Pyrotech, Sweltering Heat still not working as described

Evuo

NOTE: This skill and its affected abilities apply to both the Mercenary/Commando and Powertech/Vanguard versions of the Pyrotech/Assault Skill trees. This is mostly just a repost of my bug report on the PTS forums and now the Customer Service forums.

Skill Name: Sweltering Heat

Skill Type: Passive

Skill Points for Maximum Rank: 2

Skill Description: Combustible Gas Cylinder has a 50% (100% with 2/2 points) chance to apply its effects to reduce the movement speed of the target by 30% for 2 seconds.

Abilities augmented by this Skill:

•Flame Burst (additionally augmented by the Bursting Flame Skill)

•Rapid Shots

•Unload

•Rail Shot

•Flame Sweep (additionally augmented by the Volatile Igniter Skill)

The Problem: The skill is not functioning as listed in the description.

Description of the Problem: Sweltering Heat only applies a maximum of 2 times consecutively no matter the combination of abilities used to apply Combustible Gas Cylinder. You must let the Combustible Gas Cylinder Dot run its duration or be cleansed before it can apply its slow effect again. This limit is not described in the tooltip associated with this skill. Therefore, the text is either incorrect or this skill is not functioning as intended.

How this Skill functioned prior to 2.0: Using a Rail Shot on the target affected by the Combustible Gas Cylinder dot would refresh the Sweltering Heat slow and allow you to apply the Sweltering Heat slow up to two more times before needing another Rail Shot to reset the Combustible Gas Cylinder dot/Sweltering Heat slow. This limit is has also never been described in or been able to be inferred from the tooltip. It has functioned this way since release whether it was intended or not.

There are some other slight complications as well. Missile Salvo now can trigger CGC as well. Moreover Missile Salvo and Flame Sweep know enable CGC to exist on multiple targets. I ran some tests on the last day of the PTS and found that Missile Salvo did refresh the CGC burn damage on a dummy. Presumably it would also refresh the snare, although I can't confirm that obviously. I was unable to test whether Flame Sweep refreshed CGC on a target already affected by CGC. I did test other abilities and can confirm the OP's statement that those abilities now no longer refresh CGC - although I can't remember whether Superheated Rail worked properly.

My guess is that when they introduced Missile Salvo's ability to trigger CGC and the limits it has on triggering CGC (Missile Salvo can only trigger CGC once every 6 seconds - so you can't put CGC on 4 targets for example), they either purposefully or inadvertently made that "only once in 6 seconds" limit apply to CGC for all other attacks (taken as a group). Thus when you trigger CGC with Unload, there then starts a 6 second blackout where you can't trigger CGC from Rapid Shots, Power Shot, etc. This is indeed a nerf, and if intended a rather devious stealth nerf.

I did test other abilities and can confirm the OP's statement that those abilities now no longer refresh CGC - although I can't remember whether Superheated Rail worked properly.

Just to be clear, the complication I'm experiencing is the age old one of Sweltering Heat not proccing despite CGC proccing. Flame Sweep (when augmented by the Volatile Igniter Skill) and Flame Burst (augmented by the Bursting Flame skill) both still proc the CGC dot indefinitely but have a limit on the proccing of Swelting Heat (the slow skill that gives your CGC applications a 100% chance to proc the 30% slow for 2 seconds.)

One thing i've been noticing as advanced prototype. If they resist a tick of my retractable blade dot it removes the entire dot.

That would make a lot of sense. I thought my RB bleed was ending really quickly on some enemies... It's especially annoying when you go to rail shot someone in the face and all of a sudden RS greys out >.<

I wonder what it takes for something like this to get noticed.

It might be a while. Especially if you subscribe to the notion that Bioware hates bounty hunters/troopers, which I admit would explain a lot of things. I'm going to rate this thread and hope that it draws some further attention.

Edited by af_raptura

• Dev Post
I wonder what it takes for something like this to get noticed.

Today is your lucky day! I'm fixing the issue with Sweltering Heat as I type this.

As for the other issue reported: [Retractable Blade's bleeding effect disappears after a tick of damage is resisted] - I am not able to reproduce that. Whenever I see a resist, it keeps on ticking (unless it was the last tick of damage). However, if the initial kinetic damage from the blade is resisted, then the bleeding effect will not be applied - that is working as designed.

Today is your lucky day! I'm fixing the issue with Sweltering Heat as I type this.

As for the other issue reported: [Retractable Blade's bleeding effect disappears after a tick of damage is resisted] - I am not able to reproduce that. Whenever I see a resist, it keeps on ticking (unless it was the last tick of damage). However, if the initial kinetic damage from the blade is resisted, then the bleeding effect will not be applied - that is working as designed.

Have to admit, such a prompt response was not expected.

Thank you, I am sorry it had to come to complaining on the forums. If sweltering heat begins to function as I would infer from the tooltip, proccing on each CGC application, it will be a huge help in both kiting and catching your target.

David,

I did not see it mentioned in today's patch notes so it doesn't surprise me that this is not fixed at this time. Can you confirm that this is still slated to be fixed in an upcoming patch?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

David,

Any chance your fix will finally be implemented with the upcoming 2.1 patch on Tuesday?

David,

Any chance your fix will finally be implemented with the upcoming 2.1 patch on Tuesday?

By looking at the patch notes, it appears the answer to my question was no.

Edited by Evuo

Just keeping this bumped. It is a fantastic function that has alot of use if it's working. Our class has taken a large enough hit (specifically Pyro), please don't hit us while we are down by taking months to fix this.

Just keeping this bumped. It is a fantastic function that has alot of use if it's working. Our class has taken a large enough hit (specifically Pyro), please don't hit us while we are down by taking months to fix this.

Thanks,

It was appreciated that I received a response saying a fix is coming, I would just like to know when.