Why 6.x Hates the Guardian/Jugg Tank

OOOYYY

A number of bugs and quirks plague the Jugg/Guardian tank in 6.x.

First, the 6-piece set bonus for the class, Lord of Pain, is broken. It does not grant 5s shorter cool-down for the mass taunt, as advertised. So the big reward for reaching the class set bonus is mostly lost.

Second, both the mass taunt and the gap-closer for the class lack countdown timers. These abilities are crucial to running the class, but players can no longer see with precision when their cooldowns are running out. This is because they have been moved to the charge system -- but the charges perform no function.

Third, a key utility that allows the tank mobility to maintain threat on multiple targets (battlefield command/warmonger) is completely broken. Choosing the utility not only does not work, but it actually lengthens cooldown time on the gap-closer. Seeing as this utility is one of the most fun things about this class, it's a very sad loss.

Fourth, unlike every other class, the best tactical for this class (grit teeth) requires not only 700 in a particular crew skill, but also over 25 million in materials.

I haven't seen Bioware respond to any threads on any of these issues, so I assume they have no plans to fix them.

Edited by OOOYYY

I agree with a lot of these points, especially with fixing the set bonus and utility. The tactical item I find for PvE anyway, in most situations, leviathans hide is the one I go with. It's very rare i need a self heal more than once every 90 seconds in pve. For pvp tanking, grit teeth is without equal.

But it's ok BW is too busy making new sets to fix the ones they currently have. Priorities are obviously not us, unless you're a hardcore raider anyway.

Edited by KendraP

• 4 weeks later...
You're absolutely right, but that Grit Teeth one is new for me. If that's true, ew. Based on testing it seems that the Warmonger utility actually causes Force Charge to wait out the full 15 seconds, even if you're still in combat and need to leap to something that's disrupting your healer or the boss pushed you back. It's a complete disadvantage, and I'm hoping it gets fixed in 6.2, but I'm not holding my breath.

Jug tank is the best tank now. Even better then shadow.

Just ... use proper stuff. It shines with 4 pieces of Dxun set (no cd on retalation) and crafted by biochem tactical (30s heal to full cd).

Then it is killing - tank - machine. Just moves ahead through nonstop, don't dies, and does more damage then dps on mobs who attacks using weapons.

Wish I shadows had something like that.

P.S. you will need to balance surveillance by armor bonuses though too,

P.P.S If you have problems with keeping aggro on packs - use shield exploding set 4 pieces. This one is good for all tanks with healer. Once you get attacked you never lose aggro - automatic aoe, even if u're stunned.

P.P.P.S. Shadow tank has 0 tank-good sets, they just best with those common like shield exploding and 3% dmg reduction tactical :D So ...Juggs are in really good position. At least they may collect best set.

Edited by alexzk

I realize we're in a decent spot, but that is no reason to not fix the bugged utility (which the devs have no acknowledged) and set bonus (which they have).

Again, to cry about sins, go find a thread on sins

Oh and ps, I have no aggro issues on any of the tanks, and do agree that sins could use some better actual tanking ones. But that's a discussion for a sin thread. All I want are bugs fixed for my class.

Edited by KendraP

I realize we're in a decent spot, but that is no reason to not fix the bugged utility (which the devs have no acknowledged) and set bonus (which they have).

Again, to cry about sins, go find a thread on sins

Oh and ps, I have no aggro issues on any of the tanks, and do agree that sins could use some better actual tanking ones. But that's a discussion for a sin thread. All I want are bugs fixed for my class.

Not sure about bugs. Play it 1-2 days/week. Doing CQ - that's like 5-10 fps. Some days can do pvp. See no bugs there, maybe I just used working masteries. Overall seems dynamic and cool tank.

Not sure about bugs. Play it 1-2 days/week. Doing CQ - that's like 5-10 fps. Some days can do pvp. See no bugs there, maybe I just used working masteries. Overall seems dynamic and cool tank.

The lord of pain set bonus is broken, and this has been acknowledged by the devs. In addition the utility that reduces leap cd on damage taken is broken.

I play the class practically daily as I have over 20 guardians.

The lord of pain set bonus is broken, and this has been acknowledged by the devs. In addition the utility that reduces leap cd on damage taken is broken.

I play the class practically daily as I have over 20 guardians.

Are you sure about leap cd? I can't believe, because my tank jumps much more often then sentinel during fight. Maybe it gets broken if you get more charges there...

....and btw, about time showed on chargeable abilities - it is for all classes, shadows can't see stealth cd now, for example. It's just broken design for all.

P.P.S If you have problems with keeping aggro on packs - use shield exploding set 4 pieces. This one is good for all tanks with healer. Once you get attacked you never lose aggro - automatic aoe, even if u're stunned.

The only worse setup you could have is to run without set bonus at all. Trishin's is so bad that I don't understand how can you even consider using it.

If one has aggro problems, he should just run more offensive stats or just equip Descent of Fearless set - that gives you actual damage. Or, well, learn how to use his abilities better - aggro is not a problem in any way right now. Tanks have ton of threat. Recommending Trishin's? Just no.

Edited by Equeliber

The only worse setup you could have is to run without set bonus at all. Trishin's is so bad that I don't understand how can you even consider using it.

If one has aggro problems, he should just run more offensive stats or just equip Descent of Fearless set - that gives you actual damage. Or, well, learn how to use his abilities better - aggro is not a problem in any way right now. Tanks have ton of threat. Recommending Trishin's? Just no.

Not sure why you dislike it. It is about 20% of own dps if used on packs, at least for shadows I calculated, just because it works while you stunned/pushed/on cd. Also in 70 content it does 4 times less damage then in 75. For example in pvp/uprising each explosion does 1200 dmg. For 8 targets it is 9000 almost. Each 2-3 seconds with 50% chance shield.

Better then that is only retaliation with no-cd. Sometimes I need to spam it faster then i can click button.

Edited by alexzk

Are you sure about leap cd? I can't believe, because my tank jumps much more often then sentinel during fight. Maybe it gets broken if you get more charges there...

....and btw, about time showed on chargeable abilities - it is for all classes, shadows can't see stealth cd now, for example. It's just broken design for all.

I have no idea how to prove it to you, but yes the utility is bugged. If your sent is jumping less, perhaps you're confusing the leap goes off cd when exiting combat utility with the leap cd reduced when attacked utility.

And I wasn't the one complaining about the fact "charged" abilities don't show a cd anymore, though I do find it annoying. The leap one in particular because we don't even get charges of leap, sents do.. I would also point out I didn't name the thread, I would've just called it something like "please fix bugged set bonus and utility". But I don't see the point making a thread when one complaining about the same thing exists already.

Edited by KendraP