Ranked WZ is too hardcore as it is now, something needs to change.

Ashuranrx

1. Make WZ and RWZ cross server to increase player pool. Although, BW doesn’t seem to like this idea because it kills the “community.”

I don't tthink its they don't like the idea. I think they physically can't due to system limitations and lack of actual skill by those maintaining and finishing development on the system. Heck they have to manually do character transfers. This is a step back to the 90s.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup because we know everybody's comms and we know magically who were going to be qued with. And even then some people cannot tab out and join stuff quick enough anyways. Get serious with your answers lol

Are you 'special'???

There's this thing called Ops chat. There's this nice long delay in between queues (typically 10-30 minutes) that allows for plenty of time for people to get on the same voice comm. I've done it in a full on pug.

Anyone that can't tab out and join a new server in 5 minutes doesn't belong queueing for a ranked warzone.

My answers are serious. Until the day Bioware makes ranked warzones far less restrictive then they are currently, they will continue to be a feature almost entirely ignored by their gaming population. It sucks, normals are unrewarding, and quite frankly boring after a couple each day. Until pigs fly and open world pvp becomes possible again...

Edited by islander

I fully blame the players. Having an MMO background of playing Star Wars Galaxies where there was basically ZERO content as far as pvp goes (just flag pvp and go find people) it was all up to the players to create the pvp and do things to keep it going and it would keep going for hours and hours at a time. This is an MMO, Play the game, make some friends, do the things you want to do. It shouldn't be up to Bioware to do everything for us to make the game playable. Some things the players do need to control. (Like the whole OWpvp situation) Sure changes DO NEED to be made for rateds, wont disagree there.

IDK if cross server were added a lot of stuff could be fixed to help rateds like actual bracketing system so the top tier teams are stomping out the newbie teams. We need the population and people to be able to make all this effective.

If Bioware's game engine choice wasn't so horrible, if their actual attention to open world pvp and rewards from such actually existed from day 1 (as they claimed it did), then we wouldn't be sitting here relying on their fairly broken ranked warzone system to begin with.

I fully blame the players. Having an MMO background of playing Star Wars Galaxies where there was basically ZERO content as far as pvp goes (just flag pvp and go find people) it was all up to the players to create the pvp and do things to keep it going and it would keep going for hours and hours at a time. This is an MMO, Play the game, make some friends, do the things you want to do. It shouldn't be up to Bioware to do everything for us to make the game playable. Some things the players do need to control. (Like the whole OWpvp situation) Sure changes DO NEED to be made for rateds, wont disagree there.

IDK if cross server were added a lot of stuff could be fixed to help rateds like actual bracketing system so the top tier teams are stomping out the newbie teams. We need the population and people to be able to make all this effective.

I can't compare this to SWG as far as player created content (btw I had the first wookie jedi unlock in that game, was offered $2900 for my account haha, I had to grind 17 professions, I think I popped on smuggler....). The open world pvp in that game was epic in scale and it was player created. BUT, we also had our own player built Pub and Imp cities that people defended with video game pride, there was an actual war. There is nothing to defend in this game. Well I've defended Novare coast a thousand times, ha so lame. There was no instanced pvp in SWG (I think instanced pvp is a crap model for building any sort of community).

If this game somehow went the route of open world sandbox it could be the best game of all time. Players would create endless pvp content. I remember being hired as a guard in SWG so crafters could get to their mining equipment safely. I remember playing body guard (against bounty hunters, who could track you down) for a friend who recently unlocked his jedi. So many times that would turn out to be an all out war. Why? Because I would destroy the bounty hunter and he would get friends to come and try to kill me. It was epic. I died 4 times (haha oh yes I remember) in total on my jedi (over 2 years). The chance to kill an epic player in that game was worth everyone dropping what they were doing to go after you. To be honest when I started playing this game I was shocked that I died so early on. I thought I was going to lose my toon or have to regrind 5 lvls (like I would have if I died early on my jedi in SWG), then I realized there is no "death mechanic" in TOR. All combat is a zerg with no consequences.

