Slinger/snipers role in pvp. Best way for it to excel?

Robpwnz

Question might seem kinda silly. From an experienced point of view what is the best role for a slinger/sniper for each warzone? Lay down dps and kill healers? Imho other classes have more utility and use for objective game play. They are not limited by cover and can fight on the move. I.E. carry the hutball, kite people, better movement etc.

This is not a bash. I would like to be informed the pro's of having one on your side and the best way to help them own face so your team wins basically. Convince me why I'd want at least one on my team.

Huttball

Huttball is one of my favourite wzs to play as a 'slinger as you can get on the top platform and dominate the ball respawn area. I try to always focus on the ball carrier and not only can you hit them with heavy dps, but also root/stun them with your abilities to help your team catch up to them. This is particularly useful if you are the only person back while everyone else has gone to score as you need to give them time to catch up. Also, if you can stop them over the fire pits... Don't get thrown the ball though - you'll suck at it and should throw it back asap. The only time I throw the ball is if I'm back at the middle area and I can get the next attack going faster.

Voidstar

If you are defending the gate then 'slinger is ideal for this and you can often rack up some massive numbers and be able to interrupt from range if anyone is trying to plant the bomb. Also, to help your team, I often cover one gate on my own, ready to shout for help, knowing that I can slow any enemies down fast enough to get help or burst them down. Attacking is a little trickier, as we need to stay still, but waiting near the middle section for the opposition to respawn and then hitting pulse detonator to bounce them back can buy you the extra time needed for the bomb to be planted.

Civil War

As you said in your OP, taking down healers is really useful here as they can hang back in the backlines of the enemy, so even if you don't kill them, making them retreat means they are out of range to heal anyone actually competing for the node at the centre. Another good tip is when you are mid and see enemies spawning mid and then running to the side node, use a stun or a root to slow them down. Often they will try to attack and you can burst them down, but even if you don't, you are slowing down the enemy attacking the other side.

Denova

Help take west and then go east with a healer. Position yourself at the opening of the other node and get the healer behind you and it is very, very difficult to get you out, especially if the enemy comes in numbers of 3 or less. If they do come with more then you can still slow them down a lot with just the two of you, giving the rest of the team more time to capture another position. If you take a tank as well, you should be nigh invincible.

So in summary, when I first started playing the 'slinger I thought that there wouldn't be that much utility, but killing things quickly and being a general pain in the arse IS the best utility you can get.

All the tips above are great ones, especially for a SS. Which can be an extremely useful spec in pvp. Just to add a few things, sab and DF specs are a bit more mobile than a SS and therefore they can be useful for different things. DF is very good at killing tanks and dps on the run. Sab is very good at defending because of their massive aoe.

Personally I am sab spec and here are a few things I would add about warzones:

Huttball: yes defending mid is a strength but you can also be helpful to your ball carrier by running ahead of them while still provide them some cover. Running ahead of them can give them a person to leap to or pass to, and you can also clear a path for them, so they don't get knocked off. A gunslinger is a great person to guardian leap to because enemy leapers cannot leap to them. I don't suggest you do this all the time, but you have to see what roles everyone else on your team are taking, and where you are needed. But you should pretty much try to say in the rafters at all times either way.

Voidstar: Sab spec: aoe, aoe, aoe, pick off healers and fellow snipers/gunslingers

Alderaan: I often go right (rep side) with one other person to try to prevent the imps from capping, having ranged mez and stun makes you very capable of at least stalling the opposition enough to give the rest of your team some breathing room. Otherwise, being up top in mid is a great place to pick off healers and high dpsers, and cc to protect someone capping. It's also a great vantage point to keep an eye on the turret when defending it. BUt don't stay in the same spot because people will find you and come after you, so switch it up and try to remain hidden.

Novare coast: If you are sab spec, you shine in mid with your aoe goodness. You will be most useful at the node where you are defending against a large group because you can interrupt a large group of people who are trying to cap all spread out. However, you do also have some good burst, so if you only have one turret you can go with one other person and help them take a node

All in all, we are a very useful teammate in warzones, you should want at least one or two of us in any given warzone. In my experience 2 gunslingers in a warzone would be ideal, but if you have more than that you can dominate as well. It really depends on the players.

Edited by Renita

Slingers win Novare, period. The combination of wide area fire+forget cap denial (Flyby, which oh yeah also does massive damage if you sit there) and the ability to focus down individual targets is pretty devastating either in small encounters E/W, the big initial scrum mid, or wherever the bulk of the enemy's forces is pushing later. Edited by flem

Not to sure about other classes but flourish shot ( if there is no other classes with a mortal strike -20% healing ) is reasonenough to bring a slinger along. As sab spec u have the aoe ppl have spoke about but u also have the ability to survive longer withs your defensive cds.