Instead of a new scene for every companion, they could just make it so you have a new scene for the romancable companions.

The only way that's going to happen is if it's the same scene.

For instance you get a new mission titled "The Wedding" in which you and your companion are married. The location is the same regardless of class. The companions (with the exception of the fiance) are all witnesses to the wedding. Before the I do's can be exchanged the wedding is crashed by a group of enemies that you and the rest of your companions fight off. After the battle finishes the ceremony concludes ending the mission.

^It's basically Mass Effect 3's Citadel DLC squashed down into a single mission. Still even as easy as that may seem to do, it take a good bit of time to get done, but the biggest problem the amount of people that care about something like that or even want it.

Not everybody cares about the romances in the game, and there's a chance that it only really appeals to a small audience of players. For example if that's the sort of thing that only appeals to 10% of TOR's audience it's unlikely you're ever going to see it.

That's very doubtful.

Paying for it, yes, that it is likely however not doing all the classes at same time is extremely unlikely. There's no way for Bioware to chose 1 class over all the others without it seeming like favoritism towards that class. It's something that you never want to do with an MMO.

Since they added new hair options for two species (Human & Chiss) and not all species, why do you think it doubtful they wouldn't update companion storylines class by class?

Since they added new hair options for two species (Human & Chiss) and not all species, why do you think it doubtful they wouldn't update companion storylines class by class?

Because that type of stuff is handled by different teams. The Cartel Market team is separate from the team that handles the story and gameplay content.

If they’re going to do story updates in any form they’re going to release it all at once in a digital expansion like RoTHC. Why do you think you can’t use Cartel Coins to buy RoTHC?

If they released them individually and one of the classes doesn’t do well or sells way less than the others, guess what class is no longer going to be treated as an equal the next time you try to update the class content piece mule stlye? Doing it within a single expansion stands to make them more money as they can charge more for it. Rather than somebody who plays a smuggler using their monthly cartel coin grant to get a deal on “The Smuggler Companion Pack” they’re instead going to charge players $9.99 or $19.99 just like they did with RoTHC.

Even if they had a Jedi Knight companion pack all ready to go they wouldn’t release it just because they could. They’d wait to have more content done to bundle it with. Just look at Patch 2.1. Do you really think it took them a year to make the Cathar, or do you think they waited to bundle it with a few other features that were all completed at different times?

Note that*CM items*like Human Hair Pack 2, Chiss Hair Pack 1, Zabrak Tattoos Pack 1,*Cathar Patterns 1,*etc, are probably all done and completed at this point. That’s generally how things work, in that they produce enough content all at once or in phases so that they can schedule it out to be released in pieces even though it may have been finished months ago. This type of practice is common with DLC, even with content that’s already on the disc.

Of course the CM team split features up by race. They figure they stand to make more money that way and will have a steady stream of updates as well. Meanwhile all the players know it’s BS since the majority of races all use a lot of the same features to the point that there’s no reason anything should be separated unless it’s specifically tied to that race somehow.*The people that handle the Cartel Market are the same people that think it’s a good idea to do retailer specific pre-order bonuses.

Because that type of stuff is handled by different teams. The Cartel Market team is separate from the team that handles the story and gameplay content.

If they’re going to do story updates in any form they’re going to release it all at once in a digital expansion like RoTHC. Why do you think you can’t use Cartel Coins to buy RoTHC?

If they released them individually and one of the classes doesn’t do well or sells way less than the others, guess what class is no longer going to be treated as an equal the next time you try to update the class content piece mule stlye? Doing it within a single expansion stands to make them more money as they can charge more for it. Rather than somebody who plays a smuggler using their monthly cartel coin grant to get a deal on “The Smuggler Companion Pack” they’re instead going to charge players $9.99 or $19.99 just like they did with RoTHC.

Even if they had a Jedi Knight companion pack all ready to go they wouldn’t release it just because they could. They’d wait to have more content done to bundle it with. Just look at Patch 2.1. Do you really think it took them a year to make the Cathar, or do you think they waited to bundle it with a few other features that were all completed at different times?

Note that*CM items*like Human Hair Pack 2, Chiss Hair Pack 1, Zabrak Tattoos Pack 1,*Cathar Patterns 1,*etc, are probably all done and completed at this point. That’s generally how things work, in that they produce enough content all at once or in phases so that they can schedule it out to be released in pieces even though it may have been finished months ago. This type of practice is common with DLC, even with content that’s already on the disc.

