Why the Prequel Trilogy was TERRIBLE, right here!

Gun_Slinger

And one of my main reasons why I liked the sequels was, Jedis, Jedis, Jedis.

I got hyped when Obi wan talked about the Jedi before they were extinct, and combine this with novels and comics, I was excited to see multiple Jedis on screen.

Oh my god, YES! The OT didn't have enough Jedis. Like, no Jedis at all. And all those comics and novels how the rest of them are being destroyed in horrble ways make me a sad panda beause I really like Jedis... I like the Clone Wars too (don't judge me D: )

Also a good reason for me to hate the Yuuzhan Vong times. Why would someone create an ugly race that just comes and destroys the galaxy we loved so much? Why?

But again, just my opinion.

Edited by Mechavomit

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I disagree with this guys point of view on characters...

He has a segment where you must describe a character without saying his name or anything like costumes.

On the Queen everyone says "that's impossible" no actually.. She's strong, believes in doing what's right, loves her planet, will do anything to protect what she believes in....

Thanks to Red Letter Media I dont even consider the prequels part of the Star Wars Universe anymore. Everything that was stated in those reviews are %100 truth. To me, the only reason those movies were even made was to bulk up George Lucas' bank account.

.... Look what he did with Indiana Jones.

I agree. Why, before I saw RLM, I actually had the audacity to have my own opinion on whether and how much I enjoyed the prequels. But now, thanks to him, I don't have to think for myself anymore! I can have someone else decide for me whether I liked something or not.

What a wonderful time we live in!

Phantom Menace

Plot: Stop the invasion of a innocent planet from that is instigated by the Sith who wish to destroy the Jedi and the Republic.

The whole war was the main plot. Saving the planet from the Trade Federation.

Everything in between, like Darth Sideous and Darth Maul's actions, as well as the finding of Anakin Skywalker is to built up for the rest of the movies to follow up to complete the sequel trilogy of star wars.

I figured this out when I was in 7th grade by the way, long before I considered myself a "star wars fan"

Granted, this was probably better for a book then an actual movie.

And no, as long as someone likes something that is considered art, there's no such thing as bad art. I also dislike Twilight but a lot of people seem to like it, who am I to say that Twilight is a POS as if it was a fact.

Again LIKING something is an OPINION. Telling if something is POORLY MADE OR JUST BAD CAN BE A FACT.

By your definition then anything can be art.

by your definition this is a good bridge because someone enjoys it and therefore is art

btw you didn't explain to me who the Protagonist and the Antagonist are in TPM.

Edited by jarjarloves

I'm going to try and get through this review, again. But honestly I'm 42 seconds in, and I feel like blowing my face off. Why does he sound so friggin' depressing? Christ alive, If I talked like that about everything of course people are going to see the negative stuff In everything.

EDIT: I failed, I cannot stand that guy. Yes he makes some valid points, he also makes some less valid points. But why on earth do we need so many links to those blasted reviews?

And why does this thread need such an aggressive title? For crying out loud If some people enjoy the prequel trilogy why make a thread that absolutely claims the entire prequel trilogy suck, based on someone elses opinion?

Why not just let some people hate them, and some people enjoy them?

Edited by SammyRath

He has valid points, they make sense, but i like to have my opinion on movies, the prequels arent great, but theyre watchable, somethings dont add up to those who overanalyse and need every point to add up but its still watchable, fan, diehard fan, whatever.

Hell, half the major complaints of the original trilogy i didnt even know existed as complaints until i experienced the hardcore fans of the EU and such, just like any other movie series, game series, whatever, call them hardcore fans, true fans, whatever, they dislike somehing and assume casual movie watchers also give a ****

Edited by Dave_Bodom

Qui-Gon is the protagonist and Sidious is the antagonist. A ten year old could tell you this.

If the main plot is the invasion of Naboo shouldn't the Trade Fedration leaders be the antagonist? Not some mystery hologram who says a couple of words every now and then?

How is Qui-Gon the pro..ro.protagonist? He has no character development whatsoever and DIES.

If the main plot is the invasion of Naboo shouldn't the Trade Fedration leaders be the antagonist? Not some mystery hologram who says a couple of words every now and then?

How is Qui-Gon the pro..ro.protagonist? He has no character development whatsoever and DIES.

Really. You are seriously trying to tell us that the guy pulling all the strings behind the scenes isn't the antagonist, and that the guy making all the decisions while fighting the Trade Federation isn't the protagonist?

I think you need to go and look up what those words mean again.

" around whom the events of the narrative's plot revolve and with whom the audience is intended to most identify. "

???????? Qui-Gon?

The bolded is the definition of a protagonist. The latter? Not even close. Audience identification has nothing to do with whether someone is the protagonist or not.

