Stealth classes bjorked in expansion

Maeklos

Hey, can we get the encounters in KotFE changed so that the enemies don't IMMEDIATELY start attacking you as soon as they spawn? This makes playing a stealth class entirely pointless, since the stupid skytroopers just shoot you out of stealth (sometimes even using Suppressing Fire before they're fully spawned) and that's-that. Needs to be fixed.

Is this some kind of joke? If they didn't have the Skytroopers spawn on top of you stealthers would be able to skip 95% of the combat and only fight bosses. As it is you can still avoid a HUGE amount of fighting with stealth. Star Fortresses can be completed by only killing bosses and the 2 or 3 groups that spawn aggroed. Might wanna play a bit farther before you utter such ridiculous complaints.

Yes, having played through this expansion, it does get easier when you get to the non-scripted stuff. HOWEVER, the entirety of the story-based content makes it worthless to play as a stealth class, as I said. Being an Operative who relies on that first strike from hiding to set up a proper rotation, having *every* fight take me out of stealth means that I can't fight like I should be able to. Instead, I'm turned into a retarded wannabe Marauder or something. I'm used to that from boss fights in missions, since they typically go right into a fight after a cut scene, but to have to deal with being caught flat-footed *every* *single* *fight*? It's annoying. Would be like if BW said, "Hey, Skytroopers have jets, right? So they're going to fly around now. You can only hit them with ranged attacks. Have fun!"

I get it, you're upset, but ima tell you right now that you sound absolutely stupid. If your analogy were true, then i guess I should cry in the sniper forums that "ads are f@cking coming STRAIGHT to my face, what's the point of being a sniper if they walk up to me!?!?"

You get caught out of stealth, big deal, probe up, crippling slice and THEN backstab. If you're really that narrow minded in your class that you just utterly fail to adapt to a mediocre road block like this then either this isn't the class for you or this isn't the game for you.

Again, I get that you're upset, but understand that there's a difference between broken and a frustrating mechanic.

Edit: and in regards to your last analogy; there are plenty of encounters that force melee's to back away from the boss to 10+ meters making jugg/mara/sin dps pretty much pointless until that phase ends.

Edited by Callmesleepy

Uh, first of all, this isn't one fight. This is EVERY fight in the story content. As a sniper, how would you like it if EVERY fight prevented you from using cover? Sure, can pop off shots standing. But AoE? Nope. Sorry. Cover bonuses? Nope. Got to stand and fight! Every. Fight.

As for stupid...learn a bit. Trying to point out what's wrong with someone else's complaint based upon your own outsider viewpoint is stupid. :p That's like me complaining that my shoes are tight, you looking at them and going, "They look fine. You're just stupid." So, unless you can talk with practical experience, BTFO.

Edited by Maeklos

So it definitely isn't every fight. I'm not sure where that comes from. Honestly, the combat in KOTFE's story is so simple--especially at the beginning when most of the ambushes are--that this just doesn't seem to be a significant concern.

Just hit up Crippling slice and backstab away. The loss of a tactical advantage isn't a big deal since you get one for every minion you defeat.

So, I'm pretty sure the OP means every fight that starts immediately after a conversation or when fights are spawned by an action, such as in bonus mission final stages.

I'm having the same problem and it is rather frustrating when the tactics that have been the standard for level 1 - 50 and for some, beyond, no longer work. It's confusing and really annoying when it hits you without warning. It wasn't listed in changes/fixes for the update, kills the standard rotation, and when playing solo, ruins (for Jedi Shadow Infiltrators anyway) your 60 second single target cc, and on top of that, my stealth to get out of combat ability is now getting completely ignored and it still lets me "stealth", meaning I'm also slowed to boot.

Say "you aren't good enough at that class" all you want... I don't care, because honestly, I'm not, but I still want to play it. I like story, that's what I'm here for, so keep your PvP & balance complaints... they don't apply to me. This IS a story game... it just happens to also be multiplayer and an MMO. I like it for one reason, you like it for another, and that's ok. It does seriously gimp the character build when you can't use it the way it was actually designed, and that's a definite issue.

Edited by PloughedJester

I've also noticed my force cloak is a lot less effective. If enemies are channeling they will still still after I cloak and bring my back into combat, also dots will destealth me and bring in back into combat quicker than previously. The doors in star fortress will not open if your stealthed.

There are a lots of bugs in 4.0 for stealth.

Hey, can we get the encounters in KotFE changed so that the enemies don't IMMEDIATELY start attacking you as soon as they spawn? This makes playing a stealth class entirely pointless, since the stupid skytroopers just shoot you out of stealth (sometimes even using Suppressing Fire before they're fully spawned) and that's-that. Needs to be fixed.

I don't see the reason for QQ. You don't even need to open from stealth in Lethality for optimal DPS, and in concealment, if you're decently geared, you'll be 1 shotting most of the skytroopers with 1 laceration. Not a big deal.

Also.. it's *********** solo questing, the combat does not matter at all. You could literally just use overload shot and take out everything, it's not a problem.

OP has a valid point. He's not asking them to change *every* fight, just mix it up a bit. For the first few chapters, the vast majority of the encounters are with Skytroopers, which:

a) are Droids (so you can't even sleep dart one when you catch them not ambushing you);

b) have really high stealth detection in general

c) auto-break stealth ambush multiple times in a row.

It's not that it's hard to beat them, it's just not as fun as it is with other classes since they pretty much counter all of our strengths and our AOE sucks. My sorc, who has Force Storm as an auto attack, just nukes them and watches them have a siezure (since they aren't strong mobs) and die while her tank companion kills them. For surprise attacks, it's Overload *then* Force Storm if I don't want them to die too close to me.