This game has none of those toons for players to feed off of. And it's too bad. Game could be epic.

Edited by CharterMonkKent

All the PVP elites on PVE servers would be ROFLSTOMPED if they went against PVPers of a PVP server.

:D

They'd complain and want the old system back.

:rak_03:

lol... You'd think so, but so many rerolls from fatman and bastion come to Jedi covenant server and get humbled quickly

All the PVP elites on PVE servers would be ROFLSTOMPED if they went against PVPers of a PVP server.

Because PvP:ers on PvP-servers play more Warzones than those on PvE-servers? Yeah, that sounds plausible...

I'm betting the difference in skill is miniscule, on average.

It's amazing how people clung to SWG when there wasn't a whole lot to do in that game. I think if players put forth more effort themselves instead of crying to BW so much things could be much better here.

I don't understand your perspective of players being the problem in this or any MMO. The players do what they want with what they are provided. Many don't like the dismal pvp offerings in this game.

Also I think anyone being reasonable would say 5 wzs isn't a whole lot to do pvp wise in this game (or any game). PvP is less than 1% of the game's content. As I and others have said, there is more content on the starter planets than all of the pvp content provided. Players can't do much with instanced pvp that is fed by a gear reward system.

Edited by CharterMonkKent

I don't tthink its they don't like the idea. I think they physically can't due to system limitations and lack of actual skill by those maintaining and finishing development on the system. Heck they have to manually do character transfers. This is a step back to the 90s.

Absolutely this. I think they want to, but their gaming system is terrible. here we are a year + into development and they still can't collect monies from people wanting to PAY for character transfers.

I Players can't do much with instanced pvp that is fed by a gear reward system.

Exactly what I was indicating earlier. Nothing was more disappointing to me back in January of 2012 when I learned that I HAD to gear from warzones in order to be viable in open world PvP. Talk about *** backwards.

Edited by islander

I don't understand your perspective of players being the problem in this or any MMO. The players do what they want with what they are provided. Many don't like the dismal pvp offerings in this game.

Also I think anyone being reasonable would say 5 wzs isn't a whole lot to do pvp wise in this game (or any game). PvP is less than 1% of the game's content. As I and others have said, there is more content on the starter planets than all of the pvp content provided. Players can't do much with instanced pvp that is fed by a gear reward system.

Because players can do things to make content and make things more fun.

Because players can do things to make content and make things more fun.

They do. I have another thread about that. I've done seemingly all I can with pvp in this game. The only suggestions people seem to have is that many of the original pvpers are going to take a break and see what pvp content comes with 1.7/Hutt.

But here's the rub. There are two sets of people in an MMO.

Players - Those who pay and play.

Developers - Those who are payed and continually develop content.

Because real PvP happens on PvP servers. It isn't just a gankfest until level cap (and is still a gankfest at level cap).

More true would be that PvE servers are for people who want to level without getting stomped by max level toons while they are in the middle of questing.

I doubt there is any difference in skill between the server types.

/agree

There closing door for any new team, cuz for example on our server we have 6-8 teams which playing together monthes and monthes and simply destroy every new team every time. Its really not fun for good players, which individually quite good, but dont play together as 8-man one team before...

yeah it's sad they don't have the player pool to even do this unless they added cross server and for some reason bioware seems very anti-cross server. Matchmaking and Cross server is the only way ranked will get more complete and have lower level teams still queing and facing each other.

Some of you stated that players should be the ones that take initiative to make RWZ work; I completely disagree with this point. If the competition system itself is flawed and discourages players from participating, then having the players put in extra effort and time to make the system work is just taxing and not worthwhile for the players. That is like saying if NFL is not working, then professional football players and coaches should put in extra effort and time to make NFL work. But it doesn’t work like that. NFL gets paid to make the system work, if it is not working well then they find people who can make it work, not the players and coaches. Same for RWZ, BW gets paid to make RWZ work. If it is not working, then BW needs to find people who can make it work. The players focus on the RWZ games, not the system.

