ESO Review... not looking good.

Eric_Riot

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ESO = DBA (Dead BEFORE Arrival)

Yes, we all know ESO ______ (fill in word that rhymes with ducks and starts with an 's')*, but this thread belongs in Off-Topic.

*Yes, I was one of the unfortunates that has played the beta.

Edited by TheOuroborus

So.. someone reviewed a game not out launched yet based on beta experiences. How interesting...

ESO is not entirely an MMO, its more of a single player ES game with the ability to group and play a DAOC type RvR setup. All that being said, I had a hell of alot of fun playing it and plan on picking it up at launch.

That being said, how many millions of people thought SWTOR was a stinking turd and quit two months in? Two and a half, somewhere around there I think?

Opinions and ******e's bud. Make your own opinion.

Edited by SammuelSK

Duran'del here:

I'm going to take the review with a grain of salt, mostly because in another review, he said Titanfall was just "CoD with Mechs", which it's not.

I don't trust that man.

I don't like the ES series anyway, so I don't really care about the game.

I tried the beta three times as a healer. There is no visual information as to how much you healed for, when your hots finish, or even an indicator if your heal actually healed your intended target!! Plus, the healing spells I had all emanate from me, not my intended target, so I had to run up and be close to my groups in order to be sure the heals worked. Plus the tooltips for the healing did not mention a range or anything from which the spell can be cast, which doesn't really matter because you have no way to tell how far away you are from a target. Crazy.

It was a review full of prose and hyperbole and very little substance. The first 40% of it talks about his expectations, what he liked about Bethesda rpgs (relevant but not over-relevant), and a bit about MMOs in general with nary a reference to the game under review. I can't really tell from his review how far he got beyond the newbie areas if at all which is not nearly enough to judge an mmo on. Edited by Savej

I wasn't a fan of ESO myself, but never base your opinion off of one review. Or even a few reviews. Talk to people you know whose opinion you trust, and try it out. That's the only way to get a real feel for it. Because newsflash, people have different tastes.

Duran'del here:

I'm going to take the review with a grain of salt, mostly because in another review, he said Titanfall was just "CoD with Mechs", which it's not.

I don't trust that man.

I don't like the ES series anyway, so I don't really care about the game.

Then you may like it :) I'm not a big Skyrim fan, but I enjoyed the Beta. A lot of the so-so reviews, and certainly the one referenced, didn't like it because it is too different from ES single player games, I mean it is an MMO.

P.S. Supposedly there were about 5 million people signed up for the Beta. Even if only a small fraction of that decide to play it will do alright.

Edited by Erasimus

P.S. Supposedly there were about 5 million people signed up for the Beta. Even if only a small fraction of that decide to play it will do alright.

The question is how many might stick with the game for the long run, I wouldn't be too surprised if the game will see the same drop in subs in a few month which pretty much happens to every MMO. So, I am looking forward to how long it will take that game to go F2P...

Anyway, what has this to do with SWTOR?

The question is how many might stick with the game for the long run, I wouldn't be too surprised if the game will see the same drop in subs in a few month which pretty much happens to every MMO. So, I am looking forward to how long it will take that game to go F2P...

Anyway, what has this to do with SWTOR?

Well, there 'is' a mention in the review about the lack of commitment to TOR-level Storytelling in TESO. And no lightsabers, either.

Yes let's post a review about a game still in beta just so we can make ourselves feel better about SWTOR

Early access is March 31st, not much if anything will change from what beta is showing right now

Edited by Sangrar

First off.. it still was in BETA and some of the items he mentioned have been reported to fix already.

Secondly.. that reviewer didn't even level to 10 and check out any dungeons or PVP. So I'll take his half witted review it with a grain of salt. Did he run across the SAME mission bugs as the rest of the folks? YES...

Yes let's post a review about a game still in beta just so we can make ourselves feel better about SWTOR

First impressions are everything. And I doubt it will the core of the game will change much from beta to the finished product.

I have no particular interest in ESO, not for or against myself.

First impressions are everything. And I doubt it will the core of the game will change much from beta to the finished product.

I have no particular interest in ESO, not for or against myself.

I got in to beta a few of the stress test weekends and it was kinda meh..I'm not THAT impressed by it...but on the same hand it was better than I was expecting.

That review is garbage though....The guy goes on about his expectations and harps on it not being like the Single-Player games more...It was never supposed to be and they said a loooooong time ago that you weren't going to have THAT much freedom. So at this point, his gripes about that are his own stupidity.

I doubt I'll buy it (esp if it's $60) But it's not as bad as that review claims...

Will it fail as hard as SWTOR did and go F2P before it was even a year old? I guess we'll find out.

ESO has some nice things going for it, like regular ES games you have more options on how your ch. lvls The biggest plus to ESO is the environment, it is by far superior (i.m.p.) to Old Republic ESO having night and day weather etc. Another cool thing is that they have a way to have pvp battles actually matter and influence the game by being able to become emperor of the lands. This last bit would be something really nice for Old Republic cause there really isn't any advancing of the factions (Republic vs Imperials) no lands that can be conquered, special resources again, nothing. Unless we wait a year or so for the developers to maybe come up with something for a story. 2.5 years and Old Republic moves at a snails pace if that for any major content.

ESO has some nice things going for it, like regular ES games you have more options on how your ch. lvls The biggest plus to ESO is the environment, it is by far superior (i.m.p.) to Old Republic ESO having night and day weather etc. Another cool thing is that they have a way to have pvp battles actually matter and influence the game by being able to become emperor of the lands. This last bit would be something really nice for Old Republic cause there really isn't any advancing of the factions (Republic vs Imperials) no lands that can be conquered, special resources again, nothing. Unless we wait a year or so for the developers to maybe come up with something for a story. 2.5 years and Old Republic moves at a snails pace if that for any major content.

Sorry, all I heard was 'lol pvp.'

People are going to like what they like, reviews are for idiots that can't make their own decisions

I enjoy plenty of movies that may have had poor reviews because I like stuff that I like and not what someone else thinks I like, the reviews for avatar were awesome but I hated that movie because I had already seen fern gully, now human centipede, that's a movie

I played the beta and i also found it boring. Animations are stiff and the combat system is lacking. Anyways it brings nothing new to the mmo market , so i don't understand why their is any hype at all.

Well, there 'is' a mention in the review about the lack of commitment to TOR-level Storytelling in TESO. And no lightsabers, either.

TOR doesn't even have TOR-level storytelling anymore. That stuff exists purely in the launch content at this point.