So, yes.

!!!!!!!! Qui-Gon!

Oh my god, YES! The OT didn't have enough Jedis. Like, no Jedis at all. And all those comics and novels how the rest of them are being destroyed in horrble ways make me a sad panda beause I really like Jedis... I like the Clone Wars too (don't judge me D: )

Also a good reason for me to hate the Yuuzhan Vong times. Why would someone create an ugly race that just comes and destroys the galaxy we loved so much? Why?

But again, just my opinion.

I think the reason you two LIKE them is the reason a lot of others HATE them. Jedis...Jedis...Jedis...BOOOOORING! Sorry but to me a universe full of Jedi wandering around using the force to do everything with ease and hand waiving their way through security checkpoints takes all the fun out of it. Not to mention part of the GREATNESS of Luke's storyline in the OT was the whole "last of the jedi" thing. People weren't ready for it when you lit up a lightsaber in a cantina, it was like, holy ****! what the hell is THAT! Whereas in the prequels it's more like, ohhhhhh....a jedi......wonder who effed with the Senate today.....

And in response to the Vong era question...to add...you know...some texture and drama to the star wars universe. I personally thought that series added a lot of depth, wish it hand't been retconned so much.

Just my Opinion on both points, and people, don't take the title of the thread the wrong way, Its just designed to bring people in...I think they were TERRIBLE...and I think they were objectively terrible, but its my opinion that I think they were objectively terrible...I won't judge you for liking them. Okay I might. A little....

Edited by Gun_Slinger

I'm going to try and get through this review, again. But honestly I'm 42 seconds in, and I feel like blowing my face off. Why does he sound so friggin' depressing? Christ alive, If I talked like that about everything of course people are going to see the negative stuff In everything.

EDIT: I failed, I cannot stand that guy. Yes he makes some valid points, he also makes some less valid points. But why on earth do we need so many links to those blasted reviews?

And why does this thread need such an aggressive title? For crying out loud If some people enjoy the prequel trilogy why make a thread that absolutely claims the entire prequel trilogy suck, based on someone elses opinion?

Why not just let some people hate them, and some people enjoy them?

You admittedly didn't watch the entire review but feel like you could actually comment on it? Yep, you're a perfect example of the target audience for those films to begin with. Enjoy filling up Lucas' pockets if that's what you want.

I kinda liked ep 1, tho' ep 3 was seriously bad. Overall idea was good, so was story in general, but then lots of **** things were made (like Yoda simply running from Palpatine, despite advantage, or too much of Anakin x Padme love story, while too little of Anakin relations with Chancellor). As for ep 2, it was ok, had some bad moments, but generally was ok.

As for acting I liked Dooku, Yoda, Obi-wan and Palp, tho' Padme and Anakin were... more awful than awful.

As for review itself, it was ******, not only guy's voice was freakin' annoying, but he also compares things obviously different. Why didn't he compare C3PO with Jar Jar? And why the heck compare Solo with Qui-Gon, who only appeared in 1 movie and surely was not main char or even close. Not to mention people who described characters were 100% original trilogy hardcore fans, I could say more about both Amidala and Qui-Gon (even if I don't like Padme).

Why didn't he compare beginning of Empire Strikes back with Phantom Manace? They were kinda similar, weren't they?

As we're in the topic of prequel trilogy, did you notice that every piece of republic equipment has Imperial marks? Maybe something has changed since ToR/KotOR, but it looks like a mistake.

You admittedly didn't watch the entire review but feel like you could actually comment on it?

You're not really addressing the points I made based on the parts I watched, but merely attacking the idea that i didn't watch the entire thing. My comment was based on the parts I watched, and I also admittedly agreed with the guy on some points he made.

But because I could not endure an entire review with that voice, even the parts I comment on that i did manage to watch, and agree with, are invalid simply because I didn't watch it to the end?

Yep, you're a perfect example of the target audience for those films to begin with.

.... People who don't watch reviews to end, and conform to whatever opinion the reviewer presents?

I know, and agree with some points he makes, some of them are completely valid, but I still enjoy all the Star Wars movies, prequel or not. Am I not allowed to enjoy the movies I want to enjoy because some guy with a depression, and a kidnapped cheerleader in his basement says otherwise?

Enjoy filling up Lucas' pockets if that's what you want.

I was going to make a sarcastic remark to finish off, but that comment Is just way to ignorant.

Seriously, not ever did I even remotely insinuate that was my deepest desire.

Not to mention people who described characters were 100% original trilogy hardcore fans, I could say more about both Amidala and Qui-Gon (even if I don't like Padme).

Out of sheer curiosity, HOW would you describe Qui-Gon and Amidala (without mentioning their appearence or occupation etc, as in the video)?

