Let us make the forums more positive

Basreia

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Whining" is judgmental, as is "childish." And it's not a kind judgement.

Neither is calling out someone for "trolling", as you always accuse someone of doing when they don't say anything positive about this game.

:rolleyes:

Edited by MrJurgens

Less vitriol on both sides would do this forum a world of good.

Sure...that would be great. However, I have a theory about most posts like that...I think most players avoid posting on these forums for numerous reasons. When a player encounters a repeating issue or bug that prevents them from doing something they're trying to do, that's when I think we see the spirited and slightly rambling "rant" posts...they aren't nearly as coordinated as some people make them seem, nor are they as organized and fact filled as they could be...people post with emotion, it's natural.

Where our divide seems to come in most of the time is when people side with the Devs or the players (us vs them mentality). I tend to always side with a player, trying to understand and acknowledge that their issue is real and provide empathy with their situation. Some folks decide that it's more appropriate to mock or ridicule the post or the tone of the post than it is to understand the post, with comments like "why do you even play then?" or "we'd be better off without you"...those type of comments are DETRIMENTAL and drive me nuts.

I firmly believe that every person posting has some reason they'd like to keep playing, which means they'll keep paying (good for the game)...since I like this game, like the people I encounter mostly, and continue to enjoy my time spent playing it, I try to avoid critiquing the way someone posts and instead focus on the issue the player has. This game has problems...to deny them is foolish. Acknowledging the problem and supporting that an issue gets fixed is good for the game imo.

My point is...not every ranting post is made out of hatred of the game....they mostly come from frustrations that have built up over time. Don't be so quick to judge people by the way (tone) with which they post.

Then you don' t understand what whining is.

Luckily for me you do not define what I do and do not understand. Nor can you change what someone intends when they label a post as a "whine"...it is most definitely intended as an insult and a judgement, not an observation IMO.

Are there no whining children then? I guess this child isn't whiny either

I don't think you made the point you believe you made.

Seems observable to me.

...and that is your right. You have the right to see things any way you like.

I tend to choose to subscribe to reality and common sense instead of supposition and perversion of truth to serve my point.

Edited by LordArtemis

Hello everyone. I hope you all are well. Star Wars: The Old Republic is a fun, well balanced, great mmorpg with great stories, lovely cutscenes, great companions and overall a fun and enjoyable atmosphere created a lot by the players in game :)

However, as you cross over to the forums, you will see there are many dismal, degrading, whining, bickering posts that do nothing sometimes but cause chaos, destruction, hate, anger, rage, trolls, drama where there is none. Constructive criticism has all but vanished here. We need to pay more attention to making ourselves better on the forums while we give feedback, suggestions or just plain discuss whether we agree or disagree with something ;)

I know many do not agree with each other at times and sometimes it becomes an off topic bickering fest of ultimate destruction. Many viewpoints are brought up within the post. Let's remember to stay on topic of the post and agree/disagree in a more civilized, decent, respectable manner for everyone's sake :)

Recently though, I have seen a change for the better. It is MUCH better than this time last year or any other, but it's mostly still dismal and negative. Let's change that so we make this a better place :) Let's make Star Wars: The Old Republic's game forums the best game forum there ever was. Let's give great feedback with positive views and see things more optimist for both ourselves and others, for an overall general well being on here. The main goal is to have discussions. Not pointless argue matches. :)

Now! Let's start making the forums a better place. Bye everyone and I hope you take this seriously.

Edit: I have changed the title to be a more understanding and non petition since that is against the forum rules and frowned upon. I was just poking fun with my recent one ;) That's all

Greetings,

I've totally agree with you, TOR is a quality MMOrpg, whit lots of great futures...

Just to note: don't listen in these idiots, they don't understand a thing and just keep complaining about everything, there are decent people in TOR community as well so don't worry!...

May the force be with you...

Edited by sandisrd

The game cannot really move forward until we have an honest discussion about the major problems. But we continue to get propaganda threads like this, which are not gonna help...in the slightest.

"Hey. everything is rainbows and sunshine...Yay!" NOT!!!

This is the only positive post I seen in the 5 months I been reading the forums.

Please provide 10 sources of propaganda threads which promote positive discussion like this one, and it has be within 3 months.

Chances are, you can't provide it.

I think this is what she is speaking of- hyperbole, conjecture, accusation rather then input and information.

Wow has lost over 4 million subs and it is a pretty great game. F2P is not a sign of defeat but a paradigm shift within the MMO genre.

If we can shy away from this type of vitriol, and move toward more rationally thought out, intellectually sound, well researched contentions it truly would be a better place to visit.

Bingo, at least someone understands what the OP was trying to get at.

Oh wow, you can talk about the problems of a game without being a rude troll? <mind blown> ;)

Sad that it takes so long for people to wrap that around their head.

