Suiciding to prevent enemy points in DM

Morgrid

I don't know about deathmatch, but in domination mode this absolutely happens and is done on purpose. Gunship getting targeted and you don't have time to run back to the safety of the capital ship? Run into the nearest asteroid and respawn. It's a serious flaw in the system (you obviously wouldn't suicide if there was a significant penalty for doing so) that is commonly used to rob pilots of their kill ratings (and points? I still don't understand how scoring works in domination mode). Yes, sometimes it is done by accident, but if you're going after a gunship and have him/her down to a sliver of health and they suddenly ram into an asteroid? That's no accident.

I don't know about deathmatch, but in domination mode this absolutely happens and is done on purpose. Gunship getting targeted and you don't have time to run back to the safety of the capital ship? Run into the nearest asteroid and respawn. It's a serious flaw in the system (you obviously wouldn't suicide if there was a significant penalty for doing so) that is commonly used to rob pilots of their kill ratings (and points? I still don't understand how scoring works in domination mode). Yes, sometimes it is done by accident, but if you're going after a gunship and have him/her down to a sliver of health and they suddenly ram into an asteroid? That's no accident.

Domination scoring is 1 point every second per satellite you control. Plus 1 point for an enemy death regardless of how they died. (I've seen people engine boost into an object immediately and the other team scores, so this is for certain)

Domination scoring is 1 point every second per satellite you control. Plus 1 point for an enemy death regardless of how they died. (I've seen people engine boost into an object immediately and the other team scores, so this is for certain)

Okay, so it does hurt them (barely) to suicide, but I think the prevailing reasoning is that, if they're going to die anyway, they'd like to rob the opposing pilot of the kill. I guess it's an ego thing, not that any of us have ego issues to work through, right? Right?

It's a serious flaw in the system (you obviously wouldn't suicide if there was a significant penalty for doing so) that is commonly used to rob pilots of their kill ratings (and points? I still don't understand how scoring works in domination mode).

it's my understanding that crashing your ship grants an assist and associated requsition rewards to everyone who damaged you before that point, provided they haven't died in the meantime. Apart from achievement progress I don't think it really robs the attacker of anything.

And eh. If I go after a gunship and they respond by slamming into the nearest wall, great. They're dead, and I'm now free to go after someone else.

Edited by Bleeters

it's my understanding that crashing your ship grants an assist and associated requsition rewards to everyone who damaged you before that point, provided they haven't died in the meantime. Apart from achievement progress I don't think it really robs the attacker of anything.

The only thing it "robs" them of is the kill... bragging rights, etc. But I would wager that most people that do this could not care less that they gave the enemy some reqs.

Two players colluding could end a match in a couple minutes by boosting into the cap ship they spawn from. Suicides grant the other team a point, as others have pointed out.

Surprisingly, I haven't seen this behavior yet. Perhaps the baseline of SWTOR's playerbase is not as low as I have grown accustomed to.

I swear about half my deaths are by self inflicted barrel roll miscalculation. I fly on the edge and if im about to die under heavy fire/missile locks, i have no problem trying a barrel roll in a sea of asteroids, making it is glorious, and missing the window makes for some funny deaths.

Sorry you dont get the kill, but its not intentional for that, I wouldnt mind seeing a kill awarded for the person with the most damage on a suicide enemy...i just cant resist trying anything in my power no matter how small a chance to try to survive...if that carries me into an asteroid...well ... i go boom either way.

.i just cant resist trying anything in my power no matter how small a chance to try to urvive...if that carries me into an asteroid...well ... i go boom either way.

Correct. Denying a kill is meaningless, but avoiding a death has some value. I will rocket to my death and hope for success.