New Classes

TyboJames

By design, the game will evolve, but where does it go from here. They did a good job of covering the bases and must haves of class design, but what's next?

The first mistake I think BW made was not making Bounty Hunter playable by both sides. They could have easily made a trooper style class for IMPs and then made BH have the decision to play either side at level 10.

Other class ideas:

Force Adept - A force wielding class of either alignment. No lightsabers, but have access to other melee weapons such as staves, vibro swords, etc. An example of this would be the Witches of Dantooine. An advanced class would be beast master, like how the witches control rancors and other pets with the force.

Beast Master - A hunter or beast master style class would be cool. I understand that each class already has companions, but there are plenty of ways around this. Your pet could either take the place of your companion in combat, or you could have both! This could also be an advanced class of the Force Adept.

Brawler - A monk style class - Teras Kasi master.

Anyone have any thoughts?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By design, the game will evolve, but where does it go from here. They did a good job of covering the bases and must haves of class design, but what's next?

It probably won’t evolve as much as you think.

If you want to know what TOR’s future will be like then just look at other F2P MMOs that started out as subscription based and then went F2P. Look at the amount of content they’ve add over X period of time/years, what their in-game stores offer, etc, etc.

Just about every MMO that gone down that^ path has been exactly the same. Not in the way the game plays or mechanically or anything like that but the time between updates, the amount of content provided in updates, etc, etc, is about the same across the board.

If this game had gone on to have the WoW like success that they expected we might have seen another class, but post F2P I don’t think it’s even an option anymore. The amount of time, money, and resources to make new class in TOR is a large undertaking compared to every other MMO out there.

When you look at the way the Imperial/Republic Fleet is laid out, does it really seem like they planned to add more classes?

The only time to my knowledge that one of the devs brought up the idea of a new class was in reference to Wookies, saying that in order to implement them properly they would really need to be their own class. I imagine that they would’ve been handled the same way Pandas were in WoW or the Romulan faction is in Star Trek Online, ie playing up to a certain point before deciding which side of the war you want to join.

Anyways, I still don’t see them adding any new classes, and often times the things people suggest are boring or just what we already have but on the other faction, ie SIS Agent for Rep, Trooper for Imps, etc.

I agree with Darth-Obvious - chances are there will be no new base classes. The best we can hope for is new advanced classes for the existing base classes. That way there is no need to create all new class stories and quests.

Another "shortcut" might be to create new prologue stories for the existing classes allowing players to choose which starting planet to begin on regardless of class choice.

Personally I'd rather see the Bounty Hunter and Smuggler as independents not tied to a side.

Put in Matukai Adept and Zeison Sha for force users as independents as well.

After that put in Imperial Guardsmen for the sith to replace BH, and to replace the smuggler I'd put in a nobleman or a scout. Don't know which one because both could be fun.

But the amount of rewriting and coding, probably never happen.

Personally I'd rather see the Bounty Hunter and Smuggler as independents not tied to a side.

After that put in Imperial Guardsmen for the sith to replace BH, and to replace the smuggler I'd put in a nobleman or a scout. Don't know which one because both could be fun.

totally agree with you on this. but what about i know we all can craft, but what about just a crafting class trader?

I agree with what you are saying about the Bounty hunter and smuggler being independent but I'm not to sure about the rest. A scout sounds alright though.

Sadly, the amount of truth and good ideas in this single post astonish me. A great idea, all around. A third, non-affiliated dynamic would make perfect sense. Able to go to every world, able to partake in every (non-class) quest. Their own class quest could allow decisions to join either side or to remain neutral or freelancing.

Adding a free lancer outpost would be all it's own.

Alas, as you mentioned, the playerbase may not be there and the amount of work that would have to go into it would be such a huge undertaking.. and at this stage, I don't personally know how I would pitch this as a good idea now. It would have been a fantastic idea earlier in development.

• 3 weeks later...
personally I would like to see a Mandalorian based class or classes not that I think it will happen.

This.

Please tell me what you think of my idea using the Mandos as the new empire class and the Echani as the new Republic class! I don't think it's too unrealistic. Honestly I think it's the only way they could go as far as new classes.

*ahem*

The Mandalorians and the Echani are rivals - exact opposites - yet they share values of honor and individual prowess. The Mandos, as we know, are mostly Empire-aligned, and the Echani from KOTOR2 are more partial to the ideals of the Republic. The reemergence of the Echani, and the conflict between the Echani and the Mandolorians, would be a solid ground for an expansion.

They both show skill in close combat, and even unarmed combat, so I'm thinking they would be good melee classes (this would also allow the Mandolorian to be even more different from the bounty hunter class) Here's something along the lines of what I'm thinking, as far as class and subclasses go:

EMPIRE CLASS - Mandalorian Raider

subclass - Mandalorian Gladiator (tank/dps) - uses heavy armor and large melee weapons, like the axe Mandalore uses in KOTOR2.

subclass - Mandalorian Scout (dps/healer) - uses light armor and a vibrosword.

REPUBLIC CLASS - Echani Monk (look the Echani up on Wookiepedia to learn more about them!)

subclass - Echani Sun Guard (tank/dps) the mirror of the Mandolorian Gladiator; uses heavy armor and double-bladed vibroswords.

subclass - Echani Duelist (dps/healer) mirror of the Mandolorian Scout;; uses light armor and fist weapons (since the echani excel in unarmed combat so well)

I agree with what you are saying about the Bounty hunter and smuggler being independent but I'm not to sure about the rest. A scout sounds alright though.

Honestly, the design basis for the game makes adding new classes seem unlikely. (Although i love the idea of Smugglers and Bounty Hunters being able to work with either faction.) SWTOR is very narrowly based on the simplest version of the generic MMO holy trinity of Tank/Healer/DPS, so unless you're asking for effectively a repeat of one of the existing classes with different visual effects for the skills i don't see where a new class would fit in without having to add a whole bunch of new skills and more balancing work unless it's basically a repeat of existing roles. (Although there is something to be said for keeping gameplay options highly limited for balancing purposes.)

Heck, i'd love to see Droid player characters for a variety of reasons, but that would definitely require entirely new classes and storylines. And there's the whole having to write, script, and voice act entire new storylines for any new classes in addition to any design and balancing concerns.

That said, there's no harm in asking, but i wouldn't bet on it since it would require significant resources to design and balance a class that does anything new, and i'm not sure the resources are there. (While i don't know where the devs stand on the idea i have seen people ranting in the public test server about how even allowing non-standard gearing specs makes balancing too hard to do. All new classes would trigger aneurysms.)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I agree to Echani , Mandalorians and Imperial Troopers, I also would like to see a middle class as a 3rd party to the war

Yeah, a lot of great MMOs seem to be going towards that third "neutral" faction, and those classes in the neutral faction are usually really cool. However, BW would need to add a couple races for the faction to be plausibly canon. Gammoreans? Weequay? Gand? Whatever they add, a "neutral" faction would be cool. :D