So I have never done a HM Flash Point...

Mr_Elotes

Just like the title states. Not one. Now that I think about it, I have done only 1 and it was pre-50 (the one where you cross something and if you are too unsober, the beam kills you since you cant stop looking in to light). I pvp 98% of the time with usually the only pve stuff that I do are the black hole dailies. Thats it.

So what's the point of this thread? After a year of playing the game, I wanna try some flash points. I usually see on the fleet "must know fights" and what not so I know that they do not want an unexperienced person and I dont want to waste their time as well as mine by asking for an invite. Now I do not want to join a guild in order to do flash points. I know a few ppl have been willing to let me run with them and on top of it, they actually said that I can use my dps operative. I kinda don't wanna hamper the team and give ppl back problems for carrying me. I have a few other 50's and kinda wanna try them out. I usually play late night (midnightish to 6-7ish pst sun-tues).

So if you feel like showing someone who usually only PVPs to do Flash points (I do understand cc NPCs and not using aoes to "wake" them and focusing on one of them) it will be greatly appreciated and more than likely help me enjoy the game even more. Send me a whisper in game or reply in this thread and I'll hit you up. Thanks a ton in advance.

_Wait for the tank to pull first.

_Kill order for mobs is from weakest to strongest.

_Avoid aoe.

_You should attack the mob that the tank is currently attacking (when all the others weaker mobs are cleared).

*Or you can just play it safe, imitate the other dps in the group if possible.

That's all you need for HM FP.

Just like the title states. Not one. Now that I think about it, I have done only 1 and it was pre-50 (the one where you cross something and if you are too unsober, the beam kills you since you cant stop looking in to light). I pvp 98% of the time with usually the only pve stuff that I do are the black hole dailies. Thats it.

So what's the point of this thread? After a year of playing the game, I wanna try some flash points. I usually see on the fleet "must know fights" and what not so I know that they do not want an unexperienced person and I dont want to waste their time as well as mine by asking for an invite. Now I do not want to join a guild in order to do flash points. I know a few ppl have been willing to let me run with them and on top of it, they actually said that I can use my dps operative. I kinda don't wanna hamper the team and give ppl back problems for carrying me. I have a few other 50's and kinda wanna try them out. I usually play late night (midnightish to 6-7ish pst sun-tues).

So if you feel like showing someone who usually only PVPs to do Flash points (I do understand cc NPCs and not using aoes to "wake" them and focusing on one of them) it will be greatly appreciated and more than likely help me enjoy the game even more. Send me a whisper in game or reply in this thread and I'll hit you up. Thanks a ton in advance.

First of all, if you PvP all the time, I'm assuming you have all WH or EWH, which is pretty close to Rakata Gear, when most of the HMFP are meant to be done in Tionese/Columi so even if you're being carried, you should feel pretty light.

My question is, why do you want to do HM FP's? They're pretty much exactly the same as the SM versions, with stronger mobs. So if you're looking for an egaging gaming experience, you're probably not going to find it in HMFP's. Plus at the risk of sounding like an elitist PvPer...they are kinda easy. Anyone saying "must know fights" for anything other than LI or Kaon, probably isn't very good themselves.

My advice is just use the GF. You'll almost always get in there with someone who knows how to skip 85% of the trash. Just tell them up front "never done this before, so I'm following you". Grind out some BH comms/Gear, then run some Operations, which CAN be engaging and challenging.

First of all, if you PvP all the time, I'm assuming you have all WH or EWH, which is pretty close to Rakata Gear, when most of the HMFP are meant to be done in Tionese/Columi so even if you're being carried, you should feel pretty light.

My question is, why do you want to do HM FP's? They're pretty much exactly the same as the SM versions, with stronger mobs. So if you're looking for an egaging gaming experience, you're probably not going to find it in HMFP's. Plus at the risk of sounding like an elitist PvPer...they are kinda easy. Anyone saying "must know fights" for anything other than LI or Kaon, probably isn't very good themselves.

My advice is just use the GF. You'll almost always get in there with someone who knows how to skip 85% of the trash. Just tell them up front "never done this before, so I'm following you". Grind out some BH comms/Gear, then run some Operations, which CAN be engaging and challenging.

I might have been a little vague in my post. I have only done 1 flash point, ever and it was pre-50. Also, please correct me if I am wrong, but I thought SM flash points are pre- 50? Or are they "entry" level mode for the flash point at 50? I took HM flash points as being this. And apparently they are also different from operations. Is the only difference the difficulty and number of ppl (4 to 8)? I am truly ignorant when it comes to what is what on flash points. You are correct, most of my toons are either min/max or partially there in e/wh gear. As far as a reason for me doing them? I guess, for me, it is something new that the game has to offer me after a year of playing it.

