Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

New Assassins Read up!


LordMorning's Avatar


LordMorning
01.09.2012 , 09:06 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Daystarr View Post
No, it really doesn't rofl. You guys need to stop comparing Assassin class to WoW classes, they are entirely different. I play my sin and I dont feel like a rogue, ret pally, or dk.
That's because you feel like a combination of all them.

theonepanda's Avatar


theonepanda
01.09.2012 , 09:10 AM | #22
Oh...well so I will say that obviously none of these are exactly like WoW classes, and they are all mashups of different archetypes.

I pored over the talent trees before I ever started the game, and played a bit of assassin in the beta too.

I went into it thinking that darkness was basically a blood dk and deception was a rogue; I haven't been really disappointed in the slightest.

The resource system is very different, force is essentially energy from WoW, it regens at about the same pace and has no scaling based on how much energy you have.

That I think is one of the core things rogues have to worry about, and if you're used to watching energy as a rogue you're pretty much going to do fine. The only difference is you press your saber strike instead of sitting and autoattacking in WoW.

I wrote a whole list of things comparing deception assassins to all 3 types of rogues in my deception thread, and I stand by those comparisons.

I'm not saying that people can't see other classes in the assassin.

What I was rebutting was the OP's opinion that this plays nothing like a rogue. If you go into deception thinking that you're going to play a rogue, you'll be pretty much okay.
Fear the panda

punman's Avatar


punman
01.09.2012 , 09:18 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Guodan View Post
I'm not so sure about this, as from my personal experience, most of a Deception Assassin's DPS seems to come from Maul; an ability which can only be used when you're behind the target.
I think your "personal experience" with the Deception assassin must end at level 15 then.

WE ARE NOT DARTH MAULSPAM. God, if I had a buck for everyone who thought that Maul was our primary ability, I'd ... er ... have a lot of money.

Do you know what my hardest hitting abilities are as full deception? Shock and Discharge.

I can't hardly use Maul against another player because of server sync issues, where my target appears to be directly in front of me facing away from me, but in fact is 5 feet ----> that way, facing towards me, and I have no way of knowing exactly where the server got out of sync so I can't even guess.

I only use Maul on dudes directly running away from me (which is stupid, so they are bad, and deserve it) and when EW is up, which it isn't all the time, so this is very situational.

And in PVE ... yeah, you'll use it when EW proc is up, but that's about it.
Darth Fex Malignis
<Villains by Necessity>

Bondar Crystal
Sith Assassin

alement's Avatar


alement
01.09.2012 , 09:22 AM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by punman View Post
I think your "personal experience" with the Deception assassin must end at level 15 then.

WE ARE NOT DARTH MAULSPAM. God, if I had a buck for everyone who thought that Maul was our primary ability, I'd ... er ... have a lot of money.

Do you know what my hardest hitting abilities are as full deception? Shock and Discharge.

I can't hardly use Maul against another player because of server sync issues, where my target appears to be directly in front of me facing away from me, but in fact is 5 feet ----> that way, facing towards me, and I have no way of knowing exactly where the server got out of sync so I can't even guess.

I only use Maul on dudes directly running away from me (which is stupid, so they are bad, and deserve it) and when EW is up, which it isn't all the time, so this is very situational.

And in PVE ... yeah, you'll use it when EW proc is up, but that's about it.
That is if Maul doesn't crit. If Maul crits, it's hitting for 2700ish.
Alementy- 55 Assassin, Darkness Spec.
GreenishSage. 55 Sorceror, Corruption spec,

punman's Avatar


punman
01.09.2012 , 09:29 AM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by alement View Post
That is if Maul doesn't crit. If Maul crits, it's hitting for 2700ish.
2700 is a tiny crit bro
Darth Fex Malignis
<Villains by Necessity>

Bondar Crystal
Sith Assassin

Cowflab's Avatar


Cowflab
01.09.2012 , 10:51 AM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Guodan View Post
I'm not so sure about this, as from my personal experience, most of a Deception Assassin's DPS seems to come from Maul; an ability which can only be used when you're behind the target.

