How to Become a Contender: Supplemental(Bolster, PvP Gear, and You)

L-RANDLE

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 645
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also you should check out my video on how to bolster correctly here

You can find the thread for my video here http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=797369

Also I have a video scheduled for this coming Friday 27th Feb which showcases the difference between fighting with 1000 expertise as if you were in full pve gear unbolstered in a warzone and being in full PvP gear with the cap 2018 expertise so keep an eye out for that it is actually very interesting to actually see the difference in a 1v1. You can also subscribe to my channel to be notified for this and future videos. Bringing 3 videos a week for PvP

IcyKill's thread on the comment before me is also very informative.

Thanks

EDIT: This is the video to show the difference between doing PvP with 1000 expertise against someone with 2018 expertise.

Edited by Quinan

Also you should check out my video on how to bolster correctly here

You can find the thread for my video here http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=797369

Also I have a video scheduled for this coming Friday 27th Feb which showcases the difference between fighting with 1000 expertise as if you were in full pve gear unbolstered in a warzone and being in full PvP gear with the cap 2018 expertise so keep an eye out for that it is actually very interesting to actually see the difference in a 1v1. You can also subscribe to my channel to be notified for this and future videos. Bringing 3 videos a week for PvP

IcyKill's thread on the comment before me is also very informative.

Thanks

EDIT: This is the video to show the difference between doing PvP with 1000 expertise against someone with 2018 expertise.

I'll update the main page today. It's long overdue, and I will make it more general so it's somewhat "patch proof".

Thanks to Icy and Quin for keeping the faith. I finally "got over" the devs being turds by offering very little in communication, transparency, and ACTION(based on community feedback, particularly with PVP) when 3.0 dropped, so I am willing to look out for the community since the devs can't be bothered to implement a system to make PvP grow and be progression based at the same time.

So, if I was an impatient player, what greens should I use? 162 or 168? Sorry if this has been answered already but what I found mainly discussed purples rather than greens, which are apparently different despite having identical ratings.

EDIT: Apparently you can literally just buy 162 purple gear for basic comms on the fleet. I'll do that, but for future reference (since pulling all those mods out does cost a bit) I'd still be interested in your answer to the question at the top of the post :)

Edited by idnewton

So, if I was an impatient player, what greens should I use? 162 or 168? Sorry if this has been answered already but what I found mainly discussed purples rather than greens, which are apparently different despite having identical ratings.

EDIT: Apparently you can literally just buy 162 purple gear for basic comms on the fleet. I'll do that, but for future reference (since pulling all those mods out does cost a bit) I'd still be interested in your answer to the question at the top of the post :)

Get all the "free gear" you can at or slightly below the bolster cutoff. On my level 50 toon, Ill wear my crafted 156 purples until I replace with BIS PVP gear. YES, BIS PVP gear! Check the updated front page...

FRONT PAGE UPDATED LADIES AND GENTS!!! Lemme know if I need to address anything!

THERE IS ZERO EXCUSE NOT TO BE AT LESS THAN 1900EXP IN A WZ, EVER!

I assume you mean either zero excuse TO BE less than 1900 EXP or zero excuse NOT TO BE at or above 1900 in a WZ. :) Well, "zero excuse to be at not less than 1900 EXP" would be the minimal change, but reads a bit awkwardly.

And you might want to specify ranked/unranked, if expectations are different -- I got yelled at for "only" being 1950ish on my op last season (b/c I was using the oldest (145/150) PVE 2-piece set bonus.

Edited by eartharioch

how to be a contender???

really....how about you start the forum is...how to hack the game....

because I go into pvp..and you know what I see most...people who speed hack the game....I am tired of reporting these idiots and then days later...see them still playing the game....

you know what is best for to do...just leave SWTor for good....go back to WoW....

in WoW...if you use any kind of hack...you get banned for a certain amount of time...here...SWTor just cares about getting Sub's money....I tell you what...if you do or do not see what I see...be sure to say something....

otherwise..this guide is total bs....because of in the pvp real...the Cherry poppers seem to think it is required to hack as much as possible....sick of the bs...

how to be a contender???

really....how about you start the forum is...how to hack the game....

because I go into pvp..and you know what I see most...people who speed hack the game....I am tired of reporting these idiots and then days later...see them still playing the game....

you know what is best for to do...just leave SWTor for good....go back to WoW....

in WoW...if you use any kind of hack...you get banned for a certain amount of time...here...SWTor just cares about getting Sub's money....I tell you what...if you do or do not see what I see...be sure to say something....

otherwise..this guide is total bs....because of in the pvp real...the Cherry poppers seem to think it is required to hack as much as possible....sick of the bs...

