The new cooldown display for abilities

septru

Can you please change the new cooldown display for charged abilities. It is really bad. Most of us who play quickly glance down at our quickbar, think the ability if off cooldown and press it only to find out we are wrong.

Edit:

Yes. Sorry for the confusion. I did not know the correct terminology for the new UI on abilities with two charges. But

to reaffirm what has already been stated by man in this thread, by display I mean the new clock animation. I will update the first post, accordingly.

Edited by septru

Assuming I understand your issue...the good news is...BW has acknowledged this point.

Hey folks,

The team is looking into abilities not lightning up as intended. I will pass on more info as I have it and thank you for your reports.

-eric

Assuming I understand your issue...the good news is...BW has acknowledged this point.

Ye, it's frikkin annoying. Luckily I've played this game long enough that it only affects me in a limited way but even the distance to target takes 1-2 seconds to update. Even though they don't light up as quickly as they should you can at least still use the skills even when dark, but it's definitely annoying.

Something weird with the GUI for sure, hope they'll fix it soon now that they've at least acknowledged it.

no, the problem is that abilities with a charge don't show the cooldown text countdown anymore even if the option is selected in the gui nor do they show the countdown in the tooltip when you hover onto them. it's very problematic, especially for abilities that synch with others, like force cloak for recklessness in Deception.

no, the problem is that abilities with a charge don't show the cooldown text countdown anymore even if the option is selected in the gui nor do they show the countdown in the tooltip when you hover onto them. it's very problematic, especially for abilities that synch with others, like force cloak for recklessness in Deception.

So, in other words, I was right.

Dasty

That's another issue that I have with force charge for example. I do think that the issues are related however.

Ye, it's frikkin annoying. Luckily I've played this game long enough that it only affects me in a limited way but even the distance to target takes 1-2 seconds to update. Even though they don't light up as quickly as they should you can at least still use the skills even when dark, but it's definitely annoying.

Something weird with the GUI for sure, hope they'll fix it soon now that they've at least acknowledged it.

Imagine if you are a new player or some who clicks or trying to learn a new class (like my wife is trying to do)

Imagine if you are a new player or some who clicks or trying to learn a new class (like my wife is trying to do)

Horrible. That's why I feel lucky knowing my rotations and all that. Without that knowledge/experience I probably would have to quit playing till this was fixed.

That’s not what Prum is saying, it’s the actual timer animation for the charges that looks bad. And I totally agree.

But I also understand what you are saying because I’ve made a bug thread on it too.

Horrible. That's why I feel lucky knowing my rotations and all that. Without that knowledge/experience I probably would have to quit playing till this was fixed.

Absolutely, I was trying to teach my wife how to play a guardian. I’ve been calling out what to press next so she knows what should be up. It makes it hard that she’s a clicker, so I can’t just call out letters or numbers

If you were a new player and didn’t know it was bugged, I’d probably uninstall, I can’t believe they’ve let it go all weekend with no fix.

It’s also max population prime time on the weekends and more people are being exposed to this problem. There is a lesson in that. Don’t release patches like this so close to the weekend if you aren’t going to work through and fix bugs if they happen.

Flash patches at any time are ok to fix quick bugs, but ones that change abilities and Armor sets are bound to have problems and Bioware should know that by now and run a risk assessment (which I’m sure they don’t).

That’s not what Prum is saying, it’s the actual timer animation for the charges that looks bad. And I totally agree.

But I also understand what you are saying because I’ve made a bug thread on it too.

I would like to call a reset. Trixxie and I have disagreed on many things, but when she says I'm factually wrong on a base point, I believer her.

Dasty

Can you please change the new cooldown display for charged abilities. It is really bad. Most of us who play quickly glance down at our quickbar, think the ability if off cooldown and press it only to find out we are wrong.

I totally agree.

If you're talking about replacing the stupid clock with the cooldown timer text that we had before, I'm behind you 1000% percent. I hate the clock, soooooo much.

no? cooldown text is a thing, abilities lighting up when they're available is another.

Yes and no. I suspect that there is a problem with the game updating the GUI to reflect what's going on and that could be the problem for both text and visuals.

Yes and no. I suspect that there is a problem with the game updating the GUI to reflect what's going on and that could be the problem for both text and visuals.

this is certainly possible. however the not lighting up issue came up with the latest patch afaik, while the lack of text goes back to the pts.

Edited by nyrkverse

That’s also my assessment. Theyve made a change to the GUI animation (charged abilities) and also have some tactical's that would be affecting those too.

This always seems to happen when they change things for the sake of change. This clock wasn’t needed and it’s my guess that’s what causing the grayed out abilities and activation lag.

Of all of the random annoying changes, this one is actively infuriating. If nothing else, you should be able to mouse over and read the second countdown in the pop up window to the side. Been taking my guardian through KOTFE, and waiting for the clock to tick down without any concrete feedback makes the delay feel like it's a thousand times longer. Knowing something is five seconds vs. some indeterminate clock hand rotating makes me feel just a little bit more in control.

Guess I'm weird like that :D

Is this about the clock animation? Cause honestly i prefer that to having lots of numbers on the UI.

I am perfectly happy with it, besides the fact that it seems to be erratic. Shows up sometimes and not others.

Is this about the clock animation? Cause honestly i prefer that to having lots of numbers on the UI.

I am perfectly happy with it, besides the fact that it seems to be erratic. Shows up sometimes and not others.

the clock animation is not the problem per se. the problem is that when you have "show cooldown text" selected in the UI (default setting is disabled), it doesn't show the cooldown text on top of it like it used to do with the old effect.

That’s also my assessment. Theyve made a change to the GUI animation (charged abilities) and also have some tactical's that would be affecting those too.

This always seems to happen when they change things for the sake of change. This clock wasn’t needed and it’s my guess that’s what causing the grayed out abilities and activation lag.

As far as I'm concerned they can take the whole "charges" thing out with abilities. Force charge is such an annoyance atm (even when it was showing properly before last patch) that it's turned me off playing my juggernauts/guardian. I have to wait on force charge now when I didn't have to before which means my flow is definitely broken and this patch didn't create that problem but made it worse rather.

I think there are other ways they could deal with charges like they did with the operative/scoundrel roll and reducing cooldowns or having a skill that doubles the effect in some way etc. So far I think this whole charges thing has not been a benefit to the gameplay, even without this GUI bug issue.

No that's a different issue, where the UI has a delay in updating (which is preventing activations)

THIS issue is about the new Charge timer overlay overriding the cooldown text (and not looking like it's on cooldown)... even when the ability doesn't have multiple charges.

It should be an option in settings at least for those of us who prefer the old blue sliding cooldown.

the clock animation is not the problem per se. the problem is that when you have "show cooldown text" selected in the UI (default setting is disabled), it doesn't show the cooldown text on top of it like it used to do with the old effect.

For me personally it's both the lack of timers and the look of the animation. If the button were coloured like the default cooldown animation and just had a clock instead of a slider I'd be much more ok with it. As it is it's hard to see it in the heat of battle.