It's not that it's challenging -- I've kited and circle-strafed them with Rifle Shot, and it's occasionally amusing, the difference is that the sorc gets to use her normal pattern while slicing through the butter.

That said, Sneak and our teleport work to overcome their stealth detection and the roll can get you past them if you time it right, so you can skip most of the stationary ones if you don't want to fight them (and you can open from stealth if you do). For ambushes, Cloaking Screen exits the fight and they won't follow (it's more like a single-shot de-stealth). Unfortunately, if there are too many groups you may have to wait for CDs, and we already move slower in stealth, so it just doesn't feel smooth. And since the fights are basically just rail shooters in between cut scenes, it feels more like work and not fun.

*That* said, we do have advantages with the boss types, who are mostly living and (oddly, for bosses), not immune to CC. A decent number of the fights actually don't start immediately after the cut scene, so re-stealth is possible, and when they do, Cloaking Screen resets the fight as usual. This actually makes the harder fights easier for us than non-stealthers, since there are a number of fights with multiple opponents.

For example, one of the first "real" fights (two hard hitting silver scions) killed my sorc. It was oddly bugged in that the tank companion continued the fight while I was down, and I was allowed to use the med probe and revive during the fight and then finish it. OTOH, my operative stealthed out, sleep darted one, killed the other easily, waited for back stab and viscous substance to get off CD and then killed the other one.

So it's not that the operative is seriously disadvantaged, it's more that we are the only class that gets penalized. Every other class has much better AOE, so if a group drops in by surprise, it isn't a big deal. We are the only class that has to seriously adjust our play style to the encounter or expend long CD abilities for trash.

Edited by eartharioch

Eartharioch beat me to it. OP is exaggerating with "bjorked" and "utterly pointless", but I do understand their frustration; the anti-stealth mechanics both in the story and in Star Fortress (auto-detecting mobs, auto-unstealthing doors and barriers) combined with the clear nerf to single target DPS and ongoing lack of any AoE make post 4.0 Concealment feel ... awkward? Don't get me wrong, it is still pretty viable - it just doesn't feel "right" any longer (subjective opinion of course).

Is this a serious post? I mean really...everything storywise, you can spam your "1" key and clear. Your talking about a bad rotation? I can't even get INTO a rotation...on any class...nothing takes more than 2-3 hits to down, even with healing toons. Do you have gear equipped?

Is this a serious post? I mean really...everything storywise, you can spam your "1" key and clear. Your talking about a bad rotation? I can't even get INTO a rotation...on any class...nothing takes more than 2-3 hits to down, even with healing toons. Do you have gear equipped?

Maybe you should read some of the other posts in this thread before hitting reply...http://www.swtor.com/community/showpost.php?p=8576613&postcount=12

Oh, and:

everything storywise, you can spam your "1" key and clear.

You say that like it's a *good* thing.

Edited by eartharioch

you stealthers would be able to skip 95% of the combat and only fight bosses.
Isn't that how a lot of stealthers play anyway? Besides being one of the perks to having stealth, skipping fights and going straight to the boss fits the whole Scoundrel/Operative mo of slipping in unseen and striking at the heart, rather than a trooper/bounty hunter blasting the doors open and mowing the place down.

Besides all this, scoundrel/ops and sin/shadow are built around stealth, and these new encounters completely negate one of the core functions of the class.

Isn't that how a lot of stealthers play anyway? Besides being one of the perks to having stealth, skipping fights and going straight to the boss fits the whole Scoundrel/Operative mo of slipping in unseen and striking at the heart, rather than a trooper/bounty hunter blasting the doors open and mowing the place down.

It's only a perk because of XP inflation (and occasionally bad boss design). If it wasn't so easy to overlevel, stealthers would have to choose between skipping trash (which often has Bonus XP attached in addition to mob XP) or not leveling as fast as non-stealthers. Since we could finish missions faster by skipping trash, we could do *more* missions to make up for that, balancing out the time savings.

On my operative (who did manage to stealth past a lot of Skytroopers as described above), I still went from 60-65 doing nothing but KotFE chapters 1-6 using only 2 major and one minor XP buff (all I had). My free-60 Sorc (with one XP buff) made it by Chapter 8.

Besides all this, scoundrel/ops and sin/shadow are built around stealth, and these new encounters completely negate one of the core functions of the class.

Ops have it much worse than sins. If my [Darkness] Sin gets de-stealth-whacked, I use Wither, Lacerate, and Overload (if amusing), which is exactly what I'd use if I chose to attack a group of mobs. OTOH, my op won't be behind them or get the extra damage and poison from attacking from stealth. My sin loses unneeded Damage Reduction.

Edited by eartharioch

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Yeah, I'm with you. When I play my scrapper in solo PvE content, I'm sometimes tempted to just slam my face into the keyboard and just sort of roll it around. I'm fairly sure I'd still win mostly every fight.

My companions just do gathering missions all of the time because I never need their help, including on heroics.

If there was ever a non-issue, this has to be it ...

• 5 months later...
i think it's weird people want to skip the mobs in the solo story expansion, and just stealth by them. With how fast they die, you save more time by just killing them and moving on. Plus, a single player game where you skip all the enemies is boring. Edited by cool-dude

• 1 month later...

Stealth is still a problem during certain Uprisings. Pull entire mobs before engaging. No use of hidden strike or sleep dart. Can not CC or open with our big hit. can not re enter stealth for another big hit (or escape),

Yes we can mash the 1 button, but it will take forever and we will be told our dps is terrible. :(

Edited by Fatty_The_Walrus
edit