Of course the CM team split features up by race. They figure they stand to make more money that way and will have a steady stream of updates as well. Meanwhile all the players know it’s BS since the majority of races all use a lot of the same features to the point that there’s no reason anything should be separated unless it’s specifically tied to that race somehow.*The people that handle the Cartel Market are the same people that think it’s a good idea to do retailer specific pre-order bonuses.

I get all that. But by that same token, the content team can release companion storylines by the class, instead of all at once, to keep a steady stream of content coming.

I get all that. But by that same token, the content team can release companion storylines by the class, instead of all at once, to keep a steady stream of content coming.

They won't do that for the reasons I explained.

Doing that isn't as financially viable, not to mention far too alienating to a good amount of players. Even the ones who don't care about that kinda of stuff will still outrage at the fact that the Jedi Knight (or whatever) got the update first instead of X class.

Also (again) let's say they do it that way, and the Jedi Knight goes first, but in the JK Companion Pack needs to sell 10,000 times in order for it to prove financially viable to do the next one. Now what happens if the JK pack only sells 7,000 times? Well that means the other 7 classes are never going to get their Companion Pack(s)

You're not looking at this from a business perspective, nor do you know how game development works. You're not thinking about what is the best way to maximize their profits while appealing to a significant amount of players as well.

This is the type of thing they will/would do in a expansion/update. period. It doesn't matter what other solution you come up with, because that's not going to be the way they do it.

They won't do that for the reasons I explained.

Doing that isn't as financially viable, not to mention far too alienating to a good amount of players. Even the ones who don't care about that kinda of stuff will still outrage at the fact that the Jedi Knight (or whatever) got the update first instead of X class.

Also (again) let's say they do it that way, and the Jedi Knight goes first, but in the JK Companion Pack needs to sell 10,000 times in order for it to prove financially viable to do the next one. Now what happens if the JK pack only sells 7,000 times? Well that means the other 7 classes are never going to get their Companion Pack(s)

You're not looking at this from a business perspective, nor do you know how game development works. You're not thinking about what is the best way to maximize their profits while appealing to a significant amount of players as well.

This is the type of thing they will/would do in a expansion/update. period. It doesn't matter what other solution you come up with, because that's not going to be the way they do it.

I am looking at it from that perspective. We have the same problem with the Cather as a species...so many need to sell before the next one. We have the character customization packs...so many need to sell before the next one.

When they could have released the new hairstyles for all the races. I know I'd love to have had the hair options! However, I don't have a human, so why would I buy it? If more players are like that, then that's less people buying the pack.

And because you say they wouldn't do it that way, doesn't make it so. You know, like posts of "never go f2p" or "250k subs is all we need to stay profitable and we have 500k" or whatever such, "this'll never happen"

TOR F2P is starting to feel a bit like Aeria Games F2P. Here's the game, and everything added now will be charged additionally, which could very well be "Look! New Class Companion stories! For the JK only right now, but if it sells well, we have more waiting!"

Of course they have the other stories made, but they use this gimmick to get the same players who bought the cathar species, not because they want to make one or even will make one, but because they figure if they buy it, it'll lead to the species they do want.

And that, is a business perspective.

I am looking at it from that perspective. We have the same problem with the Cather as a species...so many need to sell before the next one.

They already knew the Cathar would sell well enough to get more species made.

The problem is that Bioware Austin needs EA to give them the money and go ahead to do more races. They're basically manipulating EA so they can get money to do the specific things that Austin team wants to make rather than the things that EA corporate thinks are a good idea, like a majority of what's on the Cartel Market.

We have the character customization packs...so many need to sell before the next one.

Not true, they're already done.

Do you seriously think it took them a year make the Cathar, or did they instead sit on it and other features so they could bundle them within a single update, ie Customization. That's how it works now. Just because something is done doesn't mean it's going to release any time soon.

When they could have released the new hairstyles for all the races.

They could have, but they won't.

Look at something like Capcom's fighting games. Almost 100% of all their DLC is locked on the disc. Characters, costumes, color packs, etc, but they never release it all at once. It gets released on a weekly basis, even though it's all their on the disc. Guess why they do it that way? A big part of it has to do with the fact that they don't want people to trade in the game so what they do is provide a steady drip of content to keep players coming back, even though all of the work has been completed.

TOR is no different than that. While you can't trade the game in, they're using a similar method of trying to keep people on the hook.

