Companion weapon choices

Bxvx

So I know they made it so they don't get stats from items. But does the weapon really matter or is it just for show now? I was messing around on my sniper and decided to give Kaliyo a obnoxious looking blaster rifle instead of her sniper rifle. Was just wondering if weapons mattered or not.

I'm a dummy and thought she was using a sniper rifle turns out it was a blaster rifle but I was still checking what weapons to give her. Before I asked here I googled it and most said pistol/shield, but she can only use 1 weapon now it seems so I'm guessing it really doesn't matter anymore.

It depends upon the companion. Some can use a sniper rifle or a blaster rifle, some can use lightsaber or a techstaff, etc. But you can't use just any weapon. A companion that uses a rifle or blaster can not use a lightsaber, for example.

You can generally equip them with any weapon you can equip them with. Most companion dps skills require a weapon, but you can actually remove their weapon. The problem is that if you remove the weapon they want to run in and melee the enemies with their fists. 😏