Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Low level Darkness, Supposed to use Shock?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Shadow / Assassin
Low level Darkness, Supposed to use Shock?

lilfeet
01.09.2012 , 09:37 AM | #1
So I'm a level 21 Darkness, i just picked up Energize (gives 50% chance to make your next shock auto crit). However when I look at the damage, my crit shocks really don't do that much damage compared to how much force they require.

Thrash is only 25 force, a shock is 45. For 5 more force, I can do two thrash's that do more damage than that one crit shock. Does this get better? Maybe once you pick up Electrify? Or a higher rank of 'Assassin's Training'?

At this level, it doesn't seem like it is worth the force usage, I should just keep using thrash....Am I missing something?

theonepanda
01.09.2012 , 09:45 AM | #2
It scales oddly.

Yea your shock is going to be pretty crappy till high levels.

Keep in mind: 2 thrashes for 50 force =/= 1 shock for 45.

Why?

GCD.

If you wanted to compare the two, compare 2 thrashes vs 1 shock + 1 saber strike.

I think you'll get similar numbers, or that thrash might still be the winner, but later on you will get many more things that proc off shock.

Low levels...use it for a stun on a normal to lessen the damage you take, or to set up for tumult when you get it later.
Fear the panda

ishbindeinvater
01.09.2012 , 09:46 AM | #3
i always used shock in PvP and PvE

PvP because 10m, instant, good damage and mobility

PvE it stuns mobs for a maul and it crits really nice

later on you get a skill with a free 100%-crit shock
ICH BIN DEIN VAAAATEERRRRR !!!!!!!!!!!

theonepanda
01.09.2012 , 09:53 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by ishbindeinvater View Post
i always used shock in PvP and PvE

PvP because 10m, instant, good damage and mobility

PvE it stuns mobs for a maul and it crits really nice

later on you get a skill with a free 100%-crit shock
He has that talent.

It doesn't crit for very much at low levels.
Fear the panda

Exiled-Phoenix
01.09.2012 , 10:02 AM | #5
At later levels shock will be better then maul.
Trash will always be one of your main attacks as an assassin if you continue in darkness.

ishbindeinvater
01.09.2012 , 10:04 AM | #6
yes i know.

and he needs to have reckleness on to have that +50% crit-damage and together with chain shock its really nice.

i thought its also free but thats a different skill called raze which makes CD free
ICH BIN DEIN VAAAATEERRRRR !!!!!!!!!!!

Talyn_Rahl
01.09.2012 , 10:07 AM | #7
Another reason to keep shockin is the talent Harnessed Darkness, which comes deep in the Darkness tree. It gives you a stacking buff every time you shock that makes your Force Lightning MELT FACES.
Proud Ownder of a CE Preorder Key aww yeah.
And for no real reason... here's a little spaceship!
ffwwooooossshhh!

theonepanda
01.09.2012 , 10:15 AM | #8
So i think you all missed the point of this thread, which was to ask if it is worth using for low level darkness.

My verdict is, it probably isn't, or at least it isn't better to use, but it will help you learn your rotation for later if you practice watching it now.

I'm sure he will learn that it is good later

Also: using recklessness with chain shock is the worst idea >.> You want to use it with harnessed darkness (or raze), and use only ONE charge for the first shock.

Because it only gives +50% on an energize shock. And the second hit does not benefit from energize, and will eat a stack of reckless, for only a tiny bit of damage.
Fear the panda

lilfeet
01.09.2012 , 02:18 PM | #9
Thanks all, yeah, just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything. I'll just keep practicing watching for the buff to use later.

Until I pickup some of the supporting talents it just isn't worth the cost at these levels.

WutsInAName
01.09.2012 , 05:09 PM | #10
Shock is Darkness's MAIN attack. It should be used more than any other skill regardless of level.

Granted it becomes better wth more talents, but it should always be like 1,2 or 3 on your bar.