Hi im new and i could use some tips.

Traxisprime

So swtor is my first true mmo rpg I started my sith warrior (marauder) a couple weeks ago. My common Knowledge tells me I sould focus on my strength and endurance, is this a smart move and if not what are all the other stats for? Another thing ive been thinking about is if I buy the razer swtor mouse will I still get the crystal, and is a number pad on the side really that helpful? Any help for a noob like me would be appreciated. :)

well as a mara Strength is your main stat. Endurance is just for HP, its on almost everything. Str affects everything you do as a Mara. DO NOT stack Willpower, cunning, or aim as a mara, however feel free to grab the datacrons that give these stats as they do give a very very tiny boost, and some lore+something to do when your bored lol. (willpower helps force powers a tiny bit, cunning tech skills, and aim effects ranged attacks)

Now I know this isn't most people preference but my mara's stat's go: *Str>*Power>End>Surge>Crit

This is so my normal hits, hit harder, and my crits hit much much harder. Now with this stat build crits don't happen often However I use annihilation spec, and my bleed's have a much higher crit (guaranteed 6 crits if I beserk)

I also like this stat build with the Rage spec, however on carnage common crits seem the way to go.

Also note i'm not saying this is the best, i'm just saying its what I prefer.

*On my augments I use Overkill (18 power 12 endurance) due to already knowing the schematic and having made them in bulk for my 3 healers.

I bought a multi-button mouse, but I found it a bit uncomfortable to use myself (your mileage may vary -- many people have good success with these types of mice).

I ended up going back to my regular mouse and using a combination of keystrokes and a few mouse buttons. I've arranged it this way on all of my different toons and classes, so I don't have to re-remember the keypresses when I switch between alts:

1 - Basic Attack

2 - Strong Attack

3 - Instant Attack

4 - <varies>

5 - Area of Effect Attack

Q - Finisher Attack

Z - Cleanse / Other

C - Aggro Dump

V - Stun

B - Mez

R - Defensive Move

G - Grenade / Other

T - Knockback

Mouse Button 4 - (browser forward) - Interrupt

Mouse Button 5 - (browser back) - Stun Breaker

This allows me to have most everything I do with minimal movement of my left hand, with the right on the mouse.

The issue I have is my old mouse was actually causing hand cramps. So I switched to a Trackman Marble by Logitech.

It works much better.

It could be my old mouse was simply too small for my hand over long periods. If there was a track-ball version of the Naga, I'd be all over that.

I'm a Razer Naga convert. Any scheme that binds the quickbar buttons to physical keys has the advantage of improved reaction time compared to clicking the quickbar buttons with the mouse cursor; putting the quickbar buttons where your right hand can operate them has the additional advantage of letting your left hand move the character while your right hand executes button combos, whether your class has an ability rotation or a priority system.

This is how the designers of console controllers have done it for years. The left hand corresponds with the side of the brain that handles spacial awareness, and the right hand is associated with the side of the brain that handles logic. Plus, there are studies that suggest an advantage in learning when motor memory is brought into the process, whether you have physical buttons to control your class abilities or are learning to spell by learning to type.

Also, gaming mice look snazzy.

Edited by Otembe

I bought a Naga after getting comfortable with keyboard keybinding.

I've never really used the mouse buttons to their fullest potential as a result. Many of the buttons are a little uncomfortable for me to use with the way I hold the mouse. My hands aren't huge, but the mouse is smaller than what I'd grown used to using. I've keybound relics, adrenals, interrupts, CC breaker, and any heals to the mouse and everything else I use the keyboard for.

Generally, people love them though. If I'd started with the mouse, I'd probably use it more but having already learned the keybinds I've not had any real need to relearn them as mousebinds.

