[Guide-Video] Shinarika 9 and Introduction to 23/1/17 and 13/28 "Arika" Hybrid

Xinika

putting BM armoring in PVE shell should take care of expertise problem (then put the other WH mods in also). Expertise would be exactly the same, but you'd lose 12 end/will though. Still seems like a fair trade for thrash crit/claws of decay bonus considering your using thrash more than anything else. Then maybe you could drop more crit from gear, considering pve 4set bonus/Energize. Just my thoughts. Edited by Trevormortis

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Probably a stupid question; but in the 0/13/28 build, what's the best skills to use with recklessness (I have 3 stacks with the stalker set bonus). I usually have been using it before deathfield and then following with shock or discharge. Am I gimping my dmg doing it this way?

Thanks for the help :D

Probably a stupid question; but in the 0/13/28 build, what's the best skills to use with recklessness (I have 3 stacks with the stalker set bonus). I usually have been using it before deathfield and then following with shock or discharge. Am I gimping my dmg doing it this way?

Thanks for the help :D

Death Field, Shock and Discharge are fine choices.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Why does the listed 23/1/17 spec take some shield talents, but not all shield talents in the way?

If you're not equipping a shield, there are dps talents that can be taken instead. If you are equipping a shield, why not use the Shield talents?

I modified my personal spec to have some shield talents mostly due to Electric Execution and Swelling Shadows are useless in Darkness stance. While I do use Discharge, I mostly use it as an accuracy debuff to enemy targets or a filler. Having Dark Ward is useful in PVE since I do my HM Tier 1 flashpoint dailies as a tank with BH Survivor gear with a Shield generator.

For PVP though, I'm using a full DPS set, 4P Stalker, 1P Force Master (boots)

Edited by Grogget

Why does the listed 23/1/17 spec take some shield talents, but not all shield talents in the way?

If you're not equipping a shield, there are dps talents that can be taken instead. If you are equipping a shield, why not use the Shield talents?

Every shield talent taken has an additional effect that makes it worthwhile; Lightning Reflexes gives 4% defense and Hollow gives a 10% heal when using Overcharge Saber. The alternative dps talents you're speaking of are so trivial for Dark Charge-users that the utility of the shield talents is generally accepted as a better investment. Additionally, by dropping 1 point of Shroud of Darkness (1% End), you can invest in Dark Ward to make yourself a more than adequate tank for the occasional pve foray.

For the 13/28 spec, what's the point of taking Deathmark and 1 point in Calculating Mind if you're not doing anything that has a DOT (no Raze, no Creeping Terror, Surging Charge Discharge)?

I run my 13-28 spec with Lightning Charge. I basically play as a Madness Assassin spamming Thrash/Raze and dropping Deathfield and Shock to keep up buffs. Then the magic happens when in all of the middle of that you get an Exploit Weakness proc.

So I do have a dots going with Discharge and Raze.

For the 13/28 spec, what's the point of taking Deathmark and 1 point in Calculating Mind if you're not doing anything that has a DOT (no Raze, no Creeping Terror, Surging Charge Discharge)?

Those 2 points are needed to move up in the tree and get the 30% bonus to Death Field.

• 2 months later...
Shinarika, if you're wondering if your build survived 1.6, it has, and still with flying colors. I don't think there have been any changes at all...

Either way, have some PVP videos, now in full 1080p quality.

1.6 Voidstar:

I agree. Even before 1.6, this (23/1/17) was still a solid build, especially for Huttball. For other maps, I would take the 2 points out of Instant Whirlwind and put them in Maul, to give you 23/3/15. Great to guard nodes etc until help arrives.

Everyone has been going on about 0/27/14 and although it is ok, surviving unless you have a pocket healer is difficult and most of the big hits come against badly geared folk. How that will stand up going forward is anyones business because I am not convinced that Infiltration is yet viable, despite have a massive(LOL) handful of seconds with blackout.

However, for burst damage, you cant beat full deception.

Edited by DarthMaulUK

I agree. Even before 1.6, this (23/1/17) was still a solid build, especially for Huttball. For other maps, I would take the 2 points out of Instant Whirlwind and put them in Maul, to give you 23/3/15. Great to guard nodes etc until help arrives.