Edited by Mr_Elotes

I might have been a little vague in my post. I have only done 1 flash point, ever and it was pre-50. Also, please correct me if I am wrong, but I thought SM flash points are pre- 50? Or are they "entry" level mode for the flash point at 50? I took HM flash points as being this. And apparently they are also different from operations. Is the only difference the difficulty and number of ppl (4 to 8)? I am truly ignorant when it comes to what is what on flash points. You are correct, most of my toons are either min/max or partially there in e/wh gear. As far as a reason for me doing them? I guess, for me, it is something new that the game has to offer me after a year of playing it.

SM flashpoints are from Black Talon at level 10, all the way up to False Emperor and Battle of Ilum at level 50 etc. I was just saying that the only difference between HM and SM is toughness of bad guys. Sorry I mistakenly assumed you had run the SM FP's as you were leveling.

The difference between FP's and Operations, is yes, 4 man vs 8 man (Or 16). But in general operations tend to be a lot more involved, with much more complicated mechanics for the Boss Fights and of course with much better gear and mat drops (Dulfy.net to see what).

And by all means knock out some HM flashpoints, I was just sharing my opinion that if you are looking for something new other than PvP, operations are a lot more interesting/challenging than FP's. And in WH/EWH, you should be good all the way up to TFB SM, with a competent team around you.

Yep. Like dude said. HMFP's are pretty easy. Especially because the people that you get in a queue group with know how to skip most of the trash. I thought that when I first played them, that they would be difficult. But I saw that they weren't any harder than the SM versions. Granted. I am in full WH gear cause all I do is PvP. But yeah. They are pretty easy.

_Wait for the tank to pull first.

_Kill order for mobs is from weakest to strongest.

_Avoid aoe.

_You should attack the mob that the tank is currently attacking (when all the others weaker mobs are cleared).

*Or you can just play it safe, imitate the other dps in the group if possible.

That's all you need for HM FP.

Pretty much this right here.

Anyone saying "must know fights" for anything other than LI or Kaon, probably isn't very good themselves.

That's not really the case with the other FPs you mention. People say that because they want to breeze through the content, skip mobs, and kind of just steamroll the boss fights without having to take time to kill trash mobs along the way and explain the fights before they happen. That's all. It's just people wanting to save time.

I've done fp's the same way you have, as WH gear pvp player with no pve knowledge.

If you're really worried a group won't take you, use google and learn the fights beforehand. You could also do the story one first to get the hang of it since you'll vastly out level most of the sm fp's. Just make sure you read up on boss mechanics since hm bosses have new attacks.

Shouldn't really be that hard though, most of the earlier fp's were designed to be done in tionese which WH vastly outlevels.

It's usually best to go with a Story Mode before trying Hard Mode, since some of the flashpoints can be done easily, learning the fights as you go. As for gear War Hero Gear does outrank Tionese and Columni easily but it's no replacement, due to the expertise does nothing for you in a Flashpoint, it's just my way of going at it, have both types of gear instead of one even if you have to start with tionese as everyone else does. As it's known PvP Gear has a disadvantage in PvE as PvE Gear has a disadvantage in PvP.

I did a HM flashpoint last night after not playing for a year on my Commando lol, I was very bad, but we won. I just had on champion gear with a couple pieces of War Hero lol

Don't sweat it, you can learn on the fly. I had played that Op a couple of times in the past, but like I said, a year ago. I don't remember even the SM version going that smoothly with the guys I ran with back then, and that's when I knew *** I was doing. I hope I was helpful.

Thanks for all the great replies and positive feedback. I am going to try some of them soon. Thanks to all those that replied and the thanks for not trolling or derailing this. This thread may be helpful to some others who are afraid or just aren't willing to try FPs or OPs for some reason or another. Edited by Mr_Elotes

Just use the groupfinder to queue for some of the easier ones first. Taral V (when they get it fixed) and Esseles aren't too bad once you know the encounters a bit.

"Knowing the fights" is kind of innocuous. Go read the guides on dulfy.net so you understand what the basic tactics are for the bosses. Most of these fights are tactics fights and not really gear checks. Once you know how to deal with Darth Malgus, Grand Moff Kilran, Ironfist, etc... The fights become pretty easy (with a capable group).

Another suggestion. Find some solid players and add them to your friends list. If you can pre-group with one or two people (or even 3 if possible) that you know and are used to playing with, it makes it all that much easier.

Oh, and one last piece of advice. Avoid Lost Island [HARD]. At least early on, unless you are grouped with people who know those fights well.. Otherwise.. well it will be painful (and expensive).