Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Gunslinger Needs Credits & More.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Smuggler > Gunslinger
Gunslinger Needs Credits & More.

Josewales
01.21.2013 , 10:22 AM | #1
So yesterday, I gave in and rolled a Gunslinger. I tried one at launch and wasn't a big fan on the cover system. Since my return this month after a long afk, I tried both BH types and still feel like something is missing from their mechanics. I spent most of yesterday lvling the new slinger to 18, and realized fast that one needs equipment or enhancements up to date in order to chain mobs with little downtime..ad soon as I let my mods slide around lvl 15, I noticed a big difference in downtime and taking meds. TG for a few ultra rare rolls to sell and support.

Now for the mechanics. Took me a couple hours to evolve a keyboard bind layout and get used to it. It was a no brainer that without a healer, entire rotation needs to be on que during the process. Once I got used to tossing aoes while taking cover, it was just an easy mash after that.

Even though my main Sin has biochem. I may have to pick it up again to make dps a priority.

Anyways, the slinger I see can be a lot of fun if prepped properly. So far he's a mofo. Hope it continues. I read quite a bit if posts here, and mixed reviews. But common theme is rotation. To me it seems how fast one can mash keys instead and course gear dependency.

Skyburnbright
01.25.2013 , 03:50 AM | #2
The cover mechanic definately isn't for everybody. I actually tried to like the class I think 2 or 3 times and gave up, only getting to about level 15 each time. Bit of a waste I know, I REALLY wanted to like it but I just hated the cover system. I recently made a new one and something just clicked. They can do some absolutely devestating damage if played properly, I've started trying to ignore the appeal of being mobile and instead put my focus into dishing out as much damage as possible and it's been a lot of fun since then.
"The Force is what gives a Jedi his power. It's an energy field created by all living things. It surrounds us, penetrates us, and binds the galaxy together." -Obi-Wan Kenobi

Josewales
01.31.2013 , 06:51 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Skyburnbright View Post
The cover mechanic definately isn't for everybody. I actually tried to like the class I think 2 or 3 times and gave up, only getting to about level 15 each time. Bit of a waste I know, I REALLY wanted to like it but I just hated the cover system. I recently made a new one and something just clicked. They can do some absolutely devestating damage if played properly, I've started trying to ignore the appeal of being mobile and instead put my focus into dishing out as much damage as possible and it's been a lot of fun since then.
Took awhile to get used to the mechanic indeed. Eventually I learned to cover without a target. I found myself messing up lots while mashing keys trying get into natural cover. Lost seconds equals meds. One thing I wish for is turning off natural cover option...or even a difference cover ability to avoid the annoying green ghosts.

A gaming mouse is a must for a slinger imo. Managing cc's and interupts at the thumb is slice bread.

Its been less than 2 weeks since I rolled the slinger....3 bubs to 50 now Thats including work and real interfering...oh BW made a few $$ off of cartel coins for exp buff at the same time.

Sokee
01.31.2013 , 11:11 AM | #4
Just use Crouch, take Cover and Cover bar off.

SentinelDranoel
02.03.2013 , 09:51 PM | #5
I had a sharpshooter gunslinger since launch, I use my f key to roll into cover and my g key to take cover where I am standing at. I have been doing it so long it is second nature. I like to get up then drop back down to refresh my balistic dampners and get that instant fire attack.
and the Force beat generic Swords and Magic anyday