You are more than welcome to start a different thread about that. This was started to be a dedicated bolster thread. Please stay on task.

You are more than welcome to start a different thread about that. This was started to be a dedicated bolster thread. Please stay on task.

if we had even below average moderation off topic posts like that could be deleted (or at the very least moved to it's own thread).

I assume you mean either zero excuse TO BE less than 1900 EXP or zero excuse NOT TO BE at or above 1900 in a WZ. :) Well, "zero excuse to be at not less than 1900 EXP" would be the minimal change, but reads a bit awkwardly.

And you might want to specify ranked/unranked, if expectations are different -- I got yelled at for "only" being 1950ish on my op last season (b/c I was using the oldest (145/150) PVE 2-piece set bonus.

Done...

Get all the "free gear" you can at or slightly below the bolster cutoff. On my level 50 toon, Ill wear my crafted 156 purples until I replace with BIS PVP gear. YES, BIS PVP gear! Check the updated front page...

Hmm, K. As it turns out, the toon I'm using actually already has a ton of purple 162s and some basic comms so I was able to put together a solid set with that. It seems to be working very well but he's still 56 so we'll see when he gets to 60.

Hmm, K. As it turns out, the toon I'm using actually already has a ton of purple 162s and some basic comms so I was able to put together a solid set with that. It seems to be working very well but he's still 56 so we'll see when he gets to 60.

Just make sure you have BIS 60 Augments, new relics, possibly set Boni. The rest? Meh..

I'm still rocking my old Vindicator boni, 8% health on Guardian leap is too valuable to give up for tanking IMO.

You will be able to wear the same gear at 60 until you replace the items with pvp gear

I don't know if the competition has changed since 2.X but I followed the 2018 expertise guide and have been disappointed with the results. Pre 3.0 I was a noob rolling in my PVE gear, barely above 1k expertise, yet topped dps charts with few deaths. Now I "upgraded" to 162s with a few new 3.0 PVP pieces and feel like I'm dead before I can see who is attacking me to know what DCD to pop.

It's really not fun dying to 2 enemies in what feels like 2 GCDs even landing a 2x FiB with its associated self-heal. Probably should have stunned one and ran, but still I don't remember getting globaled in Ops gear.

but still I don't remember getting globaled in Ops gear.

Maybe you don't, but I certainly do for me. I remember when running my Marauder in PvP, at least compared to full PvP gear, the full PvE actually seemed to bolster to significantly higher damage (primarily due to mainhand and offhand), but you sacrificed a ton of survivability for it. It essentially converted any class into a glass cannon. If you took an already-glass-cannon-ish class like Concealment Operative and gave it full BiS PvE gear, it would probably get insane crits. Unfortunately I didn't have one of those at the time :D and I still don't.

Too be honest, if you read my thread that Randle linked on the front page... You can see that 2018 is extremely easy to achieve... So really there is no excuse not to have 2018 expertise... Although 1900 is acceptable

I don't know if the competition has changed since 2.X but I followed the 2018 expertise guide and have been disappointed with the results. Pre 3.0 I was a noob rolling in my PVE gear, barely above 1k expertise, yet topped dps charts with few deaths. Now I "upgraded" to 162s with a few new 3.0 PVP pieces and feel like I'm dead before I can see who is attacking me to know what DCD to pop.

It's really not fun dying to 2 enemies in what feels like 2 GCDs even landing a 2x FiB with its associated self-heal. Probably should have stunned one and ran, but still I don't remember getting globaled in Ops gear.