I never used a naga, but i did buy the SWTOR razer mouse, and I love it. :D Its fits perfectly in my hand, and i can comfortably game all day with it. Its really convenient having the buttons on the side, and the black green crystals are cool too ;) btw, the black green crystals come as level 5 endurance crystals, but one of the vendors on courscant/dromund kaas (i think its the specialty goods vendor) will upgrade it for 150k credits

The Naga works good. It takes about a week to get the muscle memory down, but once you do there is no going back. I also have the Nostromo for left hand use , and it pretty much comes set up the way I need it. I use the keys for all the keyboard keys on the left side (direction/strafe, ctrl alt and shift for additional quickbar action, and the thumb pad = space bar. Also, there is a button above the directional pad that works for voice chat. I don't use direction pad, tho- too jumpy and unpredictable. Edited by amaresch

Since you said you are a Mara, you are only going to be a DPS. There was an earlier reply that gave you a priority on what attributes to focus on and why. Invest time searching the forums and Google to find out how to run your character. Things to know are stance, how to allocate points in your Advanced Class Tree and why (aka builds), articles on abilities rotation. Make sure your armour has those attributes given (str, end, pwr, crit, etc) and you keep them up to date with your level. Also, too many people handicap themselves by not equipping relics, implants and earpieces. Those give huge boosts, just keep them somewhat equal to your level. Some items are moddable, so same thing with Barrels, crystals, mods, enhancements, armor, augments- keep them updated and relevant to your character. Putting mods with cunning on a Mara won't be doing you too much good..

Know what CCs are and how to use them, especially when you are in a group.

Don't forget you companions. As you get a new one as your story progresses; find out what their purpose is( heals, damage, tank) and equip them and set their stance accordingly. Keep their gear updated.

This all costs you credits of course, so know what to prioritize spending on for updating items.

Know how to set up your quickbars, including binding.

Know how to use stims, adrenals, even medpacks and your relics.

Find complementary crew gathering and missions skills.

There are a lot of resources scattered around the internet, but you'll need to invest a little time to finding them, reading them, understanding them, practicing them, and finally refining them based on your own comfort and circumstances (PVP vs PVE, flashpoints, Raids, specific role in Guild). There are articles and guides with in-depth info out there for most every class, and there will be reasons given for the why, and even alternatives given.

Not being facetious, but this is important based on how new to this game you are and to MMORPGs overall. SWTOR is my first game in this genre, and I had to learn like I said above. Took a little time, and i'm still finding out new things, but the time spent was well worth it. These forums and sometimes even General chat is a good way to answer specific questions. Joining a Guild helps too if they are willing to help their members.

After a while, and this is only my opinion; roll an alt of another class. This will help reinforce what you had to learn. It helps to keep the game interesting. Also, if you roll a character from each of the four classes on either faction, and progress each character up through the end of Act 2, you get the full range of class buffs.

Ok, getting too wordy, and this is only a synopsis. HTH.

• 2 weeks later...
You should definetely want endurance, and armor. Strength is next important for Sith Marauder. The sith juggernaut is a melee tank, and is focused on armoring. The marauder is focused on strength, and you should try to make up for the lack of armor.:rak_03:

Umm, no.

Sorry, that is exactly the opposite of what he should be doing.

Endurance is for tanks. If you favor endurance over strength you are giving up dps, and dps is what marauders are all about.

Umm, no.

Sorry, that is exactly the opposite of what he should be doing.

Endurance is for tanks. If you favor endurance over strength you are giving up dps, and dps is what marauders are all about.

This ^^^

Strength all day long. Once you get to 50 and start min/maxing you might add some mods that are stacked towards power over strength, but NEVER make END a priority. And you should NEVER NEVER NEVER be equipping any gear that adds to any of the other stats like Cunning/Aim/Willpower, those simply aren't for your class. While you're at it, avoid gear that has bonuses to "defense - absorb - shield" as well. Those are for tanks. DPS do not survive by being able to take a lot of damage, they need to be able to dish it out faster than they receive it.

The issue I have is my old mouse was actually causing hand cramps. So I switched to a Trackman Marble by Logitech.

It works much better.

It could be my old mouse was simply too small for my hand over long periods. If there was a track-ball version of the Naga, I'd be all over that.

Might wanna try a R.A.T. instead of the normal mouse. :D