I know I'd love to have had the hair options! However, I don't have a human, so why would I buy it? If more players are like that, then that's less people buying the pack.

You're going to see more hairpacks regardless of how the human ones sell, for the simple reason that the other packs are already done.

They'll end up releasing hair packs for each specific race that are unique to that race, and then when they're done they'll release a compatibility pack that you'll have to buy that will allow you to use any hair pack with any race. That is how it works.

And because you say they wouldn't do it that way, doesn't make it so. You know, like posts of "never go f2p" or "250k subs is all we need to stay profitable and we have 500k" or whatever such, "this'll never happen"

Unless you work in the industry or know people that do, you're never really going to have an understanding of how things work on the development side of games.

TOR F2P is starting to feel a bit like Aeria Games F2P. Here's the game, and everything added now will be charged additionally, which could very well be "Look! New Class Companion stories! For the JK only right now, but if it sells well, we have more waiting!"

Alright then name some examples of some F2P MMOs that sell items that only benefit a single class without having some sort of alternative for the other classes at the same time.

Give me a specific example of what it is you're suggesting. It shouldn't be too hard since just about every MMO out there is F2P.

Of course they have the other stories made, but they use this gimmick to get the same players who bought the cathar species, not because they want to make one or even will make one, but because they figure if they buy it, it'll lead to the species they do want.

Omg.

Let's say TOR has 500k players? How many of those 500K do you think follow every bit of news about TOR, or post on these forums, or more specifically actually know that fact about the Cathar?

You are seriously over estimating the amount of players that know/knew that fact about the Cathar. The majority of people buying the Cathar are people who are buying it because it's something different looking. It's giving them an alternative that they haven't had since the game launched.

TOR is a class based game. Species do not hold any sort of significance the way they do in other MMOs, it's purely cosmetic, just like nearly every item on the Cartel Market.

They can not get away with doing what you're suggesting. Look at how poorly 2.1 went over, now imagine the reaction denying players class specific features. The promise of equality later doesn't/won't matter to them.

And that, is a business perspective.

No, not really, they're just your assumptions. Like I said above unless you actually work in the industry, you're never going to know how things truly work and without that knowledge it's always going to be difficult to suggest things within reason, or that or doable, or are even good ideas.

New Companion stories are indeed in the works. They are being created for all classes in a modular format so that each mission in a chain is a discreet item. These mission items will be obtained randomly from lockboxes (purchased with Cartel Coins, of course) with no means of choosing which companion, which class, or even which faction the mission will be for.

A player must then collect all missions in a given Companion's line before the line actually unlocks and becomes available for play. Missions unlocked in such a manner may only be played by the character who collected all missions in the line, though once unlocked, the mission line may be unlocked account-wide for your other characters to play for an additional fee in Cartel Coins.

(Yes, this is entirely satirical, but . . . I can't help but feel this is exactly where this game is headed.)

Edited by Ayradyss

New Companion stories are indeed in the works. They are being created for all classes in a modular format so that each mission in a chain is a discreet item. These mission items will be obtained randomly from lockboxes (purchased with Cartel Coins, of course) with no means of choosing which companion, which class, or even which faction the mission will be for.

A player must then collect all missions in a given Companion's line before the line actually unlocks and becomes available for play. Missions unlocked in such a manner may only be played by the character who collected all missions in the line, though once unlocked, the mission line may be unlocked account-wide for your other characters to play for an additional fee in Cartel Coins.

(Yes, this is entirely satirical, but . . . I can't help but feel this is exactly where this game is headed.)

For being satirical, I can't help but believe it to be the case. It'll also likely be called an expansion, so they can say it's not part of the free content to subs. :p

We might have good guesses or insights or even industry experience, and considering the state of the general discussion board here, releasing updates for one class at a time will raise an unholy amount of aggravation and tension between various classes. However none of us are with Bioware and we can't be sure what they might do.

I am uncertain whether there will be companion updates at all, even in an expansion, despite that all the playerbase wants them. I think that depends on what EA is willing to let bioware do and their direction for the game. But I like imagining how the stories might be expanded, beyond fluff companion romance downloadable content. Narrative twists and character development are what I want to see most. More struggles, hidden agendas, backstory secrets coming back to haunt the characters, all that good stuff.

Edited by Bytemite

Thank you, someone had to mock the HK-51 quest line of bull... I would like to see more companion stories but, some of the companions would become more extreme versions of themselves e.g. Master Carsen ... *looks for Vette's old shock collar to post to the republic*