But that was pre 3.0... You could actually get away with it back then... I used to sacrifice some expertise for higher stats pre 3.0 as well

But that is no longer the case... Expertise is now the paramount stat for pvp... The way it was always meant to be

The thing to remember is the people you are playing at LVL 60 are highly skilled players and have probably a full set of Dark Reaver gear... But I can tell you if you weren't in your 162 gear you would be getting even worse results than you are now

Also, since 3.0 came out with the new utility set up... A lot of people haven't taken to the time to really read what each of their abilities actually do now... Especially the passives... They continue to play their class the way they did pre 3.0... With the changes, old tactics and abilities don't always work...

I had a friend who didn't bother to read them and couldn't understand why he was doing so bad... We went to outlaws and I showed him the ability changes and the different tactics... Did a few duals... He is now back to the same LVL of pvp he was at pre 3.0

Too be honest, if you read my thread that Randle linked on the front page... You can see that 2018 is extremely easy to achieve... So really there is no excuse not to have 2018 expertise... Although 1900 is acceptable

I've read both of your threads, and this was before 3.0 (I haven't PVPed in 3.0 really), and I would have been at 2018 except for the two pieces I was using for the 150 PVE set bonus, so I was "only" 1960-ish. My point was that just because you guys (and math) say that 1900+ should be good enough (especially if there is good reason, like a set bonus) doesn't mean people won't get yelled at in ranked (yolo, obviously -- if you're on a team, that should be worked out before the match starts). I'm sure that in regs, people in all PVE gear with over 1900 are quite welcome.

But my sin just hit 60, so I'm going to see what I can get with the free 162 (Forged Alliances) and 156 (Oricon) gear I got. And I rolled it back in 2012, it was my third alt, so got more crafting time than play time, but I'm tired of the abuse I got as a concealment op, so I figured if I have an FOTM, I might as well taste it.

I've read both of your threads, and this was before 3.0 (I haven't PVPed in 3.0 really), and I would have been at 2018 except for the two pieces I was using for the 150 PVE set bonus, so I was "only" 1960-ish. My point was that just because you guys (and math) say that 1900+ should be good enough (especially if there is good reason, like a set bonus) doesn't mean people won't get yelled at in ranked (yolo, obviously -- if you're on a team, that should be worked out before the match starts). I'm sure that in regs, people in all PVE gear with over 1900 are quite welcome.

But my sin just hit 60, so I'm going to see what I can get with the free 162 (Forged Alliances) and 156 (Oricon) gear I got. And I rolled it back in 2012, it was my third alt, so got more crafting time than play time, but I'm tired of the abuse I got as a concealment op, so I figured if I have an FOTM, I might as well taste it.

You really shouldn't be doing ranked without at least full set of Exhumbed gear... No where do I say it is a good idea to do ranked in PVE gear... Sure it is possible to do it, but as you say you will get yelled at

As IcyKill said dude don't play ranked unless you are in minimum full exhumed gear but even then it is still a tough match. better to grind that dark reaver gear then do it. you won't be loved very much if you go in ranked in pve gear dude :)

Also our thread's are not pre 3.0, or at least mine isn't because i only returned to the game at 3.0 after a 2 yr break.

You really shouldn't be doing ranked without at least full set of Exhumbed gear... No where do I say it is a good idea to do ranked in PVE gear... Sure it is possible to do it, but as you say you will get yelled at

As IcyKill said dude don't play ranked unless you are in minimum full exhumed gear but even then it is still a tough match. better to grind that dark reaver gear then do it. you won't be loved very much if you go in ranked in pve gear dude :)

Also our thread's are not pre 3.0, or at least mine isn't because i only returned to the game at 3.0 after a 2 yr break.

I haven't PVPed yet in 3.0, in 2.x my op had PVP gear except for hand/feet for the set bonus, and about 1960 expertise. I will make sure I have at least the Exhumed PVP set bonuses and relics (and 2018 expertise) on my sin before heading into ranked, though (she doesn't have any old stuff to worry about).

Remember guys, the only real difference is maybe a few deltas is HP/Main and secondary stats that we have been well past the DR on since 2.0.

Also, because if the way the EXP equations work, you technically could get max EXP damage reduction, without going all the way up to 2018EXP. The numbers don't line up perfectly, so as I tank I can carry less by intentionally nerfing buy using 186 on a few slots to knock my EXP down from 2018.