He's not complaining or protesting in a childish manner? I see him complaining, I see him protesting, and I see him doing it in a manner that is commonly displayed by children.

He's a child...he's acting like one. That's where it's the parents job to teach him what is right/wrong.

What point would that be then?

If you need to ask then I can't help you. I bet you can figure it out eventually.

I thought you were arguing against insults.

Yes, I would say it is pretty obvious that is what you would think.

Edited by LordArtemis

I wasn't defining it, I was stating a fact, a fact that you were (and still are) clearly unaware of. No need to thank me, just doing my civic duty. :D

You were stating nothing even close to a fact. You can dress it that way, but the contention is silly at best.

Perhaps your not aware of this, but what you shared was your opinion. And obviously not an intuitive one.

I have already proved my stance, and won. F2P saved this game from sinking and further. If it wasn't for that garbage model, this game would have failed. Except, it still failed. Over 2+ million players already agree with me. This game has a very bad reputation in the MMOverse.

Dear OP, this is why it's hard to discuss anything with people.

Post like the above, put a halt on any meaningful discussion to be had. He was asked to provide proof.

Yet the proof he offers is entirely personal views and opinion, then he goes on so the cliche "I'm right, you're wrong." rant because he know he lost.

And this is how the bickering back and forth happens, due to trolls like the post above.

Dear OP, this is why it's hard to discuss anything with people.

Post like the above, put a halt on any meaningful discussion to be had. He was asked to provide proof.

Yet the proof he offers is entirely personal views and opinion, then he goes on so the cliche "I'm right, you're wrong." rant because he know he lost.

And this is how the bickering back and forth happens, due to trolls like the post above.

It could also be argued that those trying to engage in off topic debate are also to blame for the "bickering". If you disagree with him and think he won't prove his point, move on. This forum is filled with opinions.

I have already proved my stance, and won. F2P saved this game from sinking and further. If it wasn't for that garbage model, this game would have failed. Except, it still failed. Over 2+ million players already agree with me. This game has a very bad reputation in the MMOverse.

All you have proven is what is self-evident even to children.... The F2P model is not failure, it is in fact THE successful business model in MMOs these days. The ONLY exceptions are OLD MMOs with installed bases that they can continue to bleed for subscritpions as they meaner their way to twilight.

You know what failure is for an MMO? When it shutters it's doors and sends the remaining players packing into the sunset. That is failure. Learn to tell the difference.

Now.. if you want to stick to your hyperbolic distortion of the word failure in the context of MMOs... then you are also a failure since you continue to play and subscribe to an alleged failure (your allegation, not mine). What's up with that?

Edited by Andryah

It could also be argued that those trying to engage in off topic debate are also to blame for the "bickering". If you disagree with him and think he won't prove his point, move on. This forum is filled with opinions.

Ah yes, that's the heart of the problem though. It's fine having opinions, I'm all for it.

But to spout them off as "facts", is what is misleading and well to be frank...just simple trolling in it's most basic form.

That is the difference between the two and the person I quoted, well he provided the latter. Now do you understand what I'm trying to say?

Also some off topic debates between maybe 2 or 3 posters might just be to flesh out a point that is within the context of the OP. At a glance, you might not notice it, but then you would have to re-read a lot of older stuff which some posters just don't want to do.

You were stating nothing even close to a fact. You can dress it that way, but the contention is silly at best.

Perhaps your not aware of this, but what you shared was your opinion. And obviously not an intuitive one.

Oh I see, definitions of words are opinions now. I missed that memo. Thanks for enlightening me. I've learned my 1 thing for today.

All you have proven is what is self-evident even to children.... The F2P model is not failure, it is in fact THE successful business model in MMOs these days. The ONLY exceptions are OLD MMOs with installed bases that they can continue to bleed for subscritpions as they meaner their way to twilight.

You know what failure is for an MMO? When it shutters it's doors and sends the remaining players packing into the sunset. That is failure. Learn to tell the difference.

Now.. if you want to stick to your hyperbolic distortion of the word failure in the context of MMOs... then you are also a failure since you continue to play and subscribe to an alleged failure (your allegation, not mine). What's up with that?

/Yawn

Same, rehashed argument. I grow tire of your apologist ways, Andryah. But go on, I love how I'm making you cry right now.

:rak_03:

The transition into the F2P model just shows how poorly games and their devs are delivering. But please, do keep trying to enlighten me on how you understand the MMO market. You sound very pragmatic right now.

:rolleyes:

I also recently posted a thread on how badly this game delivered, and that I have unsubbed. My sub on my original account is set to expire this October. No longer am I going to give money to a company that doesn't deserve it if it isn't going to the areas where it should be.

Edited by MrJurgens