In this light, I think that Assassins actually do play as WoW Rogues, Assassination Rogues to be more specific, although Assassins admittedly do have a lot more utility.
If maul is your primary dps source then you're not playing the deception spec correctly and probably not doing near as much dps as you could be. As a matter of fact the use of maul is very situational imo. Being that the opponent has his back turned, you have a proc, and an abundance of force. Other than that it should primarily be used as an opener pre-spike availability. As a previous poster said your dps should be coming from discharge and shocks.

eonfoo's Avatar


eonfoo
01.09.2012 , 11:01 AM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by theonepanda View Post
Deception is very much like a rogue.

And as far as I can tell I do more dps than operatives.

You are definitely not a support class.

Assassin dps is great >.>

Also what do you support with? Your slow, which sorcs get too? Your spike, which you can use once?

Darkness certainly plays like a DK more than a rogue, but that is to be expected, as you're kinda doing the very opposite of rogues do, standing in front of a boss and punching it.

Madness has its dots and probably isn't terribly roguelike, but it is the shared tree between sorcs and assassins.

I guess I should have been a little more clear with the operative point.

People want to come out of stealth and do massive amounts of damage with some sort of stealth opener which Sins don't really have... Not like Operatives. I think Sins are fine with the damage they do my point was simply that you are not a wow rogue.

As far as support is concerned. Darkness is definitely the true support tree...

However that doesn't stop me a Deception sin from dark charge/guarding the flag carrier. Mind Trap into electrocuting someone to let my teammate cap the flag/door.

And my last point, I'm fully aware that Sin dps is fine I never said it wasn't. I just said we are a jack of all trades and as such we don't see huge numbers in any one aspect of the game.

theonepanda's Avatar


theonepanda
01.09.2012 , 11:05 AM | #28
Oh okay, well that is much more reasonable.

I would actually say we are quite roguelike in the sustained burst (bear with me here lol).

You can get up to 18 seconds of 50% more force regen, coming out of stealth.

That is a massive, massive dps increase. If you also overload saber, you're doing much more damage than an op, but over a longer period of time.

The thing is, once an op finishes his opener, he can't do anything. He's at 0 energy with nothing to do except autoattack.

After you finish your first 6 seconds, you just pop blackout and do almost 50% more damage for the next 6 seconds, then vanish and possibly reopen with even more energy regen.

*Disclaimer - my pvp experience is mostly secondhand, from my op buddy who regales me with stories. So if I'm completely off on this, I'm sorry lol.
Fear the panda

Eyesmindassassin's Avatar


Eyesmindassassin
01.09.2012 , 11:26 AM | #29
Why do terrible WoW Rogue rerollers that play the easiest Assassin spec (Darkness) always seem to make incorrect posts in this forum about the class? Deception Assassins (non-faceroll spec) play a lot like Rogues and have 90% of their abilities. Shock doesn't make them more like Enhance Shamans. That's one ability. Maul is a primary attack for an Assassin (along with Shock, Discharge, etc). Read the guide. If you don't know how to get and stay behind people in PvP, then you only further cement how much of a terrible WoW Rogue you were.

Stop being bad and learn to play a real spec before comparing Assassins to Blood Death Knights because Darkness and Blood are both tank specs with Death Grip. Last time I played WoW, the forums were littered with Blood is OP'd threads and my main was DK. I know you just want to be OP'd again, but at least acknowledge the fact that you're not good at this game and only get by playing the easiest specs to get your point across.

-Shadowfist-'s Avatar


-Shadowfist-
01.09.2012 , 11:33 AM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by eonfoo View Post
Rule 3: Your "niche" in pvp is... You guessed it Support/Jack of All Trades. You have abilities for almost every situation. You have plenty of control/interrupts if played and timed correctly. You must also realize that while all specs are viable you are going to be giving up something in return for the other I.E Survivability vs Burst. You can't have both choose one or the other that fits your play-style.
It's unfortunately that our burst isn't really anything worth mentioning compared to classes in heavy armor/or fellow glass cannons.

This from a 50 ASSN in full PvP, Valor 50+

I love assassin, and I love the utility, but the DPS/Burst needs a bump.
There is no peace, there is anger
There is no fear, there is power
There is no death, there is immortality
There is no weakness, there is the Dark Side.