Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Pve damage compared to other classes?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Sage / Sorcerer
Pve damage compared to other classes?

Mashugana
11.20.2017 , 01:24 PM | #11
So what is the standard single target priority? Do you just spam Lightning Bolt and Lightning Flash? Or do you go through the whole setup of applying Crushing Darkness > Affliction > Thundering Blast > Shock to get all the extra damage?

Groups are easy - I just alternate Lightning Storm and Chain Lightning. But I have not found a grove for taking single targets that does not feel overly complex.

Thanks again

Screenplay
11.22.2017 , 04:12 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Mashugana View Post
So what is the standard single target priority? Do you just spam Lightning Bolt and Lightning Flash? Or do you go through the whole setup of applying Crushing Darkness > Affliction > Thundering Blast > Shock to get all the extra damage?

Groups are easy - I just alternate Lightning Storm and Chain Lightning. But I have not found a grove for taking single targets that does not feel overly complex.

Thanks again
Your go-to ability, the pivot of the spec, is Lightning Bolt. With this in mind you only have a few more things to think about.

You should prioritize your ability usage like this:
1. Affliction on target
2. Thundering Blast
3. Crushing Darkness (ONLY with cast reduction)
4. Lightning Flash
5. Shock (ONLY with Crushing Darkness on target)
6. Chain Lightning (ONLY with Instant Proc)

If all of the above are checked off/on cooldown, then you hit that pivot, Lightning Bolt.

A standard opener on a single target without using offensive cooldowns would look like this:
Crushing Darkness > Affliction > Thundering Blast > Chain Lightning > Lightning Flash > Spam Lightning Bolt

If you are fighting a Champion-Gold-Silver border mob and have time to pre-cast Crushing Darkness on an enemy, do it. This is because when you start out of combat, you have all the time in the world to get the 2-Second cast off so why not? It applies a debuff to the target for 45 seconds that will increase the damage of all the rest of your abilities. The next thing you press is Affliction because it is instant and makes TB an automatic crit, and because your other abilities (CD and CL) refresh Affliction on the target meaning you never have to press Affliction again. With this opening you have already hit the target TWICE without taking any aggro or damage.

Disclaimers:
1. If you are already in combat and do not have the luxury to pre-cast Crushing Darkness, then just follow the above priority instead of trying to do the aforementioned "opener" on a new target. It is a total waste of time to hard-cast without the reduction if already in combat.
2. Never use Shock unless; Crushing Darkness is applied; you have to move; or the target will die before you would be able to cast another Lightning Bolt... It does less damage than Lightning Bolt and provides no other benefit otherwise.
3. Never hard-cast Chain Lightning, only use it when it's instant proc.

It's really not overly complex, once you practice it a few times it will become second nature.

Hope this was helpful

-Proverb-
Apophasis

GrimWulf
12.04.2017 , 09:56 PM | #13
Sorc is most definalty the crap class of SWTOR. Sorc should be one of the most powerful in the Universe but its been nerved into nothing.
Go play a Merc if you want to rip things part.

At last we will reveal ourselves to the Jedi. At last we will have revenge...

StrikePrice
12.17.2017 , 01:25 AM | #14
DPS is low for sure. But TTK small groups of silver and gold stars in Heroics is on par with other classes. I use Madness ... dot/dot/dot spread aoe/force storm aoe until all dead does the trick. FL down any golds that live. CL/FS works well too tho.