1v1 healer vs. dps

sirullrich

My only issue is that healing has become too easy, really good healers all ready could dominate a warzone but now I dont know whats changed but every healer in there is no different than any other healer. They all dominate, they obviously simplified something, i dont know if its the extra CC breakers or the extra hps makes it easier to spot someone dying or what but healing is really easy now. Bad players can switch to healing and dominate where as before bad players would suck whether they dpsed, healed, tanked or whatever. So in turn healing has become the go to class for bad players and as a result the average warzone is packed with healers and nobody dying which isnt fun for anybody. Edited by Resiel

When two descent geared and skilled players have a darn hard time killing an equally geared and skilled out of position scoundrel/operative healer on the move with instants, there's certainly a frustrating issue going on. Forget about the 1v1 thing here for a moment. Sages/sorcs and commandos/mercs are a different story and a debate regarding 1v1 is more valid for them, but seeing this god mod healer play out over and over again with scoundrels/operatives right now isn't much fun.

I think there's a distinction to be made here between easy and quick. I think a strong DPS should be able to kill a strong healer in a 1 vs 1. I don't think it should even be close - the DPS should win "easily".

However, that's different from it being quick. It's absolutely right that a healer, concentrating on keeping himself/herself alive should take a long time to die even against a determined, well geared DPS. If they die in less than 15 seconds (assuming they didn't make any silly mistakes) then there is probably something wrong with their survivability / cooldowns or game balance more generally. If nothing else, they should have the mobility to escape for a while (and this is perhaps one of the problems with Commando healers).

I don't understand the idea that people have that if one DPS can kill one healer (eventually) that makes healers pointless. The value a healer has is that (s)he can keep multiple group members alive for long periods of time - and you sometimes find that two decent healers are effectively negating all the damage done by the top 3 or 4 enemy DPS. That doesn't mean that on top of that they should be unkillable in 1 vs. 1 fights.

Sorry what meant was just in any situation. Not just for rateds. Should a dps be able to wipe the floor against a healer 1v1. I say no, but lot's of dps feel that it should be easy to kill a healer 1v1.

In a true 1v1 like a duel, i think the dps should win, but only after the healer runs oom so after a pretty long time. Against a tank, the healer should win because the tank doesn't have enough dps to force the healer to only heal himself, but again it should take forever. The tank should win against the dps because the dps cannot mitigate or heal the damage the tank puts out, so the tank should be able to outlast the dps

I have nothing to back that up though, that's just what i feel would be balanced

In a true 1v1 like a duel, i think the dps should win, but only after the healer runs oom so after a pretty long time. Against a tank, the healer should win because the tank doesn't have enough dps to force the healer to only heal himself, but again it should take forever. The tank should win against the dps because the dps cannot mitigate or heal the damage the tank puts out, so the tank should be able to outlast the dps

I have nothing to back that up though, that's just what i feel would be balanced

This is your first MMO, right?

I think there's a distinction to be made here between easy and quick. I think a strong DPS should be able to kill a strong healer in a 1 vs 1. I don't think it should even be close - the DPS should win "easily".

However, that's different from it being quick. It's absolutely right that a healer, concentrating on keeping himself/herself alive should take a long time to die even against a determined, well geared DPS. If they die in less than 15 seconds (assuming they didn't make any silly mistakes) then there is probably something wrong with their survivability / cooldowns or game balance more generally. If nothing else, they should have the mobility to escape for a while (and this is perhaps one of the problems with Commando healers).

I don't understand the idea that people have that if one DPS can kill one healer (eventually) that makes healers pointless. The value a healer has is that (s)he can keep multiple group members alive for long periods of time - and you sometimes find that two decent healers are effectively negating all the damage done by the top 3 or 4 enemy DPS. That doesn't mean that on top of that they should be unkillable in 1 vs. 1 fights.

This is a good post and is exactly how it is in game right now.

it is, yes ;-.) where did i go wrong?

I could just tell.

Some people don't realise what it would be like to have healers that should die to 1 DPS, especially in a group based PVP game where you can have multiple DPS on you at one time. If 1 DPS can kill a healer "easily" then 2 DPS is gonna wipe the floor with said healer, and it isnt hard to get on a healer in this game. Stealth/gap closer/pull you have a load of options available to you.

Baiting a healer out isnt hard also. Can you imagine what it would be like for you as a dps to have 0 heals. Focus fire is just gonna cause games to be 2 attacks and dead.

This is my experience with the last 12 years of MMO's

I could just tell.

Some people don't realise what it would be like to have healers that should die to 1 DPS, especially in a group based PVP game where you can have multiple DPS on you at one time. If 1 DPS can kill a healer "easily" then 2 DPS is gonna wipe the floor with said healer, and it isnt hard to get on a healer in this game. Stealth/gap closer/pull you have a load of options available to you.

Baiting a healer out isnt hard also. Can you imagine what it would be like for you as a dps to have 0 heals. Focus fire is just gonna cause games to be 2 attacks and dead.

This is my experience with the last 12 years of MMO's

oh but that was really not what i was saying.

In a true 1v1 like a duel, i think the dps should win, but only after the healer runs oom so after a pretty long time

My main is a sage healer, and i played tons of practice duels. Against good people i usually lose, but it's very rare that i lose in less than 5 minutes (snipers depending on the terrain, middle tree juggs for some reason, probably just because i havent figured out what to do against them). that's not exactly easy and in most warzones, not very useful.

edit: just for clarification, are you saying healers should win 1v1 tournaments?

Edited by sanchito

oh but that was really not what i was saying.

My main is a sage healer, and i played tons of practice duels. Against good people i usually lose, but it's very rare that i lose in less than 5 minutes (snipers depending on the terrain, middle tree juggs for some reason, probably just because i havent figured out what to do against them). that's not exactly easy and in most warzones, not very useful.

edit: just for clarification, are you saying healers should win 1v1 tournaments?

That's the problem with most of the community, they divide skill up with class/spec.

If the healer is a better player than the DPS then healer should win

If the DPS is a better player than the healer then the DPS is gonna win.

If they are of equal skill, then RNG is the winner.

Balance in a group based PVP game, does not get determined from 1 on 1's. THATS JUST SILLY.