Skank comparison in PvP, Jugg vs PT

Floplag

OK so ive been leveling some alts now that i got the main to 300 CXP and im going melee to go the complete opposite spectrum from my main. The idea of this intrigues me as its something ive really never done. So.. i wonder if those who have done this on various classes can give a quick breakdown of them?

This is more specifically more relevant to Jugg/Warr vs PT/VG as im not really into shadow style of play, its just a personal choice. Also this isnt really about what it means to Skank, i get that part, im looking m,ore for analytics on the results mostly pertaining to PvP.

I've seen some Jugg skanks put up ridiculous numbers in PvP beating most DPS, though i dont typically observe this in PTs, perhaps because there seem to be so few of them in comparison. Is the potential output that different or is that pure coincidence?

Anyway if anyone has thoughts and a basic comparison of the 2 in this scope i would appreciate it.

Thanks

A good skank is just that... a tank in dps gear of some variety. I run a guardian skank, but I have a vanguard too.

To settle a few common misperceptions.

1. You are sacrificing dps/killing ability for survivability. If you do more damage on the board at the end it's basically guaranteed aoe fluff. I've topped the damage board as a skank... standing by a door in voidstar with 4 people trying to spam cap spamming my aoe to stop the cap. Guess what? Non of them died. They also couldn't kill me.

2. You are a tank first and foremost. I can't stand the skanks I see playacting dps like they're going to kill something all by themselves. Be at the busiest place possible, guard whoever is taking damage, taunt as much as possible, and CC away. Then if no one is dying, help with damage. A tanks job is primarily yo keep the team alive. You and a healer can be a major annoyance factor against anywhere from 4-8 players depending on how good they are.

As of this moment, guardians have the advantage over VG because of our better defensive cooldowns. That said, I've had PT tanks out protect me, so fundamentally it comes down to which class you prefer to play.

Yea the damage part i already figured, much like dot spread classes put up number while hitting like a wet noodle at times. You hit enough people with a noodle it adds up. But im checking highest single target hits and such it becomes pretty clear how they reach those numbers.

I do find it interesting though that PT tanks dont seem to do that, i assume due to less spread mechanics.

Tank first is a given, but being able to put out anything near dps levels of damage in a huge bonus. PvE leveling wise that would seem to be absurdly easy.

Im leaning toward Jugg as it seems the more complete toolkit with the screams and such

Edited by Floplag

• 3 weeks later...
OK so ive been leveling some alts now that i got the main to 300 CXP and im going melee to go the complete opposite spectrum from my main. The idea of this intrigues me as its something ive really never done. So.. i wonder if those who have done this on various classes can give a quick breakdown of them?

This is more specifically more relevant to Jugg/Warr vs PT/VG as im not really into shadow style of play, its just a personal choice. Also this isnt really about what it means to Skank, i get that part, im looking m,ore for analytics on the results mostly pertaining to PvP.

I've seen some Jugg skanks put up ridiculous numbers in PvP beating most DPS, though i dont typically observe this in PTs, perhaps because there seem to be so few of them in comparison. Is the potential output that different or is that pure coincidence?

Anyway if anyone has thoughts and a basic comparison of the 2 in this scope i would appreciate it.

Thanks

PT tank with 2 buttons can do the same amount of damage as jugg does with 10. But your single target is kinda meh and dcds are not that good. Overall for solo ranked jugg is better to deal with ranged dps, PT with melee. For team ranked jugg for hardswitch comp and PT for derp.

PT tank with 2 buttons can do the same amount of damage as jugg does with 10. But your single target is kinda meh and dcds are not that good. Overall for solo ranked jugg is better to deal with ranged dps, PT with melee. For team ranked jugg for hardswitch comp and PT for derp.

don't forget PT tank to have trauma on like at least half of the other team constantly

• 4 weeks later...

I have to disagree with some of the comments:

A skank can definitely win 1v1 ( unless you fighting an operative)

Placing one on the scoreboard is not due to "fluff damage." Fluff damage, in my view is anything that is under 9k and affects multiple targets. Your AOE damage is big, unless affected by a DCD ( which is irrelevant since any damage affected by a DCD will be reduced).

Your primary goal is the objective, i.e., it is more important to stop a cap / cap a node than to guard a comrade under focus ( though this can be done simultaneously).

I would, also, wager that "tanking" is the last thing on the priority system, ceteris paribus. This is largely because tanking and DPS-ing can be done simultaneously.

My experiences...

Jug has additional stuns and some hard hitting abilities that can be simply maximized by pushing crit. You’d be more than capable of steam rolling newer players, people who don’t know their classes and mildly annoying mildly better players with better DCDs. People who know what they’re doing will dot and kite your butt to oblivion. But it is a simpler skank class to PVP with.

Power tech is an AOE tank, fundamentally. Our main dps hard hit is a cone cleave. You gain defensive resistance and damage on targets through ‘small print’ buffs and debugged via passives you’d have to get really good at maximizing(trauma has been brought up). I like it because it has some sweet peeling possibilities. But 1v1 it is super hard to manage and embarrassing as hell for the dps I solo kill. Also, to resist PT tunneling(which will happen a lot without a nearby healer), you really should vest into boosting your HP pool as high as possible. It’s fun for support on good teams or premades, but solo queuing...yeah, that’s why you don’t see them often in unranked.

• 6 months later...
  • 6 months later...

As someone who mains a pt tank in hm/nim raids and ranked pvp the jugg tank is a very clear winner in terms of pvp. Assuming both players are at equal skill level the jugg tank will give you more milage. Lets take a look

1. The jugg hits like a truck skanked. It is not uncommon to see 29-33k hit from these tanks. Pt relies on a cleave that got nerfed not to long ago and will sometimes hit for 22-25k. Sometimes being the key word because hero engine sucks with all the syncing. There will be people in your cleave and wont take dmg sometimes which costs dps.

2. Dcds on a jugg are unmatched, have fairly short cooldowns and take alot lf pressure off your healers. Pt dont have **** and when the pressure is on it is hard to recover. Kolto overload can be bursted through.

4. Hard swap is king against good teams. Cleaves require alot to go write and if they have ranged in their comp well good luck cleaving good ranged players. Jugg fills that hard swap comp very well.

5. Jugg has more utility, alot more. Intercede, intimidating scream, mad dash, reflect, chilling scream, ravage root bring much more to the table then the pt. Hydraulics doesn’t last long enough and has a long cool down, carbonize requires good insync teamates to utilize, shoulder cannon heal is a joke. Sonic rebounder is okay best utility. Flame burst snare is useless against most good players.

6. Pt can’t carry like a juggernaut can. If another good 4’s team or team wants to shut a dps down, stun lock or taunt off cooldown, juggs can pick up the slack prety easily. If they want to do that to your healer juggs have the dcds to gusrd hop with less worry. (Srry for spelling errors typed from phone).

We can go into pvp details of x comp vs x comp. And i main a pt tank. I have a mitigated set, skank set, and a dps set. This has been my experiance in regs, ranked, group ranked. Yeah if players are worse then you, then yeah pt is gonna feel strong against them. But you fan say that with any class. But a good jugg player will have a very high chance to ruin your day. I will say the pt fills cleave comps well so if thats your jam then you can have some fun. I always sayolay the class that you find fun (why i play pt) but as a pvper that stuff is still gonna happen.

Edited by steveerkcanjerk

• 3 months later...