It's not an "aggressive" question or anything. Just that the video got me thinking and I personally couldn't find any exact words to describe these 2 :p

Edited by KaL_InvictuS

Out of sheer curiosity, HOW would you describe Qui-Gon and Amidala (without mentioning their appearence or occupation etc, as in the video)?

It's not an "aggressive" question or anything. Just that the video got me thinking and I personally couldn't find any exact words to describe these 2 :p

I couldn't discribe them either. I never got WHY these characters where in the movies at all... I found them pointless... as was kiddo Anakin, Jarjar and almost all other chars from EP1.^^ Why couldn't they make the movie about a twenty something, newly appointed Jedi Obi-Wan on his way to meeting a teenage Anakin prior to the Clone Wars?

There's another thread about this, but I'm not gonna bury this link in there for no one to see. If you want to know why those movies are really just absolutely terrible, from the perspective of a star wars fan, from the perspective of a film critic, and from the perspective of a person who prefers logic to da da, follow this link, and prepare to laugh histerically, and also hate george lucas forever:

http://redlettermedia.com/plinkett/star-wars/star-wars-episode-1-the-phantom-menace/

Hahaha, thats my thread! :D

You're not really addressing the points I made based on the parts I watched, but merely attacking the idea that i didn't watch the entire thing. My comment was based on the parts I watched, and I also admittedly agreed with the guy on some points he made.

But because I could not endure an entire review with that voice, even the parts I comment on that i did manage to watch, and agree with, are invalid simply because I didn't watch it to the end?

You didn't bring up a single specific example of anything you agreed or disagreed with in your post. This is a classic indicator of ignorance: speaking only in general terms.

I know, and agree with some points he makes, some of them are completely valid, but I still enjoy all the Star Wars movies, prequel or not. Am I not allowed to enjoy the movies I want to enjoy because some guy with a depression, and a kidnapped cheerleader in his basement says otherwise?

I'm still waiting for you to bring up those specific examples.

I was going to make a sarcastic remark to finish off, but that comment Is just way to ignorant.

Seriously, not ever did I even remotely insinuate that was my deepest desire.

I added the words "...if you want." to that last statement for a reason. You really have to read everything before you post.

Amidala? Little inexperienced, wants to be strong queen and is not afraid of anything if it's supposed to help her people (and later, Republic). Also got that kind of "*****" attitude.

As for Qui-Gon? Well he surely believes in his student and is like an older brother to him (which kinda goes to Obi-Wan as well, he even states Anakin was like brother to him), also he's not afraid to use Force for his agenda, what he did in dice scene to get Anakin would be considered path to darkness/corruption by many Jedi, which shows his distance and open mind toward rules of Order.

I could prolly say more if I rewatched movies, which I didn't do for a while.

Amidala? Little inexperienced, wants to be strong queen and is not afraid of anything if it's supposed to help her people (and later, Republic). Also got that kind of "*****" attitude.

As for Qui-Gon? Well he surely believes in his student and is like an older brother to him (which kinda goes to Obi-Wan as well, he even states Anakin was like brother to him), also he's not afraid to use Force for his agenda, what he did in dice scene to get Anakin would be considered path to darkness/corruption by many Jedi, which shows his distance and open mind toward rules of Order.

I could prolly say more if I rewatched movies, which I didn't do for a while.

You mentioned Amidalas profession, and also described almost nothing about her actualy character except something about attitude i cant guess from context.

You also mentioned Qui-Gons profession (student implies hes a teacher, Force implies hes a jedi, ergo, profession) And for the dice, pretty sure thats a move Obi-wan and other Jedi would do in a similar situation (granted obiwan being his apprentice and what not).

So, you basically said nothing about either of their characters int he 2 paragraphs you wrote.

You mentioned Amidalas profession, and also described almost nothing about her actualy character except something about attitude i cant guess from context.

You also mentioned Qui-Gons profession (student implies hes a teacher, Force implies hes a jedi, ergo, profession) And for the dice, pretty sure thats a move Obi-wan and other Jedi would do in a similar situation (granted obiwan being his apprentice and what not).

So, you basically said nothing about either of their characters int he 2 paragraphs you wrote.

Calling Han a scoundrel/rogue also implies his profession. You don't call a Jedi or Trooper this way.

I think I said enough about their personalities, unless you don't understand what you read (no offence meant).

And I'm pretty sure Yoda or Windu would simply let go not being sure if he really is the chosen one, not to mention that they'd probably say something like 'if he's the foretold child Force will guide him to us eventually', as would most of masters.

Edit: and the reason why I mentioned their professions is that you should explain/argument your views/opinions. At least that's what they taught me in high school literature classes.

Edited by RuffDaRuffest