Everyone has been going on about 0/27/14 and although it is ok, surviving unless you have a pocket healer is difficult and most of the big hits come against badly geared folk. How that will stand up going forward is anyones business because I am not convinced that Infiltration is yet viable, despite have a massive(LOL) handful of seconds with blackout.

However, for burst damage, you cant beat full deception.

27/14 is a great spec for solo and non-serious rated play. I've been running 27/14 majority of the time since I've been back. However, 23/1/17 is still the best overall-based shadow spec in the game. Its versatility is still unmatched by anything else to date.

I'm currently using 23/1/17 in Dark Charge and a focus. Would it be better to use a shield and put my focus mods in it?

Haven't tested that, but it won't be a bad idea entirely. The shield's stats (damage wise) however, is by default, lower. So keep that in mind.

One thing which confused me with the arika spec, is the buff we put on the enemy after Fib which is force suppression charge, which are consumed with periodic damaging abilities? What periodic abilities given that its shadow technique??

It's just points spent to get higher up in the tree. It's a good 'backstab' spec, but slightly dated now because of the Blackout buffs. It's better to go 14/27 or 27/14 at this point.

It's just points spent to get higher up in the tree. It's a good 'backstab' spec, but slightly dated now because of the Blackout buffs. It's better to go 14/27 or 27/14 at this point.

Sorry for the confusion :) that is the one i meant, the 14/27 spec,

I am running 27/14 at the moment and really liking it.

What i was asking was where do the dots come from on 14/27 considering it runs shadow tech? isn't force suppression wasted then? I could be wrong in the way i am understanding it here.

Sorry for the confusion :) that is the one i meant, the 14/27 spec,

I am running 27/14 at the moment and really liking it.

What i was asking was where do the dots come from on 14/27 considering it runs shadow tech? isn't force suppression wasted then? I could be wrong in the way i am understanding it here.

*I'm going to use assassin terminology for simplicity in this post. Convert to shadow terminology in your head while reading.*

It's always safe to assume that if you take the 2 points in madness that make lightning discharge instant, as well as the proc chance on raze, that you play the spec in lightning charge. The point on surging charge is a wasted point, but its the only way to get induction for maul crit multiplier. Duplicity, coupled with induction and unearthed knowledge can make for some nasty burst on maul crits.

Edited by Cowflab

I'm currently using 23/1/17 in Dark Charge and a focus. Would it be better to use a shield and put my focus mods in it?

I took a look at this. You lose a lot of force power since it's attached to the focus shell and not the armoring. In the end, the trade off didn't appeal to me.

• 2 weeks later...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0/13/28 (Now updated to 0/14/27)

Messing around trying to find new ways to entertain myself with my Shadow... I suddenly came up with this spec out of nowhere. I remember seeing it on "paper" and thinking "Oh gosh, that spec would perform awesome if I think it works the way I want it to!". Well, what a surprise... this spec more than fulfilled my expectations, it surpassed it.

This is a very high-damage dealing spec that features a multiple arsenal of attacks to keep you going and keep you going strong. FiB and Breach, both high internal damage (Yes, this spec utilizes Shadow Technique!) along with the SS proc... this spec is just a pure armour-penetrating build. Also known as 'the backstab' spec.

On top of the high and consistent damage, the force management is great! That's the other part that surprised me. You have so many buttons to press yet you're not force starved entirely. Granted, you must monitor your force like you would as any spec. I'm still working around getting used to this spec but I absolutely love it. The burst literally requires little to no setup and you have the ability to just keep going.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well.....

I gave this little beauty a try and man can it deal some damage. I scored my biggest hit yet - 6797k but in a mass group, you can get cut down to pieces extremely quickly due to the lack of survivability -which is a shame. Its a very high damage dealing spec.

Ive yet to manage to get behind my target to Maul and theres a few new procs to look out for but worth a try certainly in WZs like Civil War but Ancient Gates, Huttball it doesnt stand up to much due to stuns unless you;re in a 1on1 battle which in such a small space, isnt always going to be the way , since a pocket healer is always somewhere closeby.

Good fun though

• 2 months later...

"Arika," spec, will it be viable in 2.0? Seeing how waka has quit the game due to the fact that sins have been nerfed for no reason, lol, I also see no point in gearing for dps gear unless there is some sort of hybrid worth playing. Shinarika have you messed around with any hybrids? If so what are your finding and do you forsee any hope for assassin dps?

Thanks, Insanus