Another suggestion I would make is to make all WZ ranked and allow any group number to queue, from solo to 8. Then let the ratings match players. The rating would define the players’ skill, gear, and effort put forth in making groups.

There are a LOT of players that are in situations where the competition doesn't deter then - the system itself does.

My guild just put out a feeler for a second ranked team (which has failed to be produced in previous attempts). No less then two other snipers besides myself volunteered. So, do we carry 2-3 snipers and lose every time because other teams have "the right class formula"? Or do we once again have one or two ranked capable snipers sitting on the sidelines because of Bioware's terribly restrictive system...

You don't need cross server que. The only reason the the pool for rated wz is small is because the larger experienced PvP guilds have rofl stomped the casual teams. If they introduce brackets or something to that effect more people will play and be able to gain experience.

And many, many PVP players have already left the game as well. Rated WZs are so lame. Yeah I wan't to showcase my PVP skill by playing the same 3 WZs five hundred times and beat up on teams of newbies. Sounds pretty impressive.

Some of you stated that players should be the ones that take initiative to make RWZ work; I completely disagree with this point. If the competition system itself is flawed and discourages players from participating, then having the players put in extra effort and time to make the system work is just taxing and not worthwhile for the players. That is like saying if NFL is not working, then professional football players and coaches should put in extra effort and time to make NFL work. But it doesn’t work like that. NFL gets paid to make the system work, if it is not working well then they find people who can make it work, not the players and coaches. Same for RWZ, BW gets paid to make RWZ work. If it is not working, then BW needs to find people who can make it work. The players focus on the RWZ games, not the system.

Another suggestion I would make is to make all WZ ranked and allow any group number to queue, from solo to 8. Then let the ratings match players. The rating would define the players’ skill, gear, and effort put forth in making groups.

Well I think you are wrong too. The NFL is a UNION which means if something is not right with the NFL the UNION steps in and will try to make changes.

Bioware says it would ruin community as an excuse because it sounds better than "We can't do it"

That is pretty much it in a nutshell. Nearly a year ago Daniel Erickson said they were going to do cross-server. Since then they have apparently decided the business case for this is bad. RWZ preseason was only ever intended to be a beta for the code they had (hence the name: preseason).

The problem is not that BW does not know what needs fixing (match scheduling, RWZ reconnects, challenge matches, season one). The problem is that, since preseaon was implemented, PvP has dropped off their priority list. (Releasing Hypergates, while nice, does not count as addressing vital structural issues). Will they do something this year besides giving us yet another WZ or a new skill tree with the new level cap? Who knows ... they certainly are not going to tell us in advance.

The best part of SWtoR PvP is its high complexity compared to PvP in other MMOs. It's good because it really allows player skill rather than other variables to become the dominant factor in determining who wins a battle. For example the difference in effectiveness for a player in full WH gear vs. that same player in full EWH augmented gear is maybe 10-15%. But a high skill player is easily 50% or more effective than a low skill player.

Agree.

However the side effect of having a complex combat system is that the high skill players are operating at a level so far above the low skill players that the low skill players view the learning curve as simply too steep.

It's just not clear how (if it is possible at all) to reconcile that steep learning curve without removing the combat system's complexity.

The learning curve is not the problem -- it is what makes a deep game deep. Any game that is deep (e.g. chess and go) take a long time to reach the top levels of play. The problem is match scheduling. If you know in advance that team A is 98th percentile in skill, don't queue it up against team B which you know is 10th percentile in skill because that is boring for both sides.

What needs to change is BW's prioritizing of structural improvements for PvP. Perhaps someone can make a compelling argument that improving PvP WZ will have a good ROI